Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here it is December 14th and the duck (inside) season is almost at an end. Only a little over two weeks left. Then, only an additional two weeks for Canada Goose season is left, and then that will up and disappear like a fart in the wind.

AND STILL NO FREEZE UPS OR GOOD "DUCK'N" WEATHER!

Mark my words, the cold weather will move in on January 13th or 14th - just in time to see the season come to an end. Then every time I make a trip up to the camp when it's all over, the harbor will be filled with 13 pound geese, all with smiles on their beaks and all giving me the finger....um, "feather!"

If I had my way, I would like to see the season for waterfowl and migratory birds start on the 8th of November (not October) and end on the 15th of February (not January). Bump it all ahead 1 month. But that is coming from a guy who hunts a tidal harbor and looks forward to freeze ups in the lakes, ponds, and sanctuary's where the geese and blacks tend to stay when there is no ice to move them out and on the search for a place to feed. (like around my decoys).

There are 140 geese tending in the harbor now, but they stay in the middle and leave just after daybreak, and come back in after dark. No creeping up on these guys! I wish there were more flying during the day... which if things were a bit more icy, they would be!

Nickerson.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are 2 geese in Bisset lake( near cole harbour) lol....and I saw a dozen or so down Chezz way last weekend....PLEASE MOTHER NATURE CHILL US OFF!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Amen indeed! Looks like a nice cool off coming for this weekend! Could even get 10 below Saturday night. Looks like I will have to stog the ole wood pile and get the Findlay up to a comfortable temperature that night. The rum should help too! Saturday is only suppose to be minus 4 or 5 as a high... I will be in my spot all day! Good duck'n to you both!

·
Registered
827 Posts
i agree, you don't even see the birds coming to my spot now until last week of dec. sometimes leter then that, the season should most certainly be moved ahead a month...............

·
Registered
65 Posts
Last year we had broad bills swimming around our wharves by the hundreds up until April. I didn't even see one until January though... all I have seen this year so far are Buffleheads, Blacks, and geese. Not even any golden eyes...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got myself a few teal, and only two blacks. No geese yet. I actually have noticed an increase in Bufflehead this year though....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Same discussion different year...lol I hear ya... take last 2 weeks of october and first 2 in novevmber out and then keep it open until the end of january sometime... I'll be able to deer hunt in peace...lol

I have seen lots of buffelheads this year and saw about a douzzen goldeneyes this year last year it was almost febuary befor the goldenys where around.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I hate to go against the popular vote, but I'm satisfied with the current season. It's an federal/international effort and it has to be extremly hard to negotiate a season right across North America. Without a doubt, our northern coastal hunting in this province would improve with a later season, but I think we're experiencing some warmer falls and the birds just arent moving well over the past couple of years. If we get some early freeze ups and the inland areas skim over with ice, it'd be a lot different with the dabblers movements.

My last trip out I saw all kinds of buffies, goldeneyes and lawn darts.....i usually see the bluebill balls way out, but they werent around.

At the end of the day though, I do find the hunting good. I move around a bit though, so if I was married to one bay somewhere, I may have a different outlook.

·
Registered
458 Posts
and to boot... the season is now over in PEI and the place is still loaded up with birds that have no more hunting pressure
to push them out so they won't likely leave for the remainder of the year....

Even the duck movements have changed drastically again this year.... hard to believe all of the cold weather gear is still packed away

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, the weather in the past few years is most certainly effecting the amount of birds that you see in the tidal harbors. I agree with Markus there! I suppose if you move around a lot and have the time to put in some serious hours during the season, one might have better luck with more birds. I however still believe that we as hunters need to adapt to the changing climate by trying to get the season extended, or at least have it start later on in the fall. In the places that some people depend on freeze-ups for birds, a later season would be welcomed. Some may disagree, that is why this is only my opinion. It seems like every year a "trip to the camp" for two nights and three days of hunting (as work tends to get in the way) costs more and more! Licenses, oil for the stove, gas to get there, shells, food, booze...etc. After all of this, weekend after weekend... it would be nice to see some more birds.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I could almost of guest your response Markus and can't argue with it seein the nice drake mallards and blacks you work so hard for. In my neck of the woods I've been runnin the roads and ponds and spent over 8 hrs one day hunting this week with not 1 shot on duck. Nice north wind, nothing at day break, tried high tide saw 2 then at dark saw zero.... even the dog seemed pissed off... she kept on lookin at me as if to say whats your problem? everytime a seagul flew by. Thats the 5th trip in 2 weeks and only 1 duck to show. Good thing I have time..lol

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I hear ya. We have spots we use to hunt traditionally and we dont even go to them anymore because the birds have changed so much.

Here's how it plays out for us.

Our early season blinds are over fresh water and there's decent numbers of resident birds. This use to be good hunting, but now due to over hunting and preasure, after about 2 weeks, these birds are shot up pretty good and whats left is well educated.

Our next move is to the salt marshes where the birds see little to no hunting pressure. These are resident birds as well, but move a lot more due to tidal habbits than then the fresh water residents.

Next, we follow the food. Most ducks in my area will abandon their water food sources and move inland to the fields. We follow the combine shedule and it doesnt matter if it's corn, soybean or grain...if there's standing water in a field, we hunt it. This is were the "pest mallards" are usually found.

Then we watch the weather north of our flyzone and look for cold nights and freeze ups. Once we see those, we'll scout before we hunt and we're looking at shooting points along the coast. We'll hunt these areas for the rest of the season and it might be atlantic ocean, bay of fundy or the northumberland strait.....all depends on where we're seeing birds.

That's pretty much our waterfowl cycle. It works, but it's a lot of scouting and moving.

Sea Ducks are on our late season agenda this year. It'll all be new to us. We usually just chase the puddle ducks and take advantage of any stray divers. I want to dump some big sea ducks this year.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I'm smack dab in the middle of the province. 15 minutes to the bay of funday, 20 minutes to the Atlantic....

We use to hunt our local fresh water blinds religiously, but when the birds movements changed, we had to as well. We put a lot of km's on over a season. 30 minutes to the Valley, 45 minutes to Eastern Passage, 2 hours to Pictou.

We've had 3 bad hunts this year....all at our local fresh water hole later in the season. If our blind wasnt full of someone elses empty shells, there was someone set up 70 yards in front of us...so it was no surprise about the results. Our best days are consistantly new spots we scout out.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sounds like you have better hunting in your area then we do on the southshore. Field?? lol, whats that? no fields to hunt down here, its saltwater estuaries, marshes and bays. we need a freeze up. we can scout all we want, nothing to scout for. what few birds are down here have taken refuge in Port Jolie, Port l'Hebert, Sable river, Haleys Lk, or St Catherines. I think that covers all the sanctuaries within a 20km radius.
Apparently years ago the season started in Novemeber a few times, at least here it did, not sure why they changed it back.
Like Ducker, my last few attempts hasnt resulted in much, 1 teal, 2 buffies.
On the bright side, getting colder saturday and sunday, might be a few good days ahead.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
You'd pretty liited in a 20km radius. Definately have to rely on the birds to come to you.

I just took a quick look on google earth and I see all kinds of fields around Bridgewater...some looked like pretty good sized farms. I'd start with the ones closest to the salt and work my way back. I know it's more work, but the payoffs can be good.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts