Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Registered
2,074 Posts
Make sure a cell trail cam works in the area you hunt, this province is absolutely terrible with cell coverage. You walk 50 yards off the trans Canada and you don't have coverage. Before shelling out money for a cam, borrow or ask around if they work in your area. I bought one and it didn't work where I hunt, I was lucky that I was able to sell to a friend.

· Registered
127 Posts
I've been thinking about a new cell camera too. What about using the cellular cameras in areas without decent cell coverage? I hunt in Goffs and unless I'm in the tree stand I can't get a signal, and even then its slow and not reliable. So I wonder if I should even bother.
There are directional and non directional antenna boosters you can buy off Amazon. The multi directional antennas come with 6-8ft of cable you can run up the tree and generally get better service they run like 22$. The singular directional antenna, you look on the cell coverage map, figure out the compas angle to that tower from wherever you are stand and point it that way. I’ve gone from litterly zero bars on any camera to 4-5 bars of service with there. They run like 60-70$ on Amazon. Haven’t found a place in the province I can’t get service yet
Thanks BM !! I just saw some of that info on Cabelas website. so do you have to use an ATT sim card too ? how does that effect your Telus / Bell ? Shaw sim ?
You use an AT&T SIM card which come provided with the trail camera and works off of, Bell, Rogers and Eastlink towers in the province. Doesn’t affect your monthly cell phone bill, you pay through the app before activity. Then it comes out on the same date that you active it. When you deactivate the camera, you’ll get charged 0.00$ a month showing that the account is still active

· Registered
904 Posts
THANKS Gary ! I've been out of the trail cam loop for 7 or 8 yrs.

..we had 2 stolen so I quit donating them to the "new full camo dudes" rippin up the roads and imitating actual decent hunters. Getting an interest in them again with the posts you guys are putting on here. LOVE the GPS option !!
I worry about theft so I have mine attached to decent size trees with cable locks. Won't stop some Ahole with time on his hands and an axe or chainsaw but other than that you would destroy the camera to get it off the tree. Sad that a guy has to worry about theft! I even try to make sure the path to my stand isn't noticeable from the main trail so as not to attract attention to the fact there might be something there to steal.

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
Exactly right Tony ! A lock will only keep an honest thief out !!!!
We had our 12 ft aluminum boat stashed at a lake yrs ago. It got moved a few times (no biggie) we found it. Then the fekkers stole the oars, seat cushions dipnet..etc, so we chained to a tree. They came in and cut the tree down ! Stole the boat that time ! This was in the bow water area...place we fished for 10 yrs without incident !

· Registered
1,854 Posts
“Camocam92 said:
Personally I active my cams on a per need basis. So a vast majority of my cameras are active from August - January. And in certain spots I’ll replace with regular cams. I’m running roughly 25-27 regular cams and 17 cell cams now. But I’m saying that 7 are coverts, and I am soon getting rid of them for a number of reasons. Recently Covert got bought out by Feradyne, which a company in the outdoor industry which owns Rage and hawk stands. Since the take over the quality has dropped drastically, in both customer service and products themselves. So I’ll be selling off my batch of coverts at some point and going full Tactacam. I could go on and on, how much better Tactacam is than Covert now. Way better picture quality day and night time, way less technical issues. No adds all over the app like covert does. Way price points for features, the Covert Code Black is 350$ now were like 400 before. And Tactacam Pro is 199 and has all the same features and more like sending video. The only thing covert has on Tactacam is the price of the monthly plans”

I haven’t had any issues with Covert (product or tech support) but with that said I if I was starting from scratch I would buy the Tactacam for one main reason. They are now running about $150 cheaper for the GPS capability. I would buy the Tactacams Pro for $199 instead of the Reveal 2.0 for the GPS peace of mind.

My Covert is 4 or 5 years old and no issues, pics are clear, etc. As far as Tech Support goes my buddy bought 2 new Coverts a couple of weeks ago. He tried setting them up at his hunting sites and was having issues with receiving photos. After a bit he climbed into his tree stand and called Covert Tech Support in Kentucky. He was on hold for a minute or two then some gal came on and within 15 minutes his cameras were sending photos fine. Maybe he was lucky enough to get a gal in a good mood 🙂

Bottom line I believe the quality of Covert and Tactacam is comparable (imo) but again if I’m starting out I would buy the Tactacam Pro mainly because of the price break. If you don’t have a worry of it being stolen then buy the cheaper Tactacam Reveal 2.0.

· Registered
1,854 Posts
Wasn’t aware of that as far as I know they have a built in GPS.

· Registered
904 Posts
There are directional and non directional antenna boosters you can buy off Amazon. The multi directional antennas come with 6-8ft of cable you can run up the tree and generally get better service they run like 22$. The singular directional antenna, you look on the cell coverage map, figure out the compas angle to that tower from wherever you are stand and point it that way. I’ve gone from litterly zero bars on any camera to 4-5 bars of service with there. They run like 60-70$ on Amazon. Haven’t found a place in the province I can’t get service yet

You use an AT&T SIM card which come provided with the trail camera and works off of, Bell, Rogers and Eastlink towers in the province. Doesn’t affect your monthly cell phone bill, you pay through the app before activity. Then it comes out on the same date that you active it. When you deactivate the camera, you’ll get charged 0.00$ a month showing that the account is still active
Thanks for the information! Much appreciated.

· Registered
904 Posts
Exactly right Tony ! A lock will only keep an honest thief out !!!!
We had our 12 ft aluminum boat stashed at a lake yrs ago. It got moved a few times (no biggie) we found it. Then the fekkers stole the oars, seat cushions dipnet..etc, so we chained to a tree. They came in and cut the tree down ! Stole the boat that time ! This was in the bow water area...place we fished for 10 yrs without incident !
That is beyond the pale! Miserable Effers!!

Here's a good one for you. Last year we put the two garbage cans out the same week as large item pickup at the cottage in Malagash Station. Some Ahole stole both garbage cans AND left an old electric range on the side of the road at the end of the driveway!!

Effers will steal anything!!

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I was watching a comparison review on the X Gen 2.0 and the XP ( I think that’s the one) and they recommended the XP just because of the GPS feature. When I looked for one online … it said they were discontinued. Obviously a different model than the one previously mentioned.
*** On another note … hopefully Camocam can answer this … my camera is out in the woods. I received one picture … that’s it. The deer are there constantly through the night. When I turn on the cam to “set up” … I waited for my signal strength lights to stay constant. (Full bars). The blue wifi light continued to blink. I then just turned the camera “on” and left. I watched a video this morning that I need to pair it with my phone. Question … could this be why I am only got one pic ??? I obviously need to go back in the woods and link the wifi to my phone. Somehow … I missed this step. I am hoping this is the reason for only getting one picture.… but then I am wondering why I got one in the first place. I‘m confused.

· Registered
127 Posts
Buckmark, with the newer cell cams you may have noticed that you don’t change the settings on the physical camera itself. So with the wifi, you can change all the settings on the initial set up. And also helps you aim the camera, cause when connected by wifi, it brings up a screen in the app, to see the cameras angle. But also make sure your photos are set to send timely. And 80% of my cameras are built to send a photo every 1 minute. Not having it sent timely or too long a delay could be why it only sent 1 photo

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So what you’re telling me … is that the only reason I would need to pair the camera to my phone in the field, is if I want to make changes to the settings or to get the live feed to position my cam ??? I have it set to timely … one picture with a one minute delay. The cam has been out since 3:30 yesterday afternoon, and only had one picture at 10:30 last night. The deer are there constantly.

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I have exactly what they recommend for an SD card. It’s possible that it could be spotty service. The camera is showing lots of service. Even when I tried it outside the house before I put it in the woods … it was still only taking one picture. It might be taking a trip back to Cabela’s.

· Registered
1,854 Posts
”Buckmark said:
I have exactly what they recommend for an SD card. It’s possible that it could be spotty service. The camera is showing lots of service. Even when I tried it outside the house before I put it in the woods … it was still only taking one picture. It might be taking a trip back to Cabela’s.”

I’m more familiar with covert than Tactacam but it sounds like you’ve eliminated some possible issues already. Maybe remove the SD card and see if the cam is saving to the card. If it is at least you know it’s taking pics but not communicating between Tactacam and your phone. Can you do a “real time“ photo (selfie) ? Also , is there a reset button on the cam? If so hold in the reset button for a few seconds.

If you can’t find a solution give their customer support a call. Good luck.

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I am not tech savvy at all. It seems like the app and set up is extreme easy. Would it have anything at all to do with my phone ??? Is the camera and my phone compatible ?? I have a Samsung S20 5G. If it wasn't compatible ... it shouldn't have even sent one picture. I had no pictures come through since 10:30 pm on Tuesday night, and only one picture in total. The deer are there ... so there is a problem somewhere along the line. I'll try to do the "selfie" when I go check it out this morning. I will also check the card to see of it is actually taking pics. Thanks for the help guys !!

· Administrator
10,807 Posts
I have the same phone BM....was wondering if they seem to work better with certain phones compared to others ?? Like to soak up as much info as I possibly can before I get a couple of these. GPS option will be front and center for me this time...that or a remote detonator of some kind ;) ;)

· Registered
1,854 Posts
Hey Bucky - talked to my buddy who has 9 of those cams out and he has a Samsung phone and no issues.

Also said you can put the app on your laptop or tablet if you think it’s your phone. I have my Covert cam set up on both my phone and laptop.

· Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I think I found my issue. I think I have virtually no service at all. I changed the settings to send one picture every 5 minutes. See if that does anything. There was some pictures on the card but only sent one. I connected to the internet of the camera and it said there was no internet connection but I was able to point the camera where I needed to and it did send me four or five pictures. I also change the location of the camera. It just may not work for me where it is.
.... and I do have the app loaded on my IPad as well. I just checked it and it received the pictures that the camera took this morning of me

21 - 40 of 51 Posts