Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
So much anger towards everything... :-(
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some bad news....

Canada Goose says it will no longer use fur in its products
In move analysts say is driven largely by consumers, outerwear manufacturer to stop using fur by end of 2022
CBC News · Posted: Jun 24, 2021 12:43 PM ET | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

Parkas are on display at the Canada Goose showroom in Toronto in November 2013. Though the fur-lined hoods were once one of the defining elements of the company's luxury parkas, it announced Thursday that it plans to stop using fur to make its products by the end of 2022. (Aaron Vincent Elkaim/The Canadian Press)
Luxury parka maker Canada Goose said on Thursday it would stop making its products with fur by the end of 2022. The move comes after years of backlash over its use of coyote fur and amid a wider sustainability trend in the industry.
Department store Holt Renfrew, a retailer that sells the parkas, has also announced it will no longer sell products containing fur by the end of this year.
The entire industry is moving toward greener and recycled materials and away from animal products, according to retail analyst Farla Efros, the president of HRC Retail Advisory.
"It's the consumer that's the driving force," she said. "The more educated they are, the more knowledge they have, the more demands they're going to place and they're going to put a lot of stress on these manufacturers to ... become fur free."
Several Canada Goose peers, including Versace, Michael Kors and Gucci, have recently decided to stop using fur, while apparel makers Nike Inc. and Gap are looking to make their products more sustainable to cater to eco-conscious shoppers.
Good for the bottom line?
Last year, Canada Goose, known for its $1,000 parkas, made a move in this direction, saying it would introduce reclaimed fur into its supply chain, but the manufacturer's move today was more definite.
And the transformation still may not be complete. Canada Goose's website says it still uses natural down in jackets, even as some animal-rights groups allege the down industry uses painful methods to kill geese for making jackets.
Efros sees at least a five to 10 per cent bump in sales from Canada Goose's decision to stop using fur.
She says that for younger consumers in Generation Z, the use of fur is just not acceptable.
"Now this brand, which might have been on the peripheral for them will come back into their decision making process."
Overall, Efros thinks it's a good business move.
"I think it's going to garner unbelievable positive consumer response for them, and it's going to continue to grow the brand in a phenomenal way."

Employees work with Canada Goose jackets at the company's Toronto factory in April 2015. Industry analysts suggest that the company's recent move to go entirely fur-free is a savvy one as consumers push the fashion industry toward greener and recycled materials and away from animal products. (Nathan Denette/The Canadian Press)
Move could gain more customers
CIBC analyst Mark Petrie agrees that the move to go fur-free is a savvy one.
"The fur-lined hood was once one of the defining elements of the Canada Goose parka, and driven by the brand's foundation in function," he said in a note to clients.
"However, a step to go completely fur-free is consistent with societal and consumer trends, and we expect this move will win Canada Goose more customers than it will lose."
Canada Goose shares were trading at just over $42 a share on Thursday, up about three per cent on the day. Thanks in part to the move toward sustainability, Petrie thinks the shares could be worth almost $60 apiece by the end of next year.
While sales did take a hit during the pandemic, the manufacturer's overall business has continued to grow.
Founded in Toronto, the winter apparel company sold a majority stake to a U.S. private equity firm in 2013 to help expand its international market.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-goose-products-fur-1.6078356
Rob

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Not really surprised, another cuckhold company bowing to the social justice of the day. Add them to MEC etc.

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
Maybe they'll raise the prices to 1500 bucks a coat to offset the chinese synthetics they'll be using

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
We got notice of this over yr and half ago , Canada Goose gave notice thru fur auction houses that end date was set for use of Coyote and other furs in their line of jackets .
Coyote prices have been excellent due to this one being a large buyer , that will change very quickly .

No matter what I'll still trap em !

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
Maybe they'll raise the prices to 1500 bucks a coat to offset the chinese synthetics they'll be using
That won't be a raise. I think the wife paid almost that plus tax for her new expedition parka maybe two years ago :(
Cheers

yep just checked

and they are now over 1500
PBI EXPEDITION PARKA FUSION FIT
Fusion
$1,545.00

I do have to say mine must be 20 years old I think I paid like 600 at the time and I love it for ice fishing. Have not found a warmer parka

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
apparently not, ...probably no better than a carhart hoodie under a HH nylon lobster jacket...for warmth and protection...for a mere $250.00

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
apparently not, ...probably no better than a carhart hoodie under a HH nylon lobster jacket...for warmth and protection...for a mere $250.00
Try one before you condemn it. Heavy Parkas is something I have quite a few of especially duck hunting ones to compare against other cabelas, remington, browning etc etc
Mine from the goose people came from cabelas I think way back it was the same one they used in the dog sled races in alaska at that time now I think they use Apocolypse parkas
Cheers

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
It's already condemned because of the price. ;);) besides...I'm not doing any 10 month stints in Antarctica :D:D

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
It's already condemned because of the price. ;);) besides...I'm not doing any 10 month stints in Antarctica :D:D
Guess sadly you are not one of those lobster fishermen I know in the cape :)
600 IMO was not bad when I got mine since a good cabelas gortex parka was 300 then it is life time if I get the right size :p
Cheers

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
Joe...If I won the 70 million lotto max, I wouldn't spend 1500 bucks on a friggen coat.:(..I'd wear my heart on my sleeve in a second, but not my wallet...but then again, that's just me

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
Tell me, why do you keep referencing "lobster fishermen" every chance you get ???? you always get a poke in at them for some reason.
Got something against them ? Are they all to be stereo typed and lumped in together in your world ???
Do you begrudge them for finally making a "moderate" living now ??
...like what is it ??

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
Tell me, why do you keep referencing "lobster fishermen" every chance you get ???? you always get a poke in at them for some reason.
Got something against them ? Are they all to be stereo typed and lumped in together in your world ???
...like what is it ??
What are you talking about Kevin
I mentioned them since you are one nothing more nothing less
I have said it many times here they deserve every penny they make for what they do and I don't begrudge them anything . I will work under the ocean but not on top of it
But lets cut the crap and get serious here my buds will make between 300,000 to 500,000 this year after the bills are paid so can afford a goose coat even if 1500 my best year underground was 112,000 working 24/7 it seemed which is still big money down this way IMHO and that was in 1995 so not sure what moderate living is today but ask my buds and they are still poor
One is pulling his traps 2 weeks early and going to see his daughter in pei since he doesn't need any more income this year he says. I think about that and your moderate living comment. What would moderate living be in your opinion 100K 200 K etc
Maybe it is not the same where you fish but as he says the cape right now is lousy with lobsters
The days of the poor lobster fisherman doesn't exist here any more and I hope it stays that way
Cheers

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
Joe...If I won the 70 million lotto max, I wouldn't spend 1500 bucks on a friggen coat.:(..I'd wear my heart on my sleeve in a second, but not my wallet...but then again, that's just me
Nor would I but my wife did :( But I did spend 600 on one and think it was well worth it
Cheers

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
...like what is it ??
LOL Yes they keep messing my yard dropping off those dam gray plastic crates. Just opened one 10 minutes ago to find four single claw 4 plus pound lobsters in it . :love:Now I will be two hours cooking them 2 at a time since my pot is too small
I hate these guys :p:p for all this extra work at the end of a very long day NOT likely
Salt of the earth IMO my lobster fishermen buds and nothing we would not do for each other

GRR you bad boy 😄

Attachments

·
Registered
3,179 Posts

Here is another report on this topic the OP posted and nothing to do with lobster fishing !
Little bit more info , Canada goose clearly says it wants more ethically harvested items for its line . We all know PETA has DEEP POCKETS with Politicians on the PAYROLL !
Education is whats needed not propaganda bashing for nothing more than lining pockets of a Already Questionable Org applying pressure directly or indirectly on companies . Weak minded uneducated will take the first what seems reasonable response of what they think is how fur and feathers are harvested , Its been proven Animal Rights groups resort to low of lows and fabricate footage to say "See We Told You It Happens " streeeeeechhhhhh the truth to make mountains outta a anthill .

·
Registered
34 Posts
We got notice of this over yr and half ago , Canada Goose gave notice thru fur auction houses that end date was set for use of Coyote and other furs in their line of jackets .
Coyote prices have been excellent due to this one being a large buyer , that will change very quickly .

No matter what I'll still trap em !
Tyson;

Would like to learn the coyote trapping technique. Where would be a good place to start?

·
Administrator
9,924 Posts
A trapping course would be # 1. Contact the Trappers Association of NS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts