Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the cellular trail cam thing. I recently purchased a Tactacam Reveal Gen X 2.0. Does anyone use these, and if so … which SIM card are you using … AT&T or Verizon ???? It comes with these two. The online video says to use which ever one works better in your area. Just wondering whats best.

· Registered
129 Posts
I’ve done away with regualr trail cameras over bait. You unnecessarily put scent over the apple pile checking cams all the time wondering what came by, plus you’re able to pattern deer better. I’m only using regualr cameras over main trails leaving bedding areas or main deer crossings. I’ve tried a bunch and Tactacam is probably the best for the money

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the camera from Cabelas on line. They had a day with free shipping. $179.00 plus tax, it was $207 delivered to my door. My regular Browning cams were more than that.

· Registered
1,854 Posts
“682bubba
I was lookin for opinions myself my card reader just crapped the bed time to step up for next year so whats the price on those camera's”

I run Covert cell cams which I love but one of my buddies has 9 Tatacams at his sites and highly recommends them. He has also invested in the Solar Panels so doesn’t use the 12 batteries and doesn’t worry about batteries craping out. Not sure what his up front cost is for the panels but probably pays off in the long run.

Another option is a 12V 7 amp battery. I just run a covert cable from the battery to the cam. Much longer battery life especially in cold weather.

Young Guns were selling the Tatacam Reveal 2.0 for $179 plus tax or the Tatacam Pro for $199. The Pro has the GPS built in plus a couple more features. They do sell a lot of both Covert and Tatacam so they are popular.

Important to use a high quality SD card such as class 10 U3 32 gb. I’ve used others and had quality issues.

Don’t know what Tatacams cell plan cost is but is probably similar to Covets. I’m sure Camocam92 can answer that and which plan might be best.

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
Great timing for this thread...we were kinda kicking at the cat on doin this as well.
Do the costs vary much from carrier to carrier ?? Should you have a separate cell account for your cams ? Are you charged by the images per month ? Flat rate ?? what's the normal monthly / yearly addition to your cell bill cost ??
LOL...lots of queshuns...but enquiring minds want to know ..wink..wink..nudge..nudge.

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
Thanks BM !! I just saw some of that info on Cabelas website. so do you have to use an ATT sim card too ? how does that effect your Telus / Bell ? Shaw sim ?

· Registered
1,854 Posts
”KEVIN
Great timing for this thread...we were kinda kicking at the cat on doin this as well.
Do the costs vary much from carrier to carrier ?? Should you have a separate cell account for your cams ? Are you charged by the images per month ? Flat rate ?? what's the normal monthly / yearly addition to your cell bill cost ??
LOL...lots of queshuns...but enquiring minds want to know ..wink..wink..nudge..nudge.”

Yes Kevin lots of questions when spending money on cell cams It seems like Covert and Tactacam have similar plans. They also have excellent coverage (imo) compared to other brands. My cams are in West Hants in the middle of the woods and I’ll get pinged within seconds of when an image shows. I have the more expensive Covert which has the GPS option and the “Real Time” photo. With the GPS functionality I can pinpoint exactly where my cam is at all times and the “Real Time” photo allows me to snap a pic from home whenever I want. The photo comes back to my iPhone or iPad within 15 seconds

There are flat rates (yearly) or monthly. My plan (Covert) is $9.99 (US) a month for 5,000 pics which works for me. They have annual plans as well ie: $99.00 (US) for 50,000 pics. This is all done on line which allows me to cancel my monthly plan at the end of Nov or Dec or whenever and then re-activate in July, or Aug, etc. I‘m thinking that Tactacam Plans are very similar. If you have more than one cam of the same brand you can keep one acct and add more money to the acct but it doesn’t double your cost. I think maybe $5 more.

In my opinion you would be happy with either Covert or Tactacam.

· Registered
1,854 Posts
“KEVIN
Thanks BM !! I just saw some of that info on Cabelas website. so do you have to use an ATT sim card too ? how does that effect your Telus / Bell ? Shaw sim ?”

You use the SIM card ATT which is compatible (seamless) with Bell, Telus, Koodo, etc. I have Koodo and no issues.

Just insert a good SD card , do the set-up and you’re good to go.

· Registered
129 Posts
Personally I active my cams on a per need basis. So a vast majority of my cameras are active from August - January. And in certain spots I’ll replace with regular cams. I’m running roughly 25-27 regular cams and 17 cell cams now. But I’m saying that 7 are coverts, and I am soon getting rid of them for a number of reasons. Recently Covert got bought out by Feradyne, which a company in the outdoor industry which owns Rage and hawk stands. Since the take over the quality has dropped drastically, in both customer service and products themselves. So I’ll be selling off my batch of coverts at some point and going full Tactacam. I could go on and on, how much better Tactacam is than Covert now. Way better picture quality day and night time, way less technical issues. No adds all over the app like covert does. Way price points for features, the Covert Code Black is 350$ now were like 400 before. And Tactacam Pro is 199 and has all the same features and more like sending video. The only thing covert has on Tactacam is the price of the monthly plans

· Registered
129 Posts
Also for anyone looking into buying cell cams. I highly recommend using Class 10 U3 16-32 gig SD cards. They’re the only ones that are recommend by the manufacturer, and work consistently though you’re regular Class 10 U1 will work. And yes, if you invest in solar panels or 12V batteries 7-9Ah or higher they’ll last most of the season then just recharge them for next season

· Registered
905 Posts
I've been thinking about a new cell camera too. What about using the cellular cameras in areas without decent cell coverage? I hunt in Goffs and unless I'm in the tree stand I can't get a signal, and even then its slow and not reliable. So I wonder if I should even bother.

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
Just checked Cabelas and the Tactacam Reveal X Gen 2.0 is now on sale for $149.99. $30 cheaper than I paid a week ago. …. And free shipping over $149
Our flyers just came to the house and I saw that reveal X cam in it. THAT was gonna be my next enquiry to you guys but you already beat me to it BM...lol

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
“KEVIN
Thanks BM !! I just saw some of that info on Cabelas website. so do you have to use an ATT sim card too ? how does that effect your Telus / Bell ? Shaw sim ?”

You use the SIM card ATT which is compatible (seamless) with Bell, Telus, Koodo, etc. I have Koodo and no issues.

Just insert a good SD card , do the set-up and you’re good to go.

THANKS Gary ! I've been out of the trail cam loop for 7 or 8 yrs.

..we had 2 stolen so I quit donating them to the "new full camo dudes" rippin up the roads and imitating actual decent hunters. Getting an interest in them again with the posts you guys are putting on here. LOVE the GPS option !!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts