Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Yes no one here would know a big bear if they fell over it

Guess all the years in the woods my eyes have gone funny, can't tell when anything has real mass. The bear in the photo is walking on a road one could park two vehicles side by side. It is easy to see it is at least close to a 4x8 sheet of plywood and that is not the bear I refer to. I guess that would be a 90 lb bear you refer to that people bring in. I was going to retrieve my other disks from the cameras for more photos but that would be pointless.
Yep likely your eyes are gone let’s face it you’re are old!
I saw a huge bear yrs ago in Walton, out the Quarry road. He stood up on his hind legs and he was at least two feet taller then me and I’m 5’101/2 “ in socks! I know he was taller cause I went to where he had been and a particular branch that was in front of his neck was above my head. I was bow hunting the early season but my bow at the time was only 32lb pull ( didn’t realize it wasn’t legal to hunt with,lol). I left the area immediately after that cause the buggar had given me that “ get the eff outta here look! I have no idea what a bear that big would weigh tho.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yep likely your eyes are gone let’s face it you’re are old!
I saw a huge bear yrs ago in Walton, out the Quarry road. He stood up on his hind legs and he was at least two feet taller then me and I’m 5’101/2 “ in socks! I know he was taller cause I went to where he had been and a particular branch that was in front of his neck was above my head. I was bow hunting the early season but my bow at the time was only 32lb pull ( didn’t realize it wasn’t legal to hunt with,lol). I left the area immediately after that cause the buggar had given me that “ get the eff outta here look! I have no idea what a bear that big would weigh tho.
90 lbs.

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
In all fairness TS...its an azz on pic...on a woods road..and with nothing close by to reference it for scale (barrel..tree...ladder...etc) but he does look like a real nice bear.

·
GREYBEARD
2,875 Posts
It's all about perspective, we had a bear around home a couple years ago, and I would say it was 250 plus pounds, meanwhile my wife would tell family "it was just a cute little bear".
I wonder who was right??;)

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
In all fairness TS...its an azz on pic...on a woods road..and with nothing close by to reference it for scale (barrel..tree...ladder...etc) but he does look like a real nice bear.
Like I said its not the bear folks have seen and I had on camera. You got to realize where I am there are bears like no tomorrow. The farmer next to me shoots 14-16 a year as DNR offers no help to crop damage. Each year the numbers increase. I tried watching last year for him but he does not seem to be out about during the hunting season, then again he could be dumped in the woods with the pile the farmer accumulates. I don't care much for records. Many records have been broken believe it or not, many people just don't follow that stuff.

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
Don't forget...Ain't a record unless it's recorded ;);)

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Like Kevin says the bear in pic has no scale to view it from. I see that road as if you parked to trucks side by side both would be in the ditch. Like DDD says Bears can be tall . I have a video here where the bear stands and is well above a 5' fence Maybe 6.5' on his tippy toes. But he was skinny so maybe 250 less then 300 for sure. My 415 lber rug on the wall is 78 nose to base of tail with a 54 " arm pit . The only other bigger bear I rugged was 495 lbs On the wall was 78 " nose to base of tail and 58 across the armpit So his extra 80 lbs came in roundness not length.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
A quick judge to bear size can be by measuring across the track and add 1 . So a track 5" across plus 1 = 6 (for kevin and DDD) and that means aprox 6'x6' rug at the paws. Can still be skinny or large across the chest.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Don't forget...Ain't a record unless it's recorded ;);)
[/QUO
A quick judge to bear size can be by measuring across the track and add 1 . So a track 5" across plus 1 = 6 (for kevin and DDD) and that means aprox 6'x6' rug at the paws. Can still be skinny or large across the chest.
Good thing there are experts on this site to explain. Do you do roads too, maybe you could tell me the length of culverts I need?

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I do also inform on culvert length. Buy a 10 ' should fit nicely from ditch to ditch

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
😕😕

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Was just answering your question.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts