Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
We replanted the stuff the bunnies ate along with more cukes and a few seeds we started inside
Brand new fence around the garden too
I swear if them dirty rodents mow it to the ground again ill be working security one night

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
We replanted the stuff the bunnies ate along with more cukes and a few seeds we started inside
Brand new fence around the garden too
I swear if them dirty rodents mow it to the ground again ill be working security one night
Not going to work.
sad.png
The only thing works on bunnies once they know food it there is these
tongue.png

Time to make the donuts.Have a great day guys

PMSmdLk.jpg

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
My middle grand daughter (3 yrs) landed here for a sleep over as soon a s the restrictions lifted.
wub.png
Their sleep overs normally run 5 days or more
tongue.png

I started their first small gardens with them last year. Just a couple of 3 x 3 fabric planters and we used their chain link dog fence for the peas to climb.

...they had some real good sugar snap peas, a great crop of string beans but only 2 cukes and a hand full of small carrots...but they absolutely loved planting it. watching it grow and watering it all summer. Bean picking time they were wanting to go out every day and gather some...lol

Sooo..Yesterday Dalilah and I went out and she planted her green, purple and yellow string beans, some corn and peas...and a full bed of red potatoes (small bed..lol)...she kept saying...I can't wait to eat these
biggrin.png
biggrin.png
...THEN, she spotted my chives and it must have rekindled her memory from last year...she immediately went over and started pulling some out and eating them
happy.png
...she kept saying ...mmmmm..grandad...I love these.

We're going out to their place to get theirs started next week or two. Such a great experience for them to do this ..just to see the excitement and grins at harvest time are priceless !!!

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
blessed is what we are Joe.....we have 7 grand kids in total ..aged...(22 months, 3 yrs, 5yrs, ) my sons 3 girls...and my oldest daughter has 3 boys 11, 17, 20 and a girl in the middle at 14.

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
LOL...for a few years, my youngest girl and wife used to call us ...Farmer Clem and the clementines....
laugh.png
laugh.png
laugh.png

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
blessed is what we are Joe.....we have 7 grand kids in total ..aged...(22 months, 3 yrs, 5yrs, ) my sons 3 girls...and my oldest daughter has 3 boys 11, 17, 20 and a girl in the middle at 14.
That is awesome Kevin. I am still hoping for one :( and yes it will be spoiled beyond :)

Take care

·
So much anger towards everything... :-(
1,570 Posts
My middle grand daughter (3 yrs) landed here for a sleep over as soon a s the restrictions lifted.
wub.png
Their sleep overs normally run 5 days or more
tongue.png

I started their first small gardens with them last year. Just a couple of 3 x 3 fabric planters and we used their chain link dog fence for the peas to climb.

...they had some real good sugar snap peas, a great crop of string beans but only 2 cukes and a hand full of small carrots...but they absolutely loved planting it. watching it grow and watering it all summer. Bean picking time they were wanting to go out every day and gather some...lol

Sooo..Yesterday Dalilah and I went out and she planted her green, purple and yellow string beans, some corn and peas...and a full bed of red potatoes (small bed..lol)...she kept saying...I can't wait to eat these
biggrin.png
biggrin.png
...THEN, she spotted my chives and it must have rekindled her memory from last year...she immediately went over and started pulling some out and eating them
happy.png
...she kept saying ...mmmmm..grandad...I love these.

We're going out to their place to get theirs started next week or two. Such a great experience for them to do this ..just to see the excitement and grins at harvest time are priceless !!!
That's fantastic Kevin! Life long skills there. :)

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I hope so Rob...Kevin's oldest girl has been helping me make dill pickles and jams for the past 2 seasons...she loves it ..especially the end products...LOL

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
harvested some of the chives, oregano & sage. Trying something new (to us) with some of it - drying in the refrigerator.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
harvested some of the chives, oregano & sage. Trying something new (to us) with some of it - drying in the refrigerator.
I have an old frost free in the garage that works well for this method my new fridge in the house with auto defrost not so much with some

Let us know how you make out

Take care

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
Never heard of this method...anything I ever leave in the fridge usually wilts beyond goodness...lol

I've been using my microwave to dry out my dill weed ferns for my dill pickles. Works great !

..I lay a bunch ..single layer between hand towel...put it on a plate and give it 1 minute time....let it cool...check it for "crispiness" if it's not quite dry enuff, then put it back in for another 30 seconds...then I grind or crush it up.

I use it in salads..I put a tsp of it in each jar of dill pickles..along with my other stuff...some mix it with sour cream for an extraordinary dip !

LOVEEEEEE me dill
wub.png

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Yep a good hit of frost here last night roofs were white this morning

Out at 9.00 last night soaking the plants down heavy and back out at 4.00 this morning doing the same

Time will tell if I save them all :( Only about 5000 outside :( to lose

Have a great day guys,

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Cool here this AM...6 deg..but NO frost

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
We are in the cape and hoping our garden didnt get hit by frost. Only time will tell as we are here until Sunday
We planted everything so the garden is full, we filled the last 2 rows with swiss chard and more peppers.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
frost here last night - roof of house/shed covered in frost and a few patches on the windshield. Had a few things covered up and flipped the plastic hoops over the beds theyre on. All good.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
If any of you guys/gals want garlic scapes like previous years let me know since I would say mine will be cut in about another 7-10 days
No price increase this year due to covid still FREE :p
Cheers

·
Administrator
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I cut about a third of mine yesterday...gonna do the rest tomorrow. DIL and my daughter want a few to add to their repetoire of cooking recipes ;) ;) I was thinking on trying a couple of jars of pickled scapes...seem really popular in the canning circles.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts