Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
2621 - 2640 of 2646 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thank you Pete
I have the cracked corn in the big bags use it for bluejays and the odd grouse that shows up . At one time pheasants but have not seen one of those in like 4 years now
I have to head to the coop next week to pay for the greenhouse soil so will pick up the rest

I am not trying to feed the deer to help them they are in great shape or for the mrs to take pics of them
This year they are eating the hell out of my 20 plus apple and fruit trees and if I don't do something to get them out of the yard I will have no trees left
I hope I can help them with the feed to hang out more over towards where I have the garden and away from my trees especially the honey crisp which they love those apples and now their branches and I am not talking eating just little twigs here
I have never seen them do such damage and these trees have been there some 20 years
Thanks again Joe
Maybe try scaring the hell out of them a couple times when they're eating. If you start feeding them you'll never get rid of them and could contribute to them permanently moving into the area. Much like in Truro.

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
Maybe try scaring the hell out of them a couple times when they're eating. If you start feeding them you'll never get rid of them and could contribute to them permanently moving into the area. Much like in Truro.
Thanks for the suggestion but they were born here and scared of nothing even my dogs. They are here year round and my garden feeds them in the summer :(

·
Registered
16,432 Posts
Hey Joe, Beaverhunter, I buy in bulk for the winter. Usually 1000lbs because it is way cheaper. It is a mixture of oats, dried molasses, and cracked corn. The Lands and Forrest recommends grains, usually oats etc if you are going to feed deer in the winter. They used to have a guideline on their site. If you want to mix up some feed yourself then I usually mix it 1/3 cracked corn to 2/3 oats. Go to the Coop Farm Store and get 2 bags "oats with molasses" and a bag of "cracked corn" if you want to mix it all at once. If not, then 1 scoop to 2 scoops in a bucket and mix it and put it out. Maybe just limit how much you put out at first. If you have a bird feeder and the deer are eating the seed, then they will eat this. During the deer season I will have some apples out and around mid Nov I will start to throw some feed right on top of the apples so they start to get used to it going into winter. I don't put feed out all year. They usually won't eat it when there is lots of green stuff around, but the bears love it......lol. When the bears show up in the spring, I stop the feed so the bears don't make my camp their home ! >Pete
Well Pete all done and out. Time will tell now
Have not seen them since but expect them today since they have been showing just before storms
Sweet jesus you never mentioned I would have every crow and raven for 10 miles :D:D

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,625 ·
Joe, crows and every other bird in the country.....lol. After a week I will get 4000 pictures on my trail cam, and 3500 will be birds. >Pete

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,626 · (Edited)
-

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,629 ·
All I see Gary is one snow flake up in the top left corner of Pete's post...lol
Kevin, Gary, I tried to add some photos but it wouldn't work. Funny because I haven't had any problems in the past ? One thing I would like to know is how many photos can you add to one post at a time. I think it used to be 10, but I think it may be less now ?? Also, how do you delete a post if you want too ? Thanks. >Pete

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,630 ·
A very brief walk down memory lane. In 1958 my Dad got permission to build a hunting camp (Cedar Grove Camp 1) on the edge of a 125 acre plot of land in Hants Co. Nova Scotia ( I was only 2 years old ). There is not many pictures of this camp but there was a lot family time and hunting there. Unfortunately that camp was destroyed by fire in 1986 (I was 30 years old). At that time I was able to buy a 5 acre lot from the landowner. A new replacement camp (Cedar Grove Camp 2) was almost immediately built at the same location as the original camp. In 1999 the land owner wanted to sell the rest of the 125 acres and I was lucky enough to buy it. I built a new camp in 2000 (Cedar Grove Camp 3) in about the middle of the 125 acres. Wow time flies.....22 years ago ! Myself / family and good friends hunt about 20 square miles of both private and crown land around my camp/property. Millions and millions of good memories have been made over the 64 years the 3 camps have existed ! You can’t put a price on that !! I have spent the last 22 years since I owned the 125 acres completing habitat improvement through selective cutting/thinning, building ponds and food plots etc. Still loving the place and looking for at least another 22 years. >Pete

Plant Wheel Tire Vehicle Green

Photograph Plant Building White Window

Water Building Plant Property Window

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,634 ·
man, youve got an awesome history there, Pete.

is the current camp a kenowee log kit?
Gary, I got the log cabin kit from Riverbend Log Homes in New Brunswick. At the time , they were the only ones offering cedar logs as apposed to pine logs. Cedar logs are rot resistant and are a natural bug (ant) repellant. It has stood up very well. >Pete

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,635 ·
Started some prelim work on my plots. I love the early morning at the Camp. Beautiful spring day ! I had a coffee on the deck when I arrived and watched the Camp Plot. There were actually some deer tracks in the driveway, but no action in the plot while I was there. I went to the barn and started the tractor to let it warm up as it has been a few months since I have had it out. I used the bush hog to grind up the remaining corn stocks. from last year. I did the same in the stand of corn in the West Plot. I then used the disc to break up the ground a little and partially turn in the corn stalks. The East plot was pretty dry but the bottom of the West plot was still a little wet/muddy. However I turned it slightly to help it dry out quicker. A good start. Another great day at the Camp !

Plant Sky Window Natural landscape Wood
Sky Plant Window Wood Branch
Sky Plant Natural landscape Branch Twig
Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire
Plant Plant community Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Sky
Tire Wheel Plant Tractor Vehicle
Plant Plant community Tree Land lot Grass
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Sky Natural landscape
Sky Ecoregion Plant Grass Agriculture

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,636 ·
Food plots for deer? There are a lot of reasons, but this is a good one. Just enjoyed another fantastic deer steak. This is how I like it , see the 40 sec video. Game meat is the best when fresh. Thankfully , vacuum sealed meat can be kept fresh for a long time. I still have a pretty good stash of deer and moose meat even though I do eat it regularly. Awesome burger , chops, the best steaks, including the round steaks. I like the chops/steaks cut between 1.5” and 1.75” thick. I take them from the freezer and thaw them completely , and then trim the outside edges and then age in the fridge for at least two days. Occasionally I use Montreal Spice etc, but not that often as I love the natural taste of the meat, whether deer , moose or bear. On the day I intend to cook it, I leave it out all day to warm it up to room temperature. Next is a hot, hot, hot cast iron frying pan with some burning butter. Sear side one for 3 minutes. Flip and sear for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and flip and add chunks of butter. Cover and rest for 5-7 minutes. Even the round steaks are juicy, tender and incredibly tasty ! I usually can’t eat that entire chunk of meat, but is it just as tasty salted and eaten cold the next day. By itself, or make a steak sandwich or with triskets and cheese......soooooo good !

Reactions: Tyson10gauge

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Food plots for deer? There are a lot of reasons, but this is a good one. Just enjoyed another fantastic deer steak. This is how I like it , see the 40 sec video. Game meat is the best when fresh. Thankfully , vacuum sealed meat can be kept fresh for a long time. I still have a pretty good stash of deer and moose meat even though I do eat it regularly. Awesome burger , chops, the best steaks, including the round steaks. I like the chops/steaks cut between 1.5” and 1.75” thick. I take them from the freezer and thaw them completely , and then trim the outside edges and then age in the fridge for at least two days. Occasionally I use Montreal Spice etc, but not that often as I love the natural taste of the meat, whether deer , moose or bear. On the day I intend to cook it, I leave it out all day to warm it up to room temperature. Next is a hot, hot, hot cast iron frying pan with some burning butter. Sear side one for 3 minutes. Flip and sear for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and flip and add chunks of butter. Cover and rest for 5-7 minutes. Even the round steaks are juicy, tender and incredibly tasty ! I usually can’t eat that entire chunk of meat, but is it just as tasty salted and eaten cold the next day. By itself, or make a steak sandwich or with triskets and cheese......soooooo good !

Lol- that’s what we had tonite,deersteak and veggies with chicken thighs on the side!
We eat deer meat regularly as well and usually scallops chicken or trout with it
Can’t remember the last time I bought a piece of beef,deer meat is way better anyway!
I enjoy a nice deer roast with all the trimmings too
But my wife does all the cooking here if she goes away or out with friends I sometimes through a steak on the bbq, but more often then not if she’s away I get take out! Cooking just ain’t my thing

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,639 ·
Your ground looks pretty dry. Christ mine is like a swamp this year and will be weeks before I can till it :(
Hey Joe, My ground is still very wet in many areas. I wouldn't dare take my tractor on the Camp plot as I might get stuck is is so wet and potentially mucky. But, some areas are dry enough. Early yesterday morning I used the disc to break up some sod in an area I plan to plant corn (East plot). It is on a slight hill so drains faster. With the sun yesterday, I was surprised how fast some of the sod dried, so I ran the tiller over it later in the day. I got some other areas done as well (West plot). A little rain today, but it looks like a good stretch of sunny days, so I'm hoping to get the ground prepared so I can plant near the end of the month. >Pete

Plant Sky Natural landscape Wood Branch
Tire Wheel Plant Tractor Vehicle
Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape People in nature
Plant Plant community Tree Automotive tire Grass
Plant Sky Automotive tire Tree Grass
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Tractor
Tire Cloud Sky Plant Wheel

·
Registered
618 Posts
Pete - Not sure if this has been asked before but, what's that tree stand beside the camp? Just for fun? Or one of your original stands from before the new build, left up as a memory?

2621 - 2640 of 2646 Posts