Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I usually cut the bigger ones...IF there's enuff eyes on em, and let the smaller ones go as is.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Are you cutting all your seed potatoes Joe or plant the whole spud ? If you cut them, do you let the slices harden off for a few days (week) after you cut them ?
I have tried them both ways and one year actually did a small test in the same roll one cut and one not 50 plants of each

For me now I leave them whole. I find I get yes a bit smaller potato but way more of them. When I did cut them I would make sure I planted three eyes at least sometimes that would be three pieces and yes I would cut and leave for maybe two days. Some guys coat them with a sulfur powder I never did and they were fine

Take care

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yea...I'll double up pieces with only 1 eye or no sign of any

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
LOL as you can see I store them in the greenhouse before planting so the eyes are like 1" long when they hit the ground so I know 100% I have three min
smile.png

Dam mama pissed the bed and is bellowing already to get moving. Going to be a long day I think
sad.png
but warm they say 15 degrees

Take care

OH yes I was going to mention to you. For the first time in my life I never ate those lobsters or most of them right away and took all the meat out and placed it in a bowl for later

Sweet jesus one doesn't get much out of a dozen average 1 1/4 lb lobsters. Must be 50 plus bucks a pound
biggrin.png

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Yep frost this week at the start, then 26 degrees C and then frost again last night
sad.png

Hard being a gardener in the cape

My bud lost over 200 tomato plants with the first frost scared to ask him today
sad.png

I have about 1200 pansy outside hope they made it since I didnot get up prior to sunrise to soak them with water

Take care

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yep frost this week at the start, then 26 degrees C and then frost again last night
sad.png

Hard being a gardener in the cape

My bud lost over 200 tomato plants with the first frost scared to ask him today
sad.png

I have about 1200 pansy outside hope they made it since I didnot get up prior to sunrise to soak them with water

Take care
FROST ,and that is why i don't plant till around the 15 th of june lol i'd rather wait for a few more days in sept before i pick than replant cause of frost.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
FROST ,and that is why i don't plant till around the 15 th of june lol i'd rather wait for a few more days in sept before i pick than replant cause of frost.
Agree 100% but we got burned last year with a heavy frost june 21st. I remember it well didnot listed to mama and lost a bunch of flowers because I left them out

Take care

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Late June..early July ?

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
When will the garlic be ready to use i can't remember if i asked that already
I normally get to cut scapes in july and don't harvest until there is at least five of the bottom leaves brown like mid august or later , then hang it for three weeks to dry but you can eat it green once you harvest

Take care

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
ahhh yes...the skapes are in july...first curl are the best I've read. Then watch for the brown leaves...that's right...Thanks Joe !

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
Joe..can you freeze skapes ? they seem to have an awesome, powerful garlic taste..even more so than the bulbs. I tried chewing on a couple last summer...had to use walkie talkies for 4 days to be able to talk to my wife
laugh.png
laugh.png

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I was thinking on adding one skape or a couple pieces to my dill pickles...I already use 2 fresh bulbs per 1 litre bottle when making them. I think a skape with a bud in the bottle would make a nice addition as well as a visual statement !

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Joe..can you freeze skapes ? they seem to have an awesome, powerful garlic taste..even more so than the bulbs. I tried chewing on a couple last summer...had to use walkie talkies for 4 days to be able to talk to my wife
laugh.png
laugh.png
Kevin. I honestly have no idea. All I know is I give bags of them away every year and those that love them love them a lot

In know one lady pickles them and I think Tim makes a paste out of them

I know for a week after I cut them like you say I cannot get the garlic smell out of my hands and yes they seem to have a nice taste

Maybe Tim will know

Take care

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Well it took three yrs but my wisteria is going to bloom.
Ha ha the nursery and everyone else said 5-7 yrs, guess they were wrong!

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Some place sell seed potato that are too small to cut up.
I usually buy from Hfx seed and these I just cut into pieces and try for two eyes a piece ( but I have planted pieces with no eyes and they still grew). And I cut them up and plant them right away, never any problems and alaways a good crop. But I do amend my soil every year.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
From this years preorders for veggie transplants here in our little part of the area the numbers are up. Seems more new people getting into gardening this year once again and those that tried it last year making their plots bigger
smile.png

Little do they know it is like reloading once the curse hit you it just keeps growing and growing and before you know it there are plants growing all over the yard
laugh.png
laugh.png

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
The bunnies are on notice
We are putting up a fence tomorrow before we have to replant everything. The buggars got all the lettuce, cabbage, beets and broccoli chewed to the ground.
I let the hounds out this morning and there was 2 in the side yard and another in the garden. Doesn't take long for Maggie to put the run to them, takes even less time for them to come back to the all you can eat salad garden.
They are on a very short notice to vacate the area.

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
That's what's gonna happen to the #$%$$% cats here
angry.png
angry.png
angry.png
angry.png

41 - 60 of 96 Posts