Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
2641 - 2660 of 2683 Posts

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,641 ·
Pete - Not sure if this has been asked before but, what's that tree stand beside the camp? Just for fun? Or one of your original stands from before the new build, left up as a memory?
Three of us at the Camp are bow hunters. We use that stand to check our bows to make sure they are on and to practice. We have a target we can move around the yard for different ranges etc. >Pete

Reactions: WoodsMaster

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
Jumpin jaysus Pete.....couple of bandaids...wipe its arse and that deer could go back to grazing 😄😄 More blood comin out of that now than when you shot it...lmao

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,643 ·
Jumpin jaysus Pete.....couple of bandaids...wipe its arse and that deer could go back to grazing 😄😄 More blood comin out of that now than when you shot it...lmao
LOL....some good though ! >Pete

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,644 ·
The Bears are back. That's my signal to stop the feed. The feed is good for trail cam pictures this time of year but it keeps the bears around. I had 7- 8 different ones last year. I wonder how many will show up this year ? I even got a picture of one in a scrape. Sure wish there was a spring hunt ! >Pete

Sky Cloud Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape
Cloud Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape
Plant American black bear Natural environment Tree Natural landscape

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
Spring seasons on now in NB. Was at the GunDealer yesterday..they said its been very busy all week with hunters coming and goin. Seen loads of muddy quads and sxs goin ...gun scabbard galore !!

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,647 ·
13 cubs in 9 years..... and that's just at the Camp ! This doesn’t account for any other potential bears in the surrounding countryside which I’m sure there are at least a few. The bear population has grown significantly over the last 10 years. For 50 plus years I have hunted exclusively at the Camp and never saw a bear, or sign of a bear (tracks) until 2010. I got my first trail cameras in 2005 . The first ever bear showed up at the plots in 2011. More adult bears started to show up after that and there have been a few big solitary ones. The first cubs weren’t until 2013. They were not newborn cubs, but cubs that were a year old so they were born in 2012 (triplets). Then another set of year old triplets in 2016. Then a set of year old twins in 2017 and a single newborn cub in 2018. Then there was a set of new born twins in 2020 and another set of newborn twins this spring (2022). A total of 13 cubs in 9 years. See pictures/dates they don’t lie. Bears are truly huntable around the Camp now.
I have the perfect set up for spring bear at the Camp/plots. The bears come every spring to clean up the left over feed from the supplementary winter deer feed I maintain for the deer. Also, they love the fresh green forage starting to grow, or growing in the plots. I would love to hunt bear in the spring. In the fall the bears are usually at other food sources (corn fields or berries) and hard to bring back to the plots. There is a chance to kill a bear at some of our fall deer stands. But they are mostly just a pain because they keep the deer away. Theoretically, based on 13 cubs, I could have killed up to 9 spring bears over the last 9 years and still been 4 bears ahead. Time for a spring bear hunt. Bag limit one bear per year whether spring or fall IMO. >Pete

Terrestrial plant Plant Terrestrial animal Midnight Working animal
Sky Plant Wheel Tire Natural environment
Plant Tree Grizzly bear Carnivore Natural landscape
Cloud Plant Sky Natural environment Tree
Sky Plant Working animal Tree Natural landscape
Sky Cloud Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape

Reactions: Tyson10gauge

· Registered
5,073 Posts
13 cubs in 9 years..... and that's just at the Camp ! This doesn’t account for any other potential bears in the surrounding countryside which I’m sure there are at least a few. The bear population has grown significantly over the last 10 years. For 50 plus years I have hunted exclusively at the Camp and never saw a bear, or sign of a bear (tracks) until 2010. I got my first trail cameras in 2005 . The first ever bear showed up at the plots in 2011. More adult bears started to show up after that and there have been a few big solitary ones. The first cubs weren’t until 2013. They were not newborn cubs, but cubs that were a year old so they were born in 2012 (triplets). Then another set of year old triplets in 2016. Then a set of year old twins in 2017 and a single newborn cub in 2018. Then there was a set of new born twins in 2020 and another set of newborn twins this spring (2022). A total of 13 cubs in 9 years. See pictures/dates they don’t lie. Bears are truly huntable around the Camp now.
I have the perfect set up for spring bear at the Camp/plots. The bears come every spring to clean up the left over feed from the supplementary winter deer feed I maintain for the deer. Also, they love the fresh green forage starting to grow, or growing in the plots. I would love to hunt bear in the spring. In the fall the bears are usually at other food sources (corn fields or berries) and hard to bring back to the plots. There is a chance to kill a bear at some of our fall deer stands. But they are mostly just a pain because they keep the deer away. Theoretically, based on 13 cubs, I could have killed up to 9 spring bears over the last 9 years and still been 4 bears ahead. Time for a spring bear hunt. Bag limit one bear per year whether spring or fall IMO. >Pete

View attachment 98222 View attachment 98223 View attachment 98224 View attachment 98225 View attachment 98226 View attachment 98227
They eventually ruin it on the deer by staying constantly in the area. When I plant they take over only to leave for a short time to eat corn etc over the hill. They return and one spends most of the hunting season waiting for them to disappear. I don't try to hunt deer at my cabin until after 1st week November. Last year they were still coming out in the evening as late as 20 November with snow. There have been years I stopped planting all together hoping they would move on. Be careful of your camp, we had a couple of bold ones that came while we we there, trying to get in through the main door. They smelled food. (Guests) have to not dump food sources out side. I went back on my logging road yesterday. There was ample sign of a female with cubs. They multiply like rabbits it seems. A farmer a klm down the road from me shoots 14-16 each season because of crop damage. It is a shame as they are just scooped up in a tractor and dumped in the woods. DNR will not get involved. Its been this way for many years. Its the only thing that keeps the numbers out of control. Good luck:) On a sad note the big monster that roamed through my property that I had hoped to show people just how big he was has been killed I hear as we ae getting new house developement going up every where, and he would not stay away. He was over 600 lbs according to what I am hearing. Shame, would have been a great hunt, great trophy. I tried but during the fall he only travelled at 1:30 in the morning. I called my camp little bear lodge, because there were more bear than deer.:)

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,649 ·
Finally , the first fawn tracks and trail cam pictures. >Pete

Road surface Asphalt Grass Concrete Soil
Plant Plant community Ecoregion Nature Leaf

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,653 ·
Made a trip to the Camp to check on the Camp and property after Fiona. Several trees had to be cut just to drive from the secondary highway into the Camp rd. Plus I cut a couple of trees across the Camp Rd to reach the Camp . Fortunately, the Camp did not sustain any damage. I’m very thankful for that. The hanging tree in front of the Camp is very exposed and accept for losing a few limbs is still intact. The Camp Rd runs through the middle of the property (125 acres). It was clear from driving the road that there are a significant number of windfalls due to the storm. The box blind at the Inbetween Plot was narrowly missed by a big group of threes that came down. However, the most depressing damage was at the plots. My best box blind was blown over. That box blind has been there for 12 years and been through many significant storms without any damage. The winds had to be pretty significant as it was picked up (platform and box blind) and thrown about 10 feet from its original position into the woods. I mostly hunt from the box blind in Nov so I have some time to make repairs. But , I will miss it on bad weather days in Oct. It will be a big job to disassemble the platform and box blind , replace damaged areas, and reassemble. Fortunately , the blind was prefabbed sections and screwed together. Hopefully that will make it easier to disassemble, repair where necessary and reassemble. >Pete

Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape Building

Plant Sky Branch Natural landscape Twig

Plant Wood Twig Grass Landscape

Plant Plant community Tree Sky Wood

· Registered
904 Posts
Glad to hear your place got by with minimal damage! Though I hate to see a lot big trees blown down its generally better than having your buildings damaged or destroyed! A shame about the elevated blind but from the pictures it looks to be quite salvageable with a bunch of work.
I have yet to go check on my sister in law's place in Malagash. I'm told the building didn't get damaged other than losing some the skirting. So that adds a big job to the "to do" list.

· Registered
5,073 Posts
Its my biggest fear each fall, the cabin substaining damage or my big platform stand like yours from high winds. It appears as if your leg assembly is still somewhat in tact. Pain for sure this time of year trying to repair. I escaped again here, no damage. When Nova Scotia had that big hurricane Juan I believe, half of the trees on my land where spun in circles into the ground, everything down. It was actually when I was building my cabin and had progressed to the second floor where the trusses and roof was on but the ends were wide open. With no time to close it made for a very sleepless night. I think being open the wind had no surface to contact and there was no damage. Very surprising seeing all the trees flattened. Hope you get her back up and operating.

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
Pete...thats all you've done since you retired...work ! Lol...looks like more has been added to your hunny do list. Have you heard from your friends in FLA ? Are they OK ? Much of an impact for them ?

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,657 ·
Pete...thats all you've done since you retired...work ! Lol...looks like more has been added to your hunny do list. Have you heard from your friends in FLA ? Are they OK ? Much of an impact for them ?
Kevin, my friends were out of State for the hurricane. I'm waiting to hear from them about their place when they get back. Thanks for asking. >Pete

· Registered
7,526 Posts
Good too hear the camp escaped. Too bad bout the stand tho. Be lots of blow downs in the woods and that could effect the habits of the deer. I’m half scared to go up that way !!!

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,660 ·
Whooo hooooo.......had some luck this week. Nice big buck, in good shape and nice and fat. I'm pretty happy! >Pete

Plant Sky Window Tree Wood

Smile Working animal Shotgun Plant Pack animal

Plant Sky Tree Koala Wood

Wood Font Tints and shades Trunk Water

2641 - 2660 of 2683 Posts