Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
2641 - 2648 of 2648 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,641 ·
Pete - Not sure if this has been asked before but, what's that tree stand beside the camp? Just for fun? Or one of your original stands from before the new build, left up as a memory?
Three of us at the Camp are bow hunters. We use that stand to check our bows to make sure they are on and to practice. We have a target we can move around the yard for different ranges etc. >Pete

Reactions: WoodsMaster

·
Administrator
10,924 Posts
Jumpin jaysus Pete.....couple of bandaids...wipe its arse and that deer could go back to grazing 😄😄 More blood comin out of that now than when you shot it...lmao

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,643 ·
Jumpin jaysus Pete.....couple of bandaids...wipe its arse and that deer could go back to grazing 😄😄 More blood comin out of that now than when you shot it...lmao
LOL....some good though ! >Pete

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,644 ·
The Bears are back. That's my signal to stop the feed. The feed is good for trail cam pictures this time of year but it keeps the bears around. I had 7- 8 different ones last year. I wonder how many will show up this year ? I even got a picture of one in a scrape. Sure wish there was a spring hunt ! >Pete

Sky Cloud Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape
Cloud Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape
Plant American black bear Natural environment Tree Natural landscape

·
Administrator
10,924 Posts
Spring seasons on now in NB. Was at the GunDealer yesterday..they said tits been very busy all.week with hunters coming and goin. Seen loads of muddy quads and sxs goin ...gun scabbard galore !!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,647 ·
13 cubs in 9 years..... and that's just at the Camp ! This doesn’t account for any other potential bears in the surrounding countryside which I’m sure there are at least a few. The bear population has grown significantly over the last 10 years. For 50 plus years I have hunted exclusively at the Camp and never saw a bear, or sign of a bear (tracks) until 2010. I got my first trail cameras in 2005 . The first ever bear showed up at the plots in 2011. More adult bears started to show up after that and there have been a few big solitary ones. The first cubs weren’t until 2013. They were not newborn cubs, but cubs that were a year old so they were born in 2012 (triplets). Then another set of year old triplets in 2016. Then a set of year old twins in 2017 and a single newborn cub in 2018. Then there was a set of new born twins in 2020 and another set of newborn twins this spring (2022). A total of 13 cubs in 9 years. See pictures/dates they don’t lie. Bears are truly huntable around the Camp now.
I have the perfect set up for spring bear at the Camp/plots. The bears come every spring to clean up the left over feed from the supplementary winter deer feed I maintain for the deer. Also, they love the fresh green forage starting to grow, or growing in the plots. I would love to hunt bear in the spring. In the fall the bears are usually at other food sources (corn fields or berries) and hard to bring back to the plots. There is a chance to kill a bear at some of our fall deer stands. But they are mostly just a pain because they keep the deer away. Theoretically, based on 13 cubs, I could have killed up to 9 spring bears over the last 9 years and still been 4 bears ahead. Time for a spring bear hunt. Bag limit one bear per year whether spring or fall IMO. >Pete

Terrestrial plant Plant Terrestrial animal Midnight Working animal
Sky Plant Wheel Tire Natural environment
Plant Tree Grizzly bear Carnivore Natural landscape
Cloud Plant Sky Natural environment Tree
Sky Plant Working animal Tree Natural landscape
Sky Cloud Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
13 cubs in 9 years..... and that's just at the Camp ! This doesn’t account for any other potential bears in the surrounding countryside which I’m sure there are at least a few. The bear population has grown significantly over the last 10 years. For 50 plus years I have hunted exclusively at the Camp and never saw a bear, or sign of a bear (tracks) until 2010. I got my first trail cameras in 2005 . The first ever bear showed up at the plots in 2011. More adult bears started to show up after that and there have been a few big solitary ones. The first cubs weren’t until 2013. They were not newborn cubs, but cubs that were a year old so they were born in 2012 (triplets). Then another set of year old triplets in 2016. Then a set of year old twins in 2017 and a single newborn cub in 2018. Then there was a set of new born twins in 2020 and another set of newborn twins this spring (2022). A total of 13 cubs in 9 years. See pictures/dates they don’t lie. Bears are truly huntable around the Camp now.
I have the perfect set up for spring bear at the Camp/plots. The bears come every spring to clean up the left over feed from the supplementary winter deer feed I maintain for the deer. Also, they love the fresh green forage starting to grow, or growing in the plots. I would love to hunt bear in the spring. In the fall the bears are usually at other food sources (corn fields or berries) and hard to bring back to the plots. There is a chance to kill a bear at some of our fall deer stands. But they are mostly just a pain because they keep the deer away. Theoretically, based on 13 cubs, I could have killed up to 9 spring bears over the last 9 years and still been 4 bears ahead. Time for a spring bear hunt. Bag limit one bear per year whether spring or fall IMO. >Pete

View attachment 98222 View attachment 98223 View attachment 98224 View attachment 98225 View attachment 98226 View attachment 98227
They eventually ruin it on the deer by staying constantly in the area. When I plant they take over only to leave for a short time to eat corn etc over the hill. They return and one spends most of the hunting season waiting for them to disappear. I don't try to hunt deer at my cabin until after 1st week November. Last year they were still coming out in the evening as late as 20 November with snow. There have been years I stopped planting all together hoping they would move on. Be careful of your camp, we had a couple of bold ones that came while we we there, trying to get in through the main door. They smelled food. (Guests) have to not dump food sources out side. I went back on my logging road yesterday. There was ample sign of a female with cubs. They multiply like rabbits it seems. A farmer a klm down the road from me shoots 14-16 each season because of crop damage. It is a shame as they are just scooped up in a tractor and dumped in the woods. DNR will not get involved. Its been this way for many years. Its the only thing that keeps the numbers out of control. Good luck:) On a sad note the big monster that roamed through my property that I had hoped to show people just how big he was has been killed I hear as we ae getting new house developement going up every where, and he would not stay away. He was over 600 lbs according to what I am hearing. Shame, would have been a great hunt, great trophy. I tried but during the fall he only travelled at 1:30 in the morning. I called my camp little bear lodge, because there were more bear than deer.:)

2641 - 2648 of 2648 Posts