Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I am contemplating whether I should run power to my camp. Presently it was is all approved and signed of by Nova Scotia power on build. I would just need the mast and the poles and lines. Used to be first pole free, don't know if that has changed? Anyone know the distance between poles? I have the generator building over the years but constant running gets to a person after a while. No I don't want solar!

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Well , I'm no help then cause ours is off line , solar and generator , we refused to go online with NSP , plus ive got enough panels up and back up batteries that the generator is barely used . I love the feeling not paying NSP a second power bill.

All i can remember was each pole in was $800 at the time and cost was around $10,grand after it was all said and done , that was enough to say f$&% it !

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well , I'm no help then cause ours is off line , solar and generator , we refused to go online with NSP , plus ive got enough panels up and back up batteries that the generator is barely used . I love the feeling not paying NSP a second power bill.

All i can remember was each pole in was $800 at the time and cost was around $10,grand after it was all said and done , that was enough to say f$&% it !
I know but I have passed up some items like a decomposing toilet system, a big propane stove etc . It just seems some things would be better if it were a flick of the switch, no generator or solar. The camp is wired by qualified electricians as per normal, approved by NSP. Opens the door to other things. The cost also wood add value. I am on the edge of residential housing just around the corner now as things keep expanding. All the land on my road sold recently to different folks from Ontario. Its nuts. Of course I would have a continuous bill. I also have a lot of rock which may make poles hard to install.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
I think the cost per pole method is no longer used but may be wrong I don't know

I asked for the 4th greenhouse build about 4 years ago( when I think I built it ) and was quoted just under $40.00 per meter plus tax after the first 92 meters ??? might have been 90 which they cover

Poles they would like to keep at around 60 meter spacing they said in my case and the length you pay is not from say the lines where you think they should hook on to the street or the distance you measure to your new stack

For example in my case they would not cross my driveway with lines so that added almost 250 feet to the over all length I had to pay

I said thank you and ran proper burial 6/3 wire from the garage to the greenhouses. Expensive yes but not even close to what they quoted me

I also have an additional pole already installed in my yard required to get the meter on the garage and give me a yard light that was installed in 2002

I wanted them to come off that pole which would have saved like 350 feet and they would not. They are a real pain IMO to try to work with on this stuff or were in my case

Cheers

Thunderstick I would call and ask doesn't cost anything for a quote

Sorry I was wrong it was almost 40 with the tax in for my quote

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Looks like it was 92M as per section 2.6 but no mention of costs after of course F'ers. Probally varies depending on where you live reading 2.6 and every case maybe quoted a different rate

https://www.nspower.ca/docs/default-source/default-document-library/nspowerregulations.pdf?sfvrsn=2353330b_0

Looks like this guy in Halifax had similar pricing to me from his post

In 2017 it was $36.29/m on any line distance exceeding 92m. When I say line distance, that's the actually distance of the power lines, which is not necessarily the shortest distance from nearest street pole.

We needed 3 poles, total distance ~180m (i.e had to pay for 85m), ~$3000 + tax.

I also remember they mentioned if they ran into problems setting the poles, there would be additional costs. Maybe if there's bedrock and they need to blast? Anyway they didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can't get poles to my camp so i bought a solar system. Put 4 x 230 watt panels on the roof laying flat. A 1500 watt pure sine inverter and a 40 amp charge controller. Hooked up 6 x 140 amp hour batteries wired for 24 volt. I can run a fridge, fan, water pump, TV, stereo etc and not have to run the generator. But i am still limited. If i could have gotten a power line ran in i would have gone that way. Solar set up ran me around 7000. Hired a spare hand and installed it. My generator now is like the old Maytag Man. It doesn't get much work.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I know but I have passed up some items like a decomposing toilet system, a big propane stove etc . It just seems some things would be better if it were a flick of the switch, no generator or solar. The camp is wired by qualified electricians as per normal, approved by NSP. Opens the door to other things. The cost also wood add value. I am on the edge of residential housing just around the corner now as things keep expanding. All the land on my road sold recently to different folks from Ontario. Its nuts. Of course I would have a continuous bill. I also have a lot of rock which may make poles hard to install.
I feel your pain on this issue , I'm good with having keep propane for the stove on hand and Diesel for generator and hard wood for heat I'm far from on edge of new development , thank @#%$ on that ! Plus it for us gives that more country feel of exclusion from big price gouging companies.

·
GREYBEARD
2,875 Posts
The prices 3macs1 quoted were similar to my prices paid five years ago.

Best thing is to get an appointment with a planner from NSP and be there with him to see how the power would come in( its free).

I had multiple planners come out because one was difficult and un yielding, and the other two were good to work with and provided a better route.

One things to remember is if the poles coming to your place are on someone else's property, even if along a road you need an easement from the property owners.

Second thing is NSP requires a 40 ft right of way cut for trees, along a road it would be 20 ft, as the road would constitute the other 20 ft, and a full 20 foot right away on your land.

In our case there was no power poles within 380 meters of our property and it was going to be an expense for the power and the tree cutting so I decided to do all the cutting with some help from family. I spent every minute that I wasn't working that summer out in the woods or on our property getting ready for power poles.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts

Best thing is to get an appointment with a planner from NSP and be there with him to see how the power would come in( its free).

I had multiple planners come out because one was difficult and un yielding, and the other two were good to work with and provided a better route.

One things to remember is if the poles coming to your place are on someone else's property, even if along a road you need an easement from the property owners.

Second thing is NSP requires a 40 ft right of way cut for trees, along a road it would be 20 ft, as the road would constitute the other 20 ft, and a full 20 foot right away on your land.

In our case there was no power poles within 380 meters of our property and it was going to be an expense for the power and the tree cutting so I decided to do all the cutting with some help from family. I spent every minute that I wasn't working that summer out in the woods or on our property getting ready for power poles.
I hear you. I asked why they could not hook up in front of the pole on my house rather than hundreds of feet up the street and the first guy that came out said no problem we will place a pole here

I said WTF that is in the center of my driveway do you know how many times the mrs and I will forget and run into that thing
sad.png

He says you sell flowers don't you plant some around it so you can see it better.
rolleyes.gif
Second guy was much wiser and gave me a straight answer at least

Cheers

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
I will give you my useless take on it. I have one of those continuous bills since 2002 and with the pole light averages 86 bucks every two months ( pole light I think is 28 bucks of that )

The positives are there IMO and a real NS power quote would help with the decision for you

Being good today handling the current system can change overnight. Then what???

I will just use my case walking 6 miles every morning strong like bull and four months later in bed for 9 months trying to get the strength to make the bathroom and bull never to return only a weak donkey
sad.png

Health and age is against both of us and there may come a day you will look back and thank your stars you can hit that switch especially in that beautiful place you built and having power would substantially increase it's value way more would it not than the cost to install the power and every year that passes it will get more expensive to do it

Me with all the positives you listed if I could swing it cash wise it would be done but again just my useless 2 cents and not my money
biggrin.png
biggrin.png

take care

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Never gave any thought to having to clear such strip for the poles. Thats interesting, I thought they would follow along my road. I will have to get someone out.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Normally I would say sell a few of your gun collection to pay for it but being levers that won't get you much money
tongue.png

Might pick up a chain saw and wheel barrel however on trade
wink.png
to help cut the strip

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Normally I would say sell a few of your gun collection to pay for it but being levers that won't get you much money
tongue.png

Might pick up a chain saw and wheel barrel however on trade
wink.png
to help cut the strip
You better look again, the ones getting the most rediculous prices on GP are levers. I could probably pay for poles all the way to Cape Breton if I cashed a few in.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Too bad the levers weren't a bit longer they would make good poles
biggrin.png
and finally have a purpose in life

Have to run mama's 60th birthday today and time to eat and have cake :) I am much younger yep
biggrin.png

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Too bad the levers weren't a bit longer they would make good poles
biggrin.png
and finally have a purpose in life

Have to run mama's 60th birthday today and time to eat and have cake
smile.png
I am much younger yep
biggrin.png