Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Administrator
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's everyone been up to in their gardens this spring with all the restrictions and shut downs in place ??

What have you been planting...or have you even planted yet ??

Will you be planting ??

Same as last year ?

Have you added any more veggie beds ? Any less ??

Troubles getting your seeds, transplants...etc ??

·
Administrator
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The past couple years, I've been slowly confiscating the wife's flower beds
ph34r.png
ph34r.png
....we've been adding sheep manure and some fertilizer for the past few weeks to each bed...prepping them for the onslaught of seeds. We got 80% of the beds planted...both hers and ours
happy.png
I leave a block MT for my second string bean planting end of June. My garlic is all doing great ! Every one I planted is up 10 inches or so ! Dill garden is making a move..
wub.png
I grow my own fresh garlic and dill weed / dill seed(saved) / yellow dill heads from my garden makes my dill pickles blue ribbon envious
laugh.png
laugh.png

NO VEGGIE TRANSPLANTS up this way at all this year...Kent, Wally World, Clem's ..even Halifax Seed has none...or VERY limited production !

Sooo everything I do this season will be from seed. Direct planting has always yielded better cukes, peas, butternut and spaghetti squash for me.

Halifax Seed does seem to have most other stuff tho. They're currently closed to the public...so you must order pay online and they'll email you with a confirmation and pick up time...curbside pick up only.

Just placed my last order this morning...got some purple potatoes and a bunch of other stuff for the grand daughters to plant...sugar snaps, peaches & cream corn, yellow / green / purple string beans, pumpkins, cukes and sweet millions cherry tomatoes ! We helped them start their first gardens last summer...only 3 round cloth planters and a row of snap peas on their back yard fence. Nothing any better than seeing them going with their little watering cans and then the excitement of actually seeing them growing. They had a bumper crop of string beans and peas last summer. Annnd their tomato plant was twice the size of mine due to the extra heat / temp difference they experience compared to ours here along the coast ! Days we left home to go visit..The temp on the Rav's dash said 18 C...get out there and it'd be 29 C !!!! Makes some difference in the growth of the plants !!

Anyways...Hope to hear from more of you..kinda interested in what y'all are doin ... don't forget..be safe and scrub under your nails
laugh.png
laugh.png

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
The past couple years, I've been slowly confiscating the wife's flower beds
ph34r.png
ph34r.png
....we've been adding sheep manure and some fertilizer for the past few weeks to each bed...prepping them for the onslaught of seeds. We got 80% of the beds planted...both hers and ours
happy.png
I leave a block MT for my second string bean planting end of June. My garlic is all doing great ! Every one I planted is up 10 inches or so ! Dill garden is making a move..
wub.png
I grow my own fresh garlic and dill weed / dill seed(saved) / yellow dill heads from my garden makes my dill pickles blue ribbon envious
laugh.png
laugh.png

NO VEGGIE TRANSPLANTS up this way at all this year...Kent, Wally World, Clem's ..even Halifax Seed has none...or VERY limited production !

Sooo everything I do this season will be from seed. Direct planting has always yielded better cukes, peas, butternut and spaghetti squash for me.

Halifax Seed does seem to have most other stuff tho. They're currently closed to the public...so you must order pay online and they'll email you with a confirmation and pick up time...curbside pick up only.

Just placed my last order this morning...got some purple potatoes and a bunch of other stuff for the grand daughters to plant...sugar snaps, peaches & cream corn, yellow / green / purple string beans, pumpkins, cukes and sweet millions cherry tomatoes ! We helped them start their first gardens last summer...only 3 round cloth planters and a row of snap peas on their back yard fence. Nothing any better than seeing them going with their little watering cans and then the excitement of actually seeing them growing. They had a bumper crop of string beans and peas last summer. Annnd their tomato plant was twice the size of mine due to the extra heat / temp difference they experience compared to ours here along the coast ! Days we left home to go visit..The temp on the Rav's dash said 18 C...get out there and it'd be 29 C !!!! Makes some difference in the growth of the plants !!

Anyways...Hope to hear from more of you..kinda interested in what y'all are doin ... don't forget..be safe and scrub under your nails
laugh.png
laugh.png
I scrubbed my woods road and an acre in front of my blind with the box blade down to dirt. Put down deer seed just before the rains. Was there yesterday the green fuss is just starting. Lots of deer and bear checking out the fresh soil. No gardening for me at home. Did not make sense, summer got to hot and dry to be wasting water. Only a little over three months to deer season
biggrin.png

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
No planting in the new green house this yr , to much on the go plus Cottage is in another county, today was rewire and put new back up spot lights on the Utility Trailer , one project goes and another gets tackled . Got clearing to do on one the trails to do very soon , Just waiting for a brush cutter to be delivered .

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
GREAT THREAD GODFATHER OF NSH!
Potatoes( red and Yukon) corn ( P&C and sweet) cucumbers,zucchini,squash,beets,carrots,beans,peas,tomatoes,radish,lettuce,lettuce and lettuce. Strawberries,highbush blueberries,raspberries (red,white and gold) and blackberries all doing good and garlic looking real good. Plus all the flower beds,shrubs and lawn. That's here at home.
On the job- building retaining walls, designing and building gardens,moving tons of top soil and mulch, cutting down trees and digging stumps for gardens. Going full tilt,my wife's buisness is shut down for covid so she's working with me so I bought her her own wheelbarrow! All that plus Reno of two bedrooms and bathroom.
Blackflies ended my fishing but got a bit of golf in, figure to be somewhat caught up in two- three weeks,then it's golf four mornings and one afternoon a week!!!
Ffs- tired me out just thinking and writing about this!

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Got all my seed at Hfx seed before lockdown except use my own seed potatoes.Always use seeds never transplants except for berries.Planted weeks ago,all poking through except potatoes! Will plant more lettuce,beans peas etc end of June.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
We expanded the garden
So we added 2 yards of garden soil and peat moss
Onion and garlic are well started
We got seeds started in the kitchen (squash, vukes, peppers, tomato)
Potatoes (yukon and red) picked up and will hit the garden tomorrow afternoon.
Will get a few transplants this weekend

Flowers for the front gardens will happen when i get a chance

·
GREYBEARD
2,930 Posts
Have not planted yet, but we will be planting soon, I will be putting in a new seven foot fence to try and keep the deer out this year.

No trouble getting seeds and supplies so far.

·
Registered
14,556 Posts
Have not planted yet, but we will be planting soon, I will be putting in a new seven foot fence to try and keep the deer out this year.

No trouble getting seeds and supplies so far.
Have you tried the soap and 30 pound fishing line fence. It worked for me for three years now and saved me a fortune. Some guys add little bells but I am too close to the neighbor for that

Was recommended by the coop manager here and I thought he was nuts but was right

I use 8 foot t posts and it must be clear line and 30 pound tried the rest and I space mine every 12 "

Yes I may have to repair it once or twice a season normally when a dog runs through it but lots of deer here and they stay clear

·
Administrator
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We got another block of string beans planted outside...and yesterday, I put my cukes, tomatoes, sketti squash, summer savory, thyme, rosemary seeds in containers in front of my LR window...commonnnnnnn sunshine
biggrin.png

My youngest daughter is a ECE..
cool.png
she made up a little gardening program and took some seeds to work to introduce her kids to growing / planting..the whole aspect of where some of their food comes from. She said that they were ecstatic and loved it.
wub.png
Their string beans broke the ground on the weekend...they were all smiles and very excited yesterday
smile.png
smile.png

·
Registered
647 Posts
I found very few transplants today, green peppers at Superstore in Elmsdale were $4.50 for one plant. I was looking for 10 plants. They can have them, went over to Withrows in Belnane 6 healthy pepper plants $1.99 and 6 Scotia Tomato plants for $1.99 got my red onions in doing great, my garlic is really doing good , usually only thing here grows are the weeds,

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I found very few transplants today, green peppers at Superstore in Elmsdale were $4.50 for one plant. I was looking for 10 plants. They can have them, went over to Withrows in Belnane 6 healthy pepper plants $1.99 and 6 Scotia Tomato plants for $1.99 got my red onions in doing great, my garlic is really doing good , usually only thing here grows are the weeds,
So your the guy growing weed in the woods!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Lovin the green house i built last year i was going to increase the garden but the wife took potatoes off the list so i got lots of room for corn, letuce and other stuff my garlic is almost 10'' high i got 43 out of 43 plants growin great seed Joe.Lookin forward to planting come june ,when do you guys plant earlier i guess on the mainland.

·
Registered
14,556 Posts
Lovin the green house i built last year i was going to increase the garden but the wife took potatoes off the list so i got lots of room for corn, letuce and other stuff my garlic is almost 10'' high i got 43 out of 43 plants growin great seed Joe.Lookin forward to planting come june ,when do you guys plant earlier i guess on the mainland.
Nice to hear on the garlic. Did you hit them with that high nitrogen slow release. Crazy as some may think I plant as my grandmother did by the moon and always have ( unless to busy with flowers ) and seems to make a difference

Cheers

https://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-calendar/NS/Glace%20Bay

·
GREYBEARD
2,930 Posts
Have you tried the soap and 30 pound fishing line fence. It worked for me for three years now and saved me a fortune. Some guys add little bells but I am too close to the neighbor for that

Was recommended by the coop manager here and I thought he was nuts but was right

I use 8 foot t posts and it must be clear line and 30 pound tried the rest and I space mine every 12 "

Yes I may have to repair it once or twice a season normally when a dog runs through it but lots of deer here and they stay clear

I did try the fishing line and it worked somewhat, but part of the issue with the deer is fence posts that need to be higher.

That will be the next job after I finish doing some landscape and grass seeding today.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Nice to hear on the garlic. Did you hit them with that high nitrogen slow release. Crazy as some may think I plant as my grandmother did by the moon and always have ( unless to busy with flowers ) and seems to make a difference

Cheers

https://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-calendar/NS/Glace%20Bay
15 of june i usually put the seeds in the ground depending on frost lol come mid to end sept i start pickin and pickling this year i limed to get the ph up to 7 ish last year it was 6.5/6.8 it seemed a little underwhelming.

·
Registered
14,556 Posts
I did try the fishing line and it worked somewhat, but part of the issue with the deer is fence posts that need to be higher.

That will be the next job after I finish doing some landscape and grass seeding today.
Interesting it has to be clear line and 30 pound. If they see it at all they will try to jump it

Been there

·
Administrator
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Picked up my last seed / potato order from HFX Seed today. I got 5 lbs of purple majesty potatoes,,,gonna surprise the grand daughters at harvest time
ohmy.png
for sure
wub.png
wub.png

We also went for covid tests, so I killed 3 birds with 2 stones today...lol

·
Registered
14,556 Posts
15 of june i usually put the seeds in the ground depending on frost lol come mid to end sept i start pickin and pickling this year i limed to get the ph up to 7 ish last year it was 6.5/6.8 it seemed a little underwhelming.
6-7 is perfect for a veggie garden one can go too far also with the lime so be careful 7.5 is really the max but IMO too high for example and causes other issues where plants cannot uptake their required nutrients and you are lucky since the power plant will drop it every year from the stack acid rain fall out. Mine was 5.6 when I started on that ground 4 years ago and have it around 6.3 after adding 800 pounds every fall for 4 years now per the recommendation from the lab in truro where I get a soil test every year

I don't think I will ever get it so I don't have to add
sad.png

Cheers

1 - 20 of 194 Posts