Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I took the cooey for a walk yesterday and fired a number of shots through it, hoping that it would "fix" itself. No such luck. As long as I shut it with some force ... it works normally. One thing that I did notice ... the ejector doesn't "snap" the shells out.... the ejector just comes out and I have to manually take the spent shell from it. All my other singles "pop" them out when I break the action. Not sure if everything is related or not.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
I took the cooey for a walk yesterday and fired a number of shots through it, hoping that it would "fix" itself. No such luck. As long as I shut it with some force ... it works normally. One thing that I did notice ... the ejector doesn't "snap" the shells out.... the ejector just comes out and I have to manually take the spent shell from it. All my other singles "pop" them out when I break the action. Not sure if everything is related or not.
Did you find out if the guy bluing it dumped the entire receiver in the bluing with out taking it apart. Also was it hot or cold bluing. Is the chamber bare when you look in

How did it eject before you refinished it

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I bought the gun used a few months ago. It seemed to work normal from what I can remember. I believe the cocking issue is related to the ejector. I put a different 410 barrel on the receiver and it worked flawlessly. The only difference is, the barrel on the "non cocking" gun ... the ejector does not stay in the "locked" position. I can push it in and push up on the bottom of the ejector and it stays in place. I want to take it apart to see whats going on. I'm convinced this is my issue. How easy to take apart this ejector mechanism ?? I guess it's like everything else ... easy to take apart ... putting it back together is the challenge.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
I bought the gun used a few months ago. It seemed to work normal from what I can remember. I believe the cocking issue is related to the ejector. I put a different 410 barrel on the receiver and it worked flawlessly. The only difference is, the barrel on the "non cocking" gun ... the ejector does not stay in the "locked" position. I can push it in and push up on the bottom of the ejector and it stays in place. I want to take it apart to see whats going on. I'm convinced this is my issue. How easy to take apart this ejector mechanism ?? I guess it's like everything else ... easy to take apart ... putting it back together is the challenge.
I have never seen an ejector cause the cocking issue on a clean gun but also a gun that is rarely worked on since they are bullet proof so god knows . Two separate problems IMO, Can you post pics or send them to someone that can it may help

Ever think the other barrel was a different fit like every one is being hand fitted so is locking easily as it should because the fit is not tight

OK. Since you have two barrels put them side by side and look at the barrel lug, are the angles the same , the one that doesn't work rough on the flat do you have a vernier caliper to compare them

You keep skipping around the bluing. The gun worked OK when you bought it. Blued it and now it has issues two of them locking up and ejecting

If hot blued and not taken apart maybe the spring tension on the ejector was effected (so not popping like it should ) also when the barrel was done or there is gunk in there. Not hard to get that one out just some pins is it not. Sounds like you may be pushing up on the shear plate item 25??

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/winchester/shotguns-win/840-win

If you want to take it fully 100% apart not going to find better pics or explanation than what I posted earlier. Me I would not take it totally apart i.e. receiver since those springs can be real bears to get back in. I seem to recall one is a pure F'er and not easy for even someone that has done them before. I would take the stock off to make sure there is not a pile of crap hiding there to add more issues down the road

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=439116

Only trying to help which is just about impossible without seeing the gun in this case

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I have 5 cooeys that have all been blued by the same individual. I don't know if they were taken apart to be blued, or if they were hot or cold blued. 4 work like they should and this one is just not working properly. Everything looks like same on all guns. I swapped out barrels and the one barrel works great in the non cocking gun. The other receiver from the perfectly working gun, won't accept the barrel from the non working one. The only thing that stands out is this ejector. Maybe it's not allowing it to close the whole way ?? Like I said before ... when I close the barrel with some force ... the hammer will click in place ... but the ejector still doesn't pop out when opened. It's is a mystery. I will contact the guy and ask if it was hot or cold blued, and if it was taken apart. I can deal with it the way it is ... but I might sell it, and don't want to sell a faulty gun, and also don't want to spend anymore money on it.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
We have to forget the others since the cooeys are like dogs. No two are exactly the same for fits

Humor me

Take the two 410 barrels and place them side by side and take a hard look at all of the drift pins in the barrel lugs

Make sure none on the bad barrel is not protruding or recessed any more than any on the good barrel in the same position even slightly

Cheers

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'll buy it off you if your planning on selling it. You wont have to worry about it anymore

PM me your price and I'll emt your money.

If price is right I'll EMT your money

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Winchester94 ..... I took it for another walk yesterday. I made the decision keep it. It will be my "beater", as my other 410 is "minty" and I would like to keep it that way. Some say I change my mind like a woman ... so if I do decide to sell ... I will PM you first.

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
Those drift pins sometimes they'll move a little left or right and make it hard to close up easily. I had an old winchester 12 ga (IIRC it too was an 840 ??) the ejector was so worn the shells would slip in under it....forcing me to DIG em out with my knife every time I fired it. I eventually replaced it and then had some lock up issues similar..sounds like exactly what you're describing...mine turned out to be that pin not exactly in place. Took a candle and some soot to figure it out but I did.
wm_13365134.jpg

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
Also just discovered that my new laptop can copy / paste images from the web !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ohmy.png
ohmy.png
ohmy.png
OH HAPPY DAY
tongue.png
tongue.png
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Those drift pins sometimes they'll move a little left or right and make it hard to close up easily. I had an old winchester 12 ga (IIRC it too was an 840 ??) the ejector was so worn the shells would slip in under it....forcing me to DIG em out with my knife every time I fired it. I eventually replaced it and then had some lock up issues similar..sounds like exactly what you're describing...mine turned out to be that pin not exactly in place. Took a candle and some soot to figure it out but I did.
That is exactly what came to mind when he said that bad barrel would not go on the other receiver since all receivers are the same unless worn

Got me thinking maybe the bluing guy did take it apart which makes sense he would and didnot put the pins in the positions they were originally when putting it back together

Seems it doesn't matter he is happy the way it is

Candle and soot??? man your are old some used shoe polish.
biggrin.png
biggrin.png
Lay out dye since I can remember
tongue.png
or if stuck gear marking compound

Cheers

·
So much anger towards everything... :-(
1,568 Posts
Also just discovered that my new laptop can copy / paste images from the web !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ohmy.png
ohmy.png
ohmy.png
OH HAPPY DAY
tongue.png
tongue.png
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I haven't quite figured out the "why" of it yet, but some images paste fine and work great, others do not.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I would be taking that ejector assembly out of the problem barrel .and have a look .clean polish the parts and reassemble .

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I've pmd Buckmark on this issue ,

My take is simple, if it was never disassembled to be blued then there's scale/rust build up in places with almost zero tolerance of very little to begin with , also if cold blued then definitely there was no thouro cleaning preformed after wards, if it was hot blued and still no disassembly then dirt / debris / rust scale , got somewhere it should not of and did not get removed as proper hot Bluing , requires .

Disassembly is another one issue, if indeed it was taken apart , and not reassembled in almost exact way it came apart there alignment issue easily fixed . A simple removal of the rear butt stock , look in with flashlight and voila , one can easily tell if interior of the receiver was cleaned properly or at all .

Ejector issue is easy , just as Kevin stated a quick candle /soot application and can tell where it's binding on receiver .

Id say it's minor tweaking , but to be safe FULL tear down of all parts degreased just in case , polish with 0000Super fine steel wool , blow out with compressor and go about realign all parts to get to full functioning again .

That's my take , I've re blued over couple hundred single shots in last 34 yrs and only a few stand out with these issues , plus if by chance the person doing the reassembly lost a part and replaced it without telling or testing it b4 handing it back to the owner than fault lays solely on the one who re blued the gun to begin with . IMHO he would have a visit to fix said issue .

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Winchester94 ..... I took it for another walk yesterday. I made the decision keep it. It will be my "beater", as my other 410 is "minty" and I would like to keep it that way. Some say I change my mind like a woman ... so if I do decide to sell ... I will PM you first.
Your complete collection of 840's up for sale or some other cooey loving dude ?? hiding in NS

Cheers

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Those belong to a friend of mine. He contacted me before he posted them. Told him I was interested in the 28 and 410, but he won't break up the set. My collection have all been refinished and are "minty" condition.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Those belong to a friend of mine. He contacted me before he posted them. Told him I was interested in the 28 and 410, but he won't break up the set. My collection have all been refinished and are "minty" condition.
That is what I thought. I figured this was your other not as good set
biggrin.png
Also was not sure if you had the 16ga

IMO he is over priced for the set in that condition but I have no clue after last year watching what guns are going for now

Take care

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I thought they were over priced as well, but like you said, gun prices have sky-rocketed in the last year, so they may not be too far off. I have the complete set, except for the 36 inch barrel 12g. Don't think they ever made a 10g.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts