Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
2661 - 2680 of 2683 Posts

· Registered
277 Posts
The rope tied to one antler, around the front legs and then tied to the other antler.
Ah, I see the rope you mean now. If I were to guess, it looks like it's keeping the head from rolling back. That could be too keep the windpipe and veins in line for bleeding out/drainage, or it could be to hide the cut throat for the picture. Just guessing here.

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,672 ·
Nice one congrats. What did take him with, on plot or back woods?
Thunderstick,

I have had plots for 20 years. In all that time I have only shot 3 deer in the plots. Although I’m basically a meat hunter, I prefer a nice big bodied mature buck. Antlers are secondary. I have seen plenty of deer in the plots and passed on a lot of intermediate deer over the years. Plus I really like to hunt in the woods (tree stands and still hunting). But, this buck I shot in the plot. He came in chasing a doe. It was quite a show. I wasn’t sure if I was going to get a shot with all the running around. Fortunately I did ! >Pete

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,673 · (Edited)
Nice solid deer, Pete. Congrats !! Just a quick question … why do you have it tied like that ??? I’m sure there is a reason for it, but I have never seen it before.
Buckmark ,

Good eye. I don’t like to see an animal suffer. When I got to the deer after the shot he was still alive. I quickly shot him in the head to end his suffering. Unfortunately the bullet slightly cracked his skull plate. His antlers were a little loose. I tied them in place so they would not droop and would harden in the correct position while he hung as I plan to mount the antlers on a plaque. >Pete

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,676 ·
Management buck I see...lol...WTG bud !! Is that the Ole 243 in the pic ?
Kevin,
I still have a very nice bear around. Therefore I was carrying the 300 A-Bolt. >Pete

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,677 ·
The buck I shot was known at the Camp as “Palmer”. He was a mature buck at 5.5 years old. His right antler was always irregular/palmated and that is why we called him Palmer. In fact, one year he only had one antler (left side) when he was 3.5 years old (2020). He was a regular at the plots, but usually at night. The one time I actually saw him in the daylight was a Sunday .....accept for the other evening. >Pete

· Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,679 ·
I was able to get a few pictures and some video of the buck (“ Palmer “) chasing the doe in the plot before taking a shot . It was about 5 pm when I noticed a deer run into the East plot . With my binos I confirmed it was a doe and she was clearly agitated. She then disappeared into the corn. About 30 sec later a nice buck showed up at the plot where the doe had entered. He stood there wind scenting and then moved into the corn. He was clearly following her scent trail and he found her and pushed her into the open plot. He then followed her into the plot in a classic chase posture. They were running around the plot. At first I thought I may not get a shot. Fortunately he stopped momentarily and I got a good shot and killed the buck. While the buck was searching for the doe in the corn, I did not see the doe. When I closely viewed the video I noticed I caught her running from the buck. I slowed the video down so you can see the doe running away from the buck. It was an awesome hunt and I’m still excited about it. See the 1 min video of the chase. >Pete

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
This is awesome Pete ! Sooo Kool watching them do what comes naturally. It was Ol Palmers favorite time of the year...WAS...lol You had great presence of mind to grab the camera first !
I did the same thing with that nice bear I chose not to harvest.
Well done buddy !!

2661 - 2680 of 2683 Posts