Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

· Registered
904 Posts
One point I don't recall anyone mentioning is that building codes are really about safety.

Not about screwing "the little guy", but are at least partly to stop contractors from screwing people with shoddy and unsafe construction. And, of course, they are to try to save people from themselves too. A bunch of us on here know what we're doing with this stuff but many people have no idea and couldn't put a "button on an outhouse door" as my father used to say.

From what TS said it sounds like you can use your own lumber, it just has to be graded to makes sure it is up to code and therefore safe to use.

As to construction methods and minimum requirements, no one wants the cabin to collapse on them in the middle of the night because of snow load, or blow down on them, or burn to death because of inadequate egress.

· Registered
121 Posts
Which comes back to personal responsibility
That’s their guise, “safety”. Really it’s tax revenue and when you build something else they’ll come for more $$. Because we don’t really own our land we just rent it out like cattle stalls.
That said they should have the knowledge and best building practices available to joe public down at the municipality. I’d personally build “to Code” because I want a strong safe structure, what I don’t agree with is them telling me I gotta jump through hoops to buy their chit lumber and all the tax baggage and costs with it. More economy stimulation more tax $$ I suppose. Milked like cows

· Registered
17,692 Posts
Which comes back to personal responsibility
That’s their guise, “safety”. Really it’s tax revenue and when you build something else they’ll come for more $$. Because we don’t really own our land we just rent it out like cattle stalls.
That said they should have the knowledge and best building practices available to joe public down at the municipality. I’d personally build “to Code” because I want a strong safe structure, what I don’t agree with is them telling me I gotta jump through hoops to buy their chit lumber and all the tax baggage and costs with it. More economy stimulation more tax $$ I suppose. Milked like cows
Sorry no cows here just us sheep :p:p as callled many times

61 - 64 of 64 Posts