Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
201 - 216 of 216 Posts

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Joe...do you plant garlic cloves with some of the fresh garlic showing ? I have a dozen large cloves with one side of the skins gone ( happened when breaking them apart from the stalk)
Last year I planted 36..got 33 back. Used all I needed..gave a few away to family...saved 20 bulbs.
I have 65 big cloves goin in today...and 2 small freezer bags full of extras for me and my familys winter stock !

·
Registered
15,750 Posts
Joe...do you plant garlic cloves with some of the fresh garlic showing ? I have a dozen large cloves with one side of the skins gone ( happened when breaking them apart from the stalk)
Last year I planted 36..got 33 back. Used all I needed..gave a few away to family...saved 20 bulbs.
I have 65 big cloves goin in today...and 2 small freezer bags full of extras for me and my familys winter stock !
No kevin. I eat those. I did at first but had poor success with them getting though the winter. Yes some would BUT
Too much of a chance for bacteria etc to effect them IMHO and I lose too many that look perfect when planted as it is. Like almost 400 last year :(
take care

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
thanks joe ! I put 4 in one corner ...4 in the opposite corner so they'll be easy to know where

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
I put them...lol

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Got a little more done this afternoon than anticipated...we weeded out 3 beds...took my dried dill heads and pulled all the seed for next years pickles..planted my garlic and covered it with straw...put my snow fence on the freshly cultivated dirt (to keep the neighbours fekkin cats from chittin up the place) pulled 20 bs of chieftan spuds out...2/3 of that bed still left. took 10-12 lbs of carrots out too..only a few left...maybe 5 lbs. I have to trim my sage plant and dry some leaves for the winter...use it in fried shrooms..pasta dishes..spaghetti sauces...great stuff

·
Registered
15,750 Posts
Got a little more done this afternoon than anticipated...we weeded out 3 beds...took my dried dill heads and pulled all the seed for next years pickles..planted my garlic and covered it with straw...put my snow fence on the freshly cultivated dirt (to keep the neighbours fekkin cats from chittin up the place) pulled 20 bs of chieftan spuds out...2/3 of that bed still left. took 10-12 lbs of carrots out too..only a few left...maybe 5 lbs. I have to trim my sage plant and dry some leaves for the winter...use it in fried shrooms..pasta dishes..spaghetti sauces...great stuff
Man you had a good day
I have to get back on track Monday with my head or I am going to lose my potatoes. They have to come out and the drip lines put away I may have split some with that heavy frost :(
Baby brother in Ohio had 1/2 his liver out yesterday two tumors one 16x10 and one 10x10 CM yes cm apple and a grapefruit
71/2 hours on the table and made it so far
He was the bodybuilder in the family and placed in the top three 3 times in the NS provincial competitions and even at 52 was a slab of muscle and still training. If it was me the big fat guy I would be dead
Yes Kevin he was a manager at Dupont for 15 years in Ohio and figured that is where he got the cancer like the rest of the dupont employees
My head was f'ked all week thinking about him. I hate f'n cancer I cannot even fly down to see him with my condition/cancer
take care

·
Registered
15,750 Posts
My SIL bought over 5 lbs of small and really FN small potatoes from her garden the other night. Worst year for potatoes in the past 10 yrs ! What I've dug so far are all small to medium spuds...disappointing to say the least. Apparently were not alone...frien was talking to a few others at the campground, SAME STORY...all small stuff...from Bridgewater to Truro !
Yesterday I took up the 100 foot roll of what I called the bonus roll. Something I tossed in july14th just because I had the land and the extra seed potatoes
The chieftians gave me about 170 pounds and huge. Like two or three every plant softball plus size with very few small overall. The russets, and goldrush I will never plant again they were few per plant and not of any size IMO
I took some reds in for deep fried fish and home made fries the mrs is making tomorrow when the daughter comes home for the week end
I will get her to take a pic
Today my bud is coming to help and get his 100 pounds I grow every year for him and we will get the last 200 feet out between us and just in time by the looks of the cold weather coming
These I am interested in seeing how they did since for the first time I planted them under the black mats
Cheers

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Me too..keep me posted please.

·
Registered
15,750 Posts
Quick pic of what I harvested yesterday and for home fries tomorrow . Most are this size and huge IMO. That is tim's plum jam almost gone in the pic :(
Best 100 foot roll I have ever grown
We did the 200 feet today and got pretty much in 200 what I got off 100 feet yesterday and goldrush a total failure might have got maybe 40 pounds terrible and small
The Chieftens reds were nice and what I normally get for size but nothing like yesterdays roll and once I get cleaned up I will outline the differences. Both had black mats used but differently
Might be an asshole in the small minds that matter not to me but man I can grow huge red potatoes :p and lots of them. Zero scab also on these and no hollow hearts
Cheers

·
Registered
15,750 Posts
Ok Kevin
Three hundred feet planted
100 goldrush and 100 Chieftain in one bed Bed 1
80 Chieftain 20 russet and yukon gold maybe 10 of each Bed 2

Bed one Planted July 7th
One foot spacing black woven garden mat with 10" diameter holes burned in on a diamond pattern
Same preparation, fertilization and drip line watering as bed 2 including two extra side dressings of fertilizer. once when about 8" and once later on after flowers
Full potatoes planted
Watered at least twice a week more some weeks
Straw over top only about 3" to keep weeds out of holes
Terrible crop of gold rush and reds about what I would normally see in open ground planting not all small but OK and average
Problems I had with this
Helped with weeds big time but
Hard to get seed potato down any depth with just a 10" hole to work under so used a tulip bulb planter but still too close to surface
Watering in mats runs and doesn't get to every plant the same
Same issue with side dressing of fertilizer and liquid fertilizer

Bed 2 Planted july 14th
Best Red potatoes ever and mostly huge
Differences
Mats run up both sides of hills leaving a 8" gap for plants to stick out
Potatoes planted 10-12" down
Drip lines in 8" opening and water and fertilizer going where it should be IMO
Straw in 8" gap around plants
Mats keeping the hills much warmer than normal which I think helped with potato size and volume and better control of water and fertilizer
A little bit of weeding in 8" top strip but very little

Next year all rolls will be the black mats on just the side of the hills and still looking for a good white potato to grow

Hope this makes some sense
Take care

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
trying to get caught up on this thread to get some garden stuff done before the shtty weather arrives. Man, there's great info here. shout out to you guys, especially 3macs, for taking the time to share your experiences.

·
Registered
15,750 Posts
trying to get caught up on this thread to get some garden stuff done before the shtty weather arrives. Man, there's great info here. shout out to you guys, especially 3macs, for taking the time to share your experiences.
NP. I am always wasting money the mrs says :) and trying anything new I hear about trying to make my gardens better and easier to do
A few I win :)

·
Administrator
10,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
IMPRESSIVE CHIEFTAINS JOE !!

·
Registered
15,750 Posts
IMPRESSIVE CHIEFTAINS JOE !!
Thanks kevin. My best roll ever
Forgot to add. I always use 3-15-6 with boron fertilizer mixed in when planting potatoes been doing that for years
No idea if true or not but told way back it is one of the fertilizers used in some pei farms
But that didnot make the potatoes so big since that is nothing new
However I normally side dress with 6-12-12 and this year had none in the stash so used a slow release not sure if that helped or not. Maybe the slow release did
I buy it in 50 pound bags but pretty much the same specs as this small refill bag one can get from canadian tire. It is a 12-4-8
Take care

·
Registered
15,750 Posts
Well since the mad beaver wacked me on the seeds and woke me up might as well share what my bud and I have seen this year
Real struggle this year for both of us to get what we need. I was at it about 2 months buyng from 5 different location across canada to finally get what would get me by he is not there yet

Price is up a bit but no big deal but finding stock of many types is just about impossible
If you are a planter that buys by the pound and need volume good luck might find some 5 pound bags but that is about it no 20 pounders etc like we use
All seem to be putting what seeds they have in little packs to make more money and if asked most will say it is to spread out what they have so more can get them

One thing I did notice is a small pack from say last year would have maybe 200 but this year maybe 50 or less

My beans for example I have to buy treated with cruiser applied to stop helmet head issues ( maggot) and they work well
Not this year only non treated in my types which means I will have to plant them like three times to get enough up to fill a roll and need three times the amount of seeds

If you are a guy/gal that just uses the small packs other than some common stuff like tiny tim or scotia tomatoes stock is no issue and you will be fine justv remember many have less seeds this year and some are old seeds from 2 years ago so expect poor germination so add a bit more when buying

If you are a guy/gal that needs pounds best start buying now and take what you can get

Just my useless feedback from what we have experienced

201 - 216 of 216 Posts