Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

CHANGES TO ATT AND RESTRICTED CARRY JULY 7 / 2021

4K views 39 replies 6 participants last post by  Winchester94 
#1 ·
Just FYI....some new legislative changes were quietly introduced on July 7 / 2021 for owners of restricted and prohibs.
This was received as part of an IPSC update for our club members at LRGC

Part of C-71 that started last week...concerning the ATT that's associated with your PAL.

Your PAL is still an ATT for any approved range in your province of residence, and you can use it to take firearms home , that you have purchased....ie...from joe blow down the street..or the post office (if that was your designated shipping delivery spot) or a store in your province so long as ONCE YOUR TRANSFER IS COMPLETE, AND IT'S OFFICIALLY YOUR GUN !

....so far so good right ??

NOW....your current ATT, NO LONGER COVERS YOU for taking your gun anywhere else !!!
..you can NO LONGER TRANSPORT it to a gun dealer...a gun smith...a gun show...the border...(( basically any ad-hoc trip )) you had planned.
For ANY of those trips, you'll need to get a short term ATT from the CFO's office !!!

PLEASE MAKE NOTE OF THIS...SO NO ONE GETS INTO ANY UNWANTED TROUBLE...UNKNOWINGLY !!!

GONNA BE A CONSTANT BATTLE PEOPLES !!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Gonna be hard to enforce unless they notify and cancel current ATT. Mine ( which is in my wallet- the little piece we discussed a while back) says right on it that I can transport to the places you listed. They have to notify valid holders of current ATT of changes especially if they intend to cancel the conditions written on the ATT.

#4 ·
Not if you're in a road block-check stop and someone asks or looks.
That info was passed out so that the average restricted / prohib gun owning law abiding citizen could be updated, kept in the loop and perhaps spared any problems in the future. Any excuse or loophole for them to extract a few more LEGAL firearms out of properly authorized owners is fine with them !
**Did any of the licensed holders get their personal notifications when the 1500+ of their firearms were listed as banned because of the same bill C-71 ? Not likely.
The gub'ment can do as they please PERIOD !! The onus is on YOU to be informed and to stay on top of the changes ! Ignorance of the law is no excuse. (( think I may have heard that some place before ))

#5 · (Edited)
Not if you're in a road block-check stop and someone asks or looks.
That info was passed out so that the average restricted / prohib gun owning law abiding citizen could be updated, kept in the loop and perhaps spared any problems in the future. Any excuse or loophole for them to extract a few more LEGAL firearms out of properly authorized owners is fine with them !
**Did any of the licensed holders get their personal notifications when the 1500+ of their firearms were listed as banned because of the same bill C-71 ? Not likely.
The gub'ment can do as they please PERIOD !! The onus is on YOU to be informed and to stay on top of the changes ! Ignorance of the law is no excuse. (( think I may have heard that some place before ))
Exactly
Cheers

#10 ·
My old man used to say..." If you throw chit at a blanket, sooner or later, some of it's bound to stick " !!

I'm amazed how often that applies in every day life

#12 ·
These changes were emailed to me ( and probably all restricted license holders) today and the RCMP will also send mail outs to license holders in the near future to ensure all are notified this is a legal requirement which SHOULD HAVE happened BEFORE the deadline but better late then never I guess.

#14 ·
Well the truth be known. It was decided after the fact that they MUST send out a letter / e-mail ONLY because so many gun owners didnot have a clue that c-71 even existed and were getting in poop
And you wonder why we are in the shape we are in. Gun owners cannot even take the time to keep up on how they are being screwed by these bills and then freak when the light finally goes on but too late then
Too many guys like this and WRONG , yes they can and they did 2 years ago with c-71
I quote

They can't just change your ATT whenever they feel like it. They have to revoke your existing ATT and issue you a new one (or cancel it altogether) and give you an opportunity to challenge the revocation. I would think you rexisting ATT is still good until license renewal time.

The correspondence
Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Document Parallel

#15 ·
The decision to advise individual license holders was made because their legal department told those in that specific dept of RCMP that they have a legal obligation to do so. The average persons in this country are not responsible to read and review every bill passed into legislation The news did not go into full details of the gun bill; nor do they for any bill passed by parliament or provincial legislatures The onus lays fully on the governments to ensure the Canadian public is aware of any changes to current laws and or new laws. Any licenses issued by the federal gov or provincial must be honoured until such time as those effected by any changes to said license are notified and given a reasonable time allotment to prepare for such changes. In Canada this is the law!
JUST AS THE RCMP WERE ADVISED BY THEIR LEGAL COUNCIL AFTER NUMEROUS COMPLAINTS BY CITIZENS EFFECTED BY THIS CHANGE

#16 · (Edited)
The decision to advise individual license holders was made because their legal department told those in that specific dept of RCMP that they have a legal obligation to do so. The average persons in this country are not responsible to read and review every bill passed into legislation The news did not go into full details of the gun bill; nor do they for any bill passed by parliament or provincial legislatures The onus lays fully on the governments to ensure the Canadian public is aware of any changes to current laws and or new laws. Any licenses issued by the federal gov or provincial must be honoured until such time as those effected by any changes to said license are notified and given a reasonable time allotment to prepare for such changes. In Canada this is the law!
JUST AS THE RCMP WERE ADVISED BY THEIR LEGAL COUNCIL AFTER NUMEROUS COMPLAINTS BY CITIZENS EFFECTED BY THIS CHANGE
And where did you get that misinformation. Please share.
Complaints were back in 2018 when this started and gun owners tried to change it not now after it was passed and law with a very clear timeline. July 7th 2021 in place pretty clear
Maybe law with other types of license but not this one You are so wrong here on this subject it is hard to even even grasp what you are saying and sadly you believe it to be true. There was no honored of the old license with this change. A date was given and that was it
This notification happened well over 2 years ago with bill c-71 and it is not up to the news or rcmp to tell you. Active gun owners that care about what is going on KNEW not to mention anyone that supported a gun org was bombarded with info on c-71
Another reason we are in the mess we are in no one cares or will put up any cash and join gun orgs since they think this stuff will never effect them and someone else can fight and spend their cash or as a nutz member said and I agree and quote

The change in ATT isn't new news, it's old news, as it has been in the works for a long time.
We all knew that this planned change was coming, and those that didn't know just don't pay enough attention to the changes in our gun laws, which is quite frankly pretty scary to me, to not be aware of such things.

Over two years ago CSSA members knew as one example

#17 · (Edited)
#19 ·
Actually people who were caught transporting restricted to the now other places had their cases thrown out because our government and authorities did not do their due diligence

#22 ·
OF COURSE THERE IS NOT ONE CASE ON FILE
When the CP ( crown prosecutor) office looks at charges against anyone for anything if they feel there is no case ; for whatever reason;they drop it. End of story, no case, no file, no record. They would need a warehouse full of computers to keep track of all the dropped/ thrown out cases just in Hfx alone.

#23 ·
I guess in your world the gov and the RCMP can do whatever they please. You know pass legislation making new laws and changing other laws whenever and however they please. Then just go arrest people the next day telling them ignorance of the law is no excuse. And as you say they have no obligation to let the masses know these laws were passed or changed. You know cause we the general population are expected to be in attendance whenever parliament is in session so we can be aware of all these new laws and changes, but then we’re expected to hustle home so we can attend the sessions of our provincial legislature in case they pass new laws for our home province and then hopefully get to the council meeting for our Municipality in case they make new bylaws.
THE GOVERNMENT IS 100% RESPONSIBLE TO ENSURE THE MASSES ARE AWARE OF NEW LAWS AND OR CHANGES TO CURRENT LAWS.

#24 · (Edited)
I guess in your world the gov and the RCMP can do whatever they please. You know pass legislation making new laws and changing other laws whenever and however they please. Then just go arrest people the next day telling them ignorance of the law is no excuse. And as you say they have no obligation to let the masses know these laws were passed or changed. You know cause we the general population are expected to be in attendance whenever parliament is in session so we can be aware of all these new laws and changes, but then we’re expected to hustle home so we can attend the sessions of our provincial legislature in case they pass new laws for our home province and then hopefully get to the council meeting for our Municipality in case they make new bylaws.
THE GOVERNMENT IS 100% RESPONSIBLE TO ENSURE THE MASSES ARE AWARE OF NEW LAWS AND OR CHANGES TO CURRENT LAWS.
Keep digging your hole 3D accept it you are WRONG PERIOD on this subject
And they have and groups/ individuals supporting us did attend parliament sessions. Get out of the weeds 3D and get into the real world this has been going on since 2018 and not new other than to YOU
Have to say I am very disappointed since you of all people I would not have thought didnot pay and support gun orgs and this big shock to you on the ATT process
makes it clear you don't since they kept all members in the know
Yet you wonder why we are in the mess we are in as gun owners and always say we don't support each other
Those words are cheap and useless and those people that peach but have no skin / money in the game are a big part of the problem and rotting us from within
Cheers

#25 ·
OK, Bought a Smith & Wesson 17-3 22 cal and it's being shipped from Ontario tomorrow, soooo I guess I have to get an ATT to transport it from the Post Office to home, is this what I'm hearing now, Also does the Post Office have the right to ask you if it's a gun and show them the ATT or give them the transaction # ? just wanted to know before hand.
According to the e-mail that I received from the RCMP there is no mention about the post office, gun shows, repairs, canada border, for verification, disposal, etc,etc

#39 ·
The new regs include permission to bring home your restricted from place of purchase and that includes the Post Office. Taking a gun TO the Post office is a different story, a separate ATT is required for that. Usually because you sold it and, since its no longer yours after the transfer, your ATT doesn't cover that gun.
The people at the Post Office have no right to ask you about an ATT, they are not police. As far as they are concerned you're just picking up mail. Generally they have no idea what's in the box. Usually only the nosy ones care.

#27 ·
I was told today from the CFO when I finished the transfer that I wont need a ATT to pick it up at the post office. your email from CFO allows you to transport it home until the proper certificate arrives. Now that is how the lady explained it to me, after that arrives it's to and from the range only with your gun club card, anything other you need a ATT . back to what it was before, hope that changes soon, hassle but can't let them know it, just smile, talk nice, tell them they are doing a great job, and stay safe,,lol

#28 ·
I was told today from the CFO when I finished the transfer that I wont need a ATT to pick it up at the post office. your email from CFO allows you to transport it home until the proper certificate arrives. Now that is how the lady explained it to me, after that arrives it's to and from the range only with your gun club card, anything other you need a ATT . back to what it was before, hope that changes soon, hassle but can't let them know it, just smile, talk nice, tell them they are doing a great job, and
You should get a new ATT this week,I got mine today. The conditions are on the new ATT, it also says “ carry this document with your license card as you must be able to produce this document on demand....” as it always did.

#33 ·
Got my new C-71 changes papers today also. I'll have a copy of it with each of my HG's, one on my stoopid phone and one in my wallet...JIC there's any crap I need to avoid !!

#34 ·
I know I asked this before but can anyone tell me what information is on that piece of paper that you must carry with you. I can see the permit that they send you and your pal card but there seems to me that there is nothing on that or no bar code just your name and address. just play the game I guess..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.