Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
181 - 189 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Man do we get screwed down here
Need 5 and 12 pound poly bags so called the wholesale to see if they had them yesterday by the case of 1000 and yep in stock $39.99 for one and $79.00 for the other
Just heading in to get them and the daughter called from Halifax and in the conversation asked what I was up to today
Let me check here I am coming home friday she says there is a place on Chebucto Rd I go to
Halifax wholesale $14.99 and $34.99 exact same bags so now I get 2000 of each :)
Makes sense to me cape is crawling with money with 15.9 % unemployment here and halifax with 8.7 % NOT
Talk about being screwed
Cheers

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Got this today. Have never seen anything like it in my life nor has a few of the big pumpkin growers here and they do 1000's a year
Yep twins a real wonder of nature they say and very rare
Then I thought just like my pals Buckmark and Thunderstick who are also joined at the hip like these guys , very rare and wonders of nature :p:p
Jaw Gesture Organism Cartoon Art

Plant Food Natural foods Squash Vegetable
Plant Petal Squash Flower Fruit

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Man do we get screwed down here
Need 5 and 12 pound poly bags so called the wholesale to see if they had them yesterday by the case of 1000 and yep in stock $39.99 for one and $79.00 for the other
Just heading in to get them and the daughter called from Halifax and in the conversation asked what I was up to today
Let me check here I am coming home friday she says there is a place on Chebucto Rd I go to
Halifax wholesale $14.99 and $34.99 exact same bags so now I get 2000 of each :)
Makes sense to me cape is crawling with money with 15.9 % unemployment here and halifax with 8.7 % NOT
Talk about being screwed
Cheers
I have a friend who is contributing to the unemployment numbers in the Cape. He moved there to do remote work and no sooner does he move there then his wife is already on the dole less than a week later. She had worked a brief period in Halifax and qualifies for EI and plans to stay on it and "not" look for work. They love the Liberal policies no wonder the Cape bleeds red.

The whole CERB and EI expansion benefits have made a lot of people just not want to work anymore, you see this with employers not being able to fill jobs in the hospitality and food services industries big time. And well the warehouse and shipping/supply chains are also screwed because of it.

That's why I laugh at the whole Guaranteed Income foolishness that gets floated around. If you are paying someone 2k/month to stay at home and they have a spouse in a similar situation and are bringing in 4k/month for doing nothing there is no motivation to work anymore. Plenty of people living in the country survive on less than 4k/month. How much more would you have to make for there to be incentive to go back to work?

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
I have a friend who is contributing to the unemployment numbers in the Cape. He moved there to do remote work and no sooner does he move there then his wife is already on the dole less than a week later. She had worked a brief period in Halifax and qualifies for EI and plans to stay on it and "not" look for work. They love the Liberal policies no wonder the Cape bleeds red.

The whole CERB and EI expansion benefits have made a lot of people just not want to work anymore, you see this with employers not being able to fill jobs in the hospitality and food services industries big time. And well the warehouse and shipping/supply chains are also screwed because of it.

That's why I laugh at the whole Guaranteed Income foolishness that gets floated around. If you are paying someone 2k/month to stay at home and they have a spouse in a similar situation and are bringing in 4k/month for doing nothing there is no motivation to work anymore. Plenty of people living in the country survive on less than 4k/month. How much more would you have to make for there to be incentive to go back to work?
Many days I ask who are the stupid fools here. Those that work 12/16 hour days 6 days a week or those that let the system take care of them
Not something I would ever do but have many friends that have been artists for the government all their life and now turning 65 and still have homes cars etc etc and far from hurting and most are red seal dudes that could be working somewhere in this country
EI is actually good here now at 15% there were times when the mines closed we hit 50% until the call centers kicked in. I remember looking for work in the mid 90's when it was over 25% and for years
Cheers

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
[/QUOTE]
My SIL bought over 5 lbs of small and really FN small potatoes from her garden the other night. Worst year for potatoes in the past 10 yrs ! What I've dug so far are all small to medium spuds...disappointing to say the least. Apparently were not alone...frien was talking to a few others at the campground, SAME STORY...all small stuff...from Bridgewater to Truro !
Well 92 days today and potatoes starting to die back. Pulled about 8 plants from the roll I have not touched with these new gold rush they told me
Well these new gold rush are nothing more than yukon gold IMO and no small potatoes for Joe either in red of white this year. Little bit of scab but not bad at all and the PH was way too high where I planed these. Front two are russets
IMHO it is all about the watering in the dry months to keep potatoes good size . All of these rolls were set up on dripper lines
Yes I am baking those apples down 25 pounds and making a ton of apple jelly which mama uses in her sweet and sour sauces
Turkey with my garden potatoes, cabbage, spinach, carrots and turnip for supper :) Life is good :)
Cheers
Food Plant Sink Ingredient Natural foods

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
I hear ya on the Tukey Bird meal..Joe !! Home made dresssing/stuffing will be done later, I do it now in a caserole dish instead of filling the bird...just getting ready to make my home made coleslaw now...that way it'll be chilled good for supper. I bottled 5 lbs of fresh cranberies 2 days ago...spuds, carrots and butternut squash from my garden to compliment the Turk !!...oh yea...beets, chow, mustard pickles and mashed turnip with sugar/butter too...in between this annual mayhem events....I'm going to prep and load some more 6.5x55 Lapua fire formed brass !! When I look back in my reloading journals, this is a pretty normal thing for me to be doing...Octember...Thanksgiving...hunting season close...it just melds together sooo well !
I'm still on the green side of the sod, sooo, You're absolutely right...Life IS GOOD !!!!!
I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR !!!

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
I hear ya on the Tukey Bird meal..Joe !! Home made dresssing/stuffing will be done later, I do it now in a caserole dish instead of filling the bird...just getting ready to make my home made coleslaw now...that way it'll be chilled good for supper. I bottled 5 lbs of fresh cranberies 2 days ago...spuds, carrots and butternut squash from my garden to compliment the Turk !!...oh yea...beets, chow, mustard pickles and mashed turnip with sugar/butter too...in between this annual mayhem events....I'm going to prep and load some more 6.5x55 Lapua fire formed brass !! When I look back in my reloading journals, this is a pretty normal thing for me to be doing...Octember...Thanksgiving...hunting season close...it just melds together sooo well !
I'm still on the green side of the sod, sooo, You're absolutely right...Life IS GOOD !!!!!
I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR !!!
Agree 100% Kevin fall is my favorite time also
We have to be brothers from another mother or at least cousins:D
That is why I mentioned the cabbage. I made the old coleslaw also
But a bit different this year. I grew but 12 cabbage since they take up so much room but had some variety pack from vessys so had two of six types
Yesterday I used some of all six types from purple to chinese and man did it ever make a nice coleslaw

yep picked way too many apples and baked down about 1/2 for more jelly than we need so now making apple crisp and a few pies with the boss
I am the peeler and the dish boy :D
take care of your self and pace, pace pace . I know it is hard to do but I pretty much have to now with my health
Frustrating yes but better than our other option being dead
take care

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Lol...daughters doin apple crisp (s) today...its 445 am and thinking about them now...lmfao

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Lol...daughters doin apple crisp (s) today...its 445 am and thinking about them now...lmfao
:) Yes mama only made three pies and the crisp wants to make more pies tonight
Today is wheel barrel compost day and put 20 miles on the wheel barrel depending how my legs hold out may be 10 today and 10 tomorrow
Dam garden is like 500 feet from the pile
Yep even my compost/ poop went up in price this year by 100 bucks :( and impossible to get
take care

181 - 189 of 189 Posts