Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Joe...do you top all your onions...either fold em over or cut off completely ? I never have...the BIL did some to try a few weeks ago to see if there was gonna be any major difference. ..all I did was "ring in " my onions so far (loosened the soil around each bulb)...first time trying that too 馃槒馃槒

Registered
Joe...do you top all your onions...either fold em over or cut off completely ? I never have...the BIL did some to try a few weeks ago to see if there was gonna be any major difference. ..all I did was "ring in " my onions so far (loosened the soil around each bulb)...first time trying that too 馃槒馃槒
I have only done it once Kevin with a cut off and never again. I do ring in but leave them alone like you
When I cut them I left a roll 12" away alone and the smallest were the cut ones in the end in my case
Cheers

Registered
I cut about a third of mine yesterday...gonna do the rest tomorrow. DIL and my daughter want a few to add to their repetoire of cooking recipes ;) ;) I was thinking on trying a couple of jars of pickled scapes...seem really popular in the canning circles.
Yes my two friends that grow garlic grow music and they have been cutting for about 2 weeks now
This year I have two new types and no music and I have to say they are growing totally different than I am familiar with
They both are about 1 foot shorter , very thick stocks and the scapes very small diameter and much smaller than music
One is a hot garlic they say so interested in what those scapes taste like
Cheers

Registered
This might not be the best place to post this question but... Anyone got a good recipe for dill pickles? I did some last fall but found that they were too salty.

Registered
This might not be the best place to post this question but... Anyone got a good recipe for dill pickles? I did some last fall but found that they were too salty.
I don't do dill only mustard and B&B some of the boys here do so they will chime in eventually I would say to help
Take care

Registered
Kevin is the master pickle maker
Im always in a pickle

Registered
Well it is July19th and finally I finished getting the garden in last night. Thank God
Flowers took longer to sell than I planned so I didnot get done what I wanted and originally set out to do but it will be a great test for all of us gardeners just to see how late we can plant stuff here in NS and get veggies
I will update the plan for a new reference point

Potatoes are getting cut back to just two ( maybe three ) 100 foot rolls one chiefton and a new one for me gold rush.
That happened and the third roll was russet and yukon gold. All up in 6 days unreal

That makes room for the 150 sweet potatoes I have coming the end of may. Excited over trying to grow those in NS
Sweet potatoes of 150 that came in only 102 made it to the garden other shoots didnot root or rotted

Beans will go from 18 one hundred foot rolls to 8 and 4 rolls of a new developed yellow pole bean monte gusto will be grown which are not the big bulky pole beans that we normally see and taste great
The 8 rolls of beans got in and came up in 5 days and are the nicest looking so far I have ever seen. Pole beans went to two rolls but same as four since transplants plants were spaced much closer and they were 12" tall LOL

So cucumbers will be two english varieties that have worked well for me outside in the past carmen?? and english telegraph fifty feet of each or 200 plants
Planted some all those types but only 75 plants

On the peppers there will be 300 ace and 100 hot wax outside and 75 different types of the real hot ones in the greenhouse
Only 200 ace made the groun and 100 hot plus 100 in the greenhouse

Tomatoes I will do 500 plants with the flordia weave support method and all blight resistant varieties. No scotia
sad.png
any more
Tomatoes only 200

They will be mountain merit and mountain magic, damsel and defiant

I also will do 50 feet of carrots 4 rolls, cabbage, 500 heads of salanova lettuce which is so cool , green onions, beets and most herbs
Carrots 60 feet four rolls only 100 lettuce and a bit of the rest

Oh yes also managed to get 65 asparagus crowns ( customer stuck halifax seed with them and I was on a waiting list ) so going to reestablish an old asparagus bed which is now just grass
Ok theses are still in the fridge :( and look fine so I will plant this week

That is pretty much it

Take care and happy gardening. As the stuff grows I will get mama for some pics

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I do so Tony. BLUE RIBBON TOO...lol...I'll dig that out later and post it for !

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #91 · (Edited)
Might as well share it with all y'all 馃槈

BRINE

8 1/2 cups of water
2 1/2 cups of white vinegar
1/2 cup of pickling salt

bring brine to a boil and set aside

INGREDIENTS & SPICES (my own preference)

7-8 lbs of pickling cukes
Dry dill weed
Dill Seed
Mustard seed
Whole all spice
Fresh garlic cloves
Fresh dill ferns
Fresh dill heads (nice and yellow)

Sterilize your bottles prior to doing this recipe.
Whenever I sterilize any bottles that I'm not using for days, weeks, even till next season, I place a new sandwich bag over the top and screw on a ring. I roll it in a pc of news paper before I pack it away...this keeps it good and clean and lessens the risk of chipping, clanging and possibly causing an invisible crack that only shows up AFTER you fill the MUTHA ^%#$%%$%% and put it in your water bath.

This recipe is for approximately 7..1 qt mason jars (wide mouth are easier to pack..but not the end of the world )
I also use the 500 ml jars as well as the 750 ml jars. Classico pasta sauces come in 750 ml bottles and are ATLAS brand pickling bottles. They take a standard snap lid and ring as well. Watch for them on sale and stock up !

* 1 lb of pickling cukes = roughly 1 qt jar or 2 - 500 ml *

I've always scrubbed & cleaned my pickling cukes as soon as I get them...then put them into a cooler full of ice water ..usually let em soak overnight...adding ice if necessary. Colder the better..It makes the pickles firmer / crunchier. When your ready to fill you bottles, just put them into a colander (no ice) and drain for a few minutes.
I was told to always cut 1/2 inch off the blossom end off of my pickling cukes...so I do...99.99 % of the time it's the white end*

Before packing the jars with pickles, in the bottom of each QUART bottle my grand daughter puts...

1 nice big dill head..couple of pcs of dill fern...2 garlic cloves (less if you like)...1 tsp of dry drill weed...1 tsp of mustard seed....1/2 tsp of dill seed.
Once the jar is jammed with the cukes, on the top I put another big dill head, couple sm pcs of dill fern...1 tsp of whole all spice. We do up all the bottles first before pouring the brine in them.

I'll reheat my brine before adding to the jars. Once the bottles have been filled with all your pickles and spices add you hot brine.

Fill to within 1/2 inch of the snap lid. Snap lids should be put in good warm water for 5 minutes before using them. Makes the rubber gasket softer and gives you a better seal (( be sure to wipe all the rims with a damp paper towel before adding the lid and ring)) Rings on fingertip tight !

You'll need a pot big enuff to cover up your bottles right to the base of the neck. Then bring the room temp water almost to the boiling point (13 -15 minutes..varies) soon as it gets there remove the jars and place them on a towel or cardboard / layers of news print. ANYTHING COLD could shock and split the hot bottles....what a fekking mess...don't ask me how I know...lol

Next day, remove the screw bands...wipe the threads of the jars with a good damp / wet hand towel...wipe out or wash the rings too...stops them from rusting out so quickly.

I try to leave mine for at LEAST 1 month before eating them...the longer they set the better the flavour.

ENJOY !!!

**** USE THIS SAME RECIPE FOR DILLED STRING BEANS....& DILLED BABY CARROTS FROM YOUR GARDEN

Registered
Nice Job Kevin
Is there any way you can get a section added for stuff like this to the site it would be great to access quickly when one needs it
Cheers

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
I can start a new pickling / recipes thread ??

Registered
Kevin Thanks very much for putting so much effort into the details on your recipe! I'll definitely give it a try this year.

Registered
I can start a new pickling / recipes thread ??
That would do it. Stuff like yours and David's yummy corn beef etc etc I am thinking, Just copy and paste yours for a start. I can add my peameal bacon and it will grow
We have all posted so many of these over the years but impossible to find when we need them
Thanks

Registered
Got a weeping cherry tree out front,planted it more for ornamental reasons. Sunday I noticed it was totally covered in 鈥 ready to pick鈥 cherries. Wife said get the ladder today but when I looked not a GD cherry left! Birds cleaned them up in short order.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts