Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
381 - 400 of 408 Posts
Should point out that the statistics on adults living at home with one or more parent do not capture the reason for the living arrangement. Many adult children are starting to return home to take care of aging parents rather than pushing them into a nursing home.
In 1975, our first home cost $24000 and the annual salary was $40000. Today, a similar home costs $500000 and the annual salary is $100000. This is a big change which makes it difficult for young people to get anywhere.

I wasn't going to comment on this but what the hell, lets stir the pot a bit.

So you made 24k/year and your house cost 72k. You do realize that your house only costed 3x your yearly salary.

If anyone now could get a house for 3x their yearly income they would be all over that like stink on a monkey. Not counting outliers like living in a dump in Dominion, most markets including HRM housing is easily hovering in the 500k mark for something average that probably needs at least 50k in repairs after purchase. The median household income in NS is low and I can guarantee for the average scotian a home like that is easily 7-8 x their yearly income even before a down payment. Property taxes, sales taxes, and utilities and general cost of living are way higher even accounting for inflation than 1982. Cable TV in the 80's even though you got a handful of channels was $8/month, what's cable cost now at least 10x that amount. That's way more than your inflation numbers plus our world today has expenses that weren't around in the 80's. Say what you want but cell phones and internet could be considered necessities today not something you had to worry about back then yet another expense we all have today. Those high interest rates were both a blessing and a curse in 1982. If you could squirrel any amount of money away you were making bank with no risk. I don't care that $1 in 1982 is $3.14. The buying power in 1982 was so much better than it is today. A hundred dollars for groceries in 1982 could probably feed a family for a couple weeks. I spend $100 at the grocery store and I get 1 bag of groceries that lasts a few days. 4x what you made in 1982 is going to get chewed away pretty quickly by the taxes and other things you have to pay for these days. It's good that your daughter has a plan to pay everything off in 20 years, but life happens big repairs to a house can cause you to remortgage, hell you might even be a grand pappy if you are still around. Kids today are much more expensive than when you had your daughter. It's good to have a plan but life throws curve balls at us all. In conclusion I would say things are different today than the 80's, better or worse it depends on your perspective.
Sure did when I said my daughter will pay less than 4 x hers and actually just a shade over 3 x ( so where is the difference) and who uses cable now and interent is NOT a necessity nor is a cell phone I have not had one since 2004 and doing just fine That is enough for me and this foolishness Dumps in dominion what a joke that is You best drive in dominion and see what is there for homes far from dumps and many new homes being built Have two friends with million dollar homes alone and that is at our housing prices not cbrm and some way bigger and nicer than what is in cbrm My sisters home in cbrm is 850K and her freinds same home in dominion is 450 area dictates the vales and selling prices
Oh yes the daughter will have hers paid off in 10
I was 20 years I will make dam sure of that happening since I will sell off another old car or whatever to make that happen for her That is what dads do but knowing her she won't need help unless has to take another yerar of school to get into the hospital management which is her next goal but thinks she can do it on line to keep working fulltime
Cheers

Should point out that the statistics on adults living at home with one or more parent do not capture the reason for the living arrangement. Many adult children are starting to return home to take care of aging parents rather than pushing them into a nursing home.
In 1975, our first home cost $24000 and the annual salary was $40000. Today, a similar home costs $500000 and the annual salary is $100000. This is a big change which makes it difficult for young people to get anywhere.
That is a valid point. This is happening more often as well, due to increasing cost of living not enabling elderly people on fixed income to maintain a household. I would also believe that the numbers also don't take into account the influx of immigrants who choose to live in larger family groups at a single dwelling. My wife is a Canadian of Mediterranean descent, and many of her unmarried cousins are still living with their mom, into their sixties!

You nailed it with Laziness , simply put freaking lazy wanting handouts and use any excuse including mental health , Been there with both daughters for mental health , one of the reasons I take a Mental Heath first aid course every 3 yrs . My daughters have worked thru their mental health issues and went on to train , and educate themselves and push to find well paying jobs . Jobs are there just need get off their a$$ and got look for them or apply , pretty bad they must move away , but it is better sitting at home taking hand out ir work and stay home alliwing mummy and daddy to foot the big bills o f life . Like mortgages , taxes and so on .
You have a lot to be proud of Walter and I am very serious and so should your daughters Mental health issues as you know is no JOKE Sadly I had to learn just how bad it can be after I got cancer and actually ended up in the mental hospital for a brief time with my battle and before I got real sick thought I was the strongest person around in that area WRONG big time and it hunbled me and sure opened my eyes Especially after seeing my room mate come back after shock treatments a old cow farmer from judique that lost his mrs and could not deal with it Super nice guy
It takes a very very strong indivudual(s) like your daughters with real good family support to get over it and I am so far ( 19 years now ) but now know the signs when I am slipping into that black hole and get very very busy with no time to think since I never want to be there again
You clearly are one excellent Dad regardless how we battle which is nothing but BS anyway and I have the upmost respect for you after reading your post
take care

That is a valid point. This is happening more often as well, due to increasing cost of living not enabling elderly people on fixed income to maintain a household. I would also believe that the numbers also don't take into account the influx of immigrants who choose to live in larger family groups at a single dwelling. My wife is a Canadian of Mediterranean descent, and many of her unmarried cousins are still living with their mom, into their sixties!
Most I know moving home to do that are living with the aging parents and taking the home over

Both of my kids got university eds and good jobs but the price of housing and lack of half decent apartments here is the reason one of mine is home atleast untill things calm down .
Been there as my oldest moved back home for almost 2 yrs but helped out , bought groceries , paid rent and even help foot part of the power bill , he simply said himself , I'm not being a burden to us and I'm helping while I'm home , I make good money so paying my fare share , getting a apt. Was no option due to trying buy a house , so he saved and helped us till he bought a place .

The average income for all families throughout Canada was $19,000 in 1975. 40k was huge money

You were doing very, very good to have $40k income in 1975. Even with two incomes!
In 1982 I paid $35k for a baby split in Grand Bay outside Saint John that had really big issues (that I had the expertise to fix). All other places were over the $50k mark at the time and mortgage interest rates were around 19%. At that time I made around $24k and my wife maybe $5k a year.

The older of my two stepsons who us 28 still lives with us. He pays board. He is a programmer and still works from home since the pandemic started. Part of the reason he's still here is that he has been taking courses toward his degree while working full time, which he will be finished at the end of July. We wanted to make sure he could focus on his work and school and he is no trouble at all. Plus we have a free house and pet sitter when we travel. He makes very good money and handles it extremely well just like his mother thankfully. In this case it is better for him and us for him to still live at home.
Now if we could only get him to stop using so damm much toilet paper!!!🤣

The older of my two stepsons who us 28 still lives with us. He pays board. He is a programmer and still works from home since the pandemic started. Part of the reason he's still here is that he has been taking courses toward his degree while working full time, which he will be finished at the end of July. We wanted to make sure he could focus on his work and school and he is no trouble at all. Plus we have a free house and pet sitter when we travel. He makes very good money and handles it extremely well just like his mother thankfully. In this case it is better for him and us for him to still live at home.
Now if we could only get him to stop using so damm much toilet paper!!!🤣
Put in a bidet toilet attachment. We have two, and they'll pay for themselves in no time, with the toilet paper savings. 😁

Yep the numbers at home or went back home during covid shot up over 55% and not sure how much they have come down Don't even go there about those having kids to make an income mrs sees it all the time in her job at the school like she says some get more a month than I make working
Had a laugh last week at the diabetic clinic The strips for checking blood sugar are 100 bucks for 25 days my plan covered them so I thought and did up to 500 I found out so the next batch I paid 100 bucks so this is going to get expensive Doc says the diabetic clinic will help and give you some and does for those not covered under a plan
WTf I asked and told my story she says sorry Joe you have to be on a government supported system for me to give you any :(
Cheers
I had neck and jaw pain years ago so they thought that it was tooth related. Took them all out on one side lower, nothing changed. They then cut the jaw open twice to investigate, found nothing. By that time my jaw then needed implants because of the mess left behind. I paid over $7000 out of my pocket. My insurance plan would only pay $1000 max. If someone in the family had claimed that year then you were sweet you know what. Government plan said they would not cover anything to do with implants as they were cosmetic, imagine. You wonder why I get pissed seeing my sister carry out this stuff at Dalhousie on immigrants for free, well not free we are paying for it also.

I couldn't disagree more! It is a great country! The best country in the world, bar none, warts and all. Let me repeat... "CANADA IS THE BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!" I'm not too sure where you live?

What Canada is.... is a country that has grown full of whiney, crying, negative, glass half empty, everything is broken, chronic complainers that seemingly are only happy when pissing and moaning about how everything around them is crumbling... and if only we could return to days gone by... you know, maybe "Make Canada Great Again" or some such foolishness? :ROFLMAO:

Now, back to wherever it is that you reside. Have you ever considered perhaps moving to a better neighbourhood? I'm being completely serious. Going by your post history you live in a community full of nothing but thieves, bums, welfare cases, undesirable (to you apparently) foreigners, stunters, aggressive/nosy neighbours, tax cheats and frauds, poachers and rule breakers of every stripe..... plus YOU. I'm mean jeeze Louise why wouldn't you want to relocate. Anyone in their right mind would want to get out of a place like you constantly say you reside. I don't blame you in the least. Every time someone tries to tell you things aren't really as bad as you believe, you state you know at least 3-4 separate examples in your neighbourhood alone. Regardless of topic. If it is negative, it is happening right in your backyard according to you. It is uncanny really. Truly a reverse Midas touch if ever there was one. Definitely 'special'. A head scratcher if ever there was one!

So in closing once again, CANADA GREAT.... Thundercloudville BAD. So please, sign up to Property Guys, get out of that hell hole you find yourself in, and welcome to the real Canada, we're happy to have you. Here in the real world it is mostly Sunny Ways!

Opps! Wait, maybe that isn't the best greeting for you... lemme work on that, and I'll get back to you. 🤔
Have you ever considered the tone of your posts? Its the same each time. You cannot help yourself. The guy that has had enough runs away, waits in the weeds, to only show up to insult people? I was wondering just how long before you would go on attack mode. I don't even have to comment on your limited posts and you come a running Your obvisously a big liberal that cannot stand anyone that is against this government. Its quite apparent in your posts the socks you wear. I am glad I am one of your favorites😀 Follow me for more posts big guy.

You were doing very, very good to have $40k income in 1975. Even with two incomes!
In 1982 I paid $35k for a baby split in Grand Bay outside Saint John that had really big issues (that I had the expertise to fix). All other places were over the $50k mark at the time and mortgage interest rates were around 19%. At that time I made around $24k and my wife maybe $5k a year.
COEI for MT&T

COEI for MT&T
Have never heard of it as a one person position ALWAYS A TEAM of individials forming a COEl team in any company I worked or consulted for You must be 100 with all the positions you indicated you have held :)
We were starting mechanical engineers for 30K with experience and out of school for 23 ,500 in 77
Regardless 40K was huge money in 75 for any position

And that was not bad money at all in 75

381 - 400 of 408 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.