Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
121 - 140 of 165 Posts

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
We had BBQ steaks...ceasar salad..fried shrooms n onions and Baked tatoes most was fresh from the garden ! Can't beat the taste of home grown...anything !

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
We had BBQ steaks...ceasar salad..fried shrooms n onions and Baked tatoes most was fresh from the garden ! Can't beat the taste of home grown...anything !
Agree 100%. Actually put the 4th tank of propane on the BBQ last night. Pretty much use it nightly in the summer
Also it is 23 years old. One of the big AL ones which I over haul about every 7/8 years
Love the lava rock difference in the old vs new ones so will keep fixing it
Cheers

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
My SIL bought over 5 lbs of small and really FN small potatoes from her garden the other night. Worst year for potatoes in the past 10 yrs ! What I've dug so far are all small to medium spuds...disappointing to say the least. Apparently were not alone...frien was talking to a few others at the campground, SAME STORY...all small stuff...from Bridgewater to Truro !

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
My SIL bought over 5 lbs of small and really FN small potatoes from her garden the other night. Worst year for potatoes in the past 10 yrs ! What I've dug so far are all small to medium spuds...disappointing to say the least. Apparently were not alone...frien was talking to a few others at the campground, SAME STORY...all small stuff...from Bridgewater to Truro !
Interesting. I won't know until October
Here it is the year of no cucumber. Fields full of flowers but no cucumbers and at every farm
Picklers are no where to be found. My bud normally picks a few 100 pounds a day to sell this year maybe 20 :(

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
We got a little rain over night which is badly needed and a doe and two fawns found my garden :( Scared them out this morning
Did not do a lot of damage ate maybe 15 feet of beans and knocked down 6 potato plants out of 300 :)
My fault for not fixing a section of my fishing line fence and adding new soap which is done now
Just need until saturday and I will be picking beans so hope they give me that
Cheers

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Lotsa rain comin the end of the week...Ida remnants

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Lotsa rain comin the end of the week...Ida remnants
Could use it big time here. I must have over 40 hours of watering the veggie garden both with over head sprinkler and dripper lines now
Last water bill was like 375 but most of that was greenhouse. This one on the same pace :(

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Plant Mushroom Wood Terrestrial plant Twig
Maybe your soil has covid!!!
Pic above = one plant plus I ate two other spuds from that plant.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Everyone has their own gauge for size I find. Yours 3D
They would be small and medium in my garden
I am hoping to see what I normally do. This was the first ones last year here
Cheers
Food Ingredient Natural foods Staple food Tuber

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I had a few planted in the garden as usual, i pulled as the tops started to rot and go slimy. Most were decent sized. Some were scabby, most were ok.
They were planted in rows as normal and the middle plants were scabby. No rhyme or reason. Ill be moving them next year to the new bed. New bed is 12x16 raised , 2cu yards of organic garden soil and added bag of peat moss,Same as the old bed.

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Seems like you'll never stop the scabs from happening. I've been told it's from lack of water...somecof my sisters big potatoes rotted in the ground from too much water...still had scabs on em...so that theory is in the compost..lol every bag you buy has the tell tale spots on em where machinery and water remove them !

Even Joe's prize winners have a few on em.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
I had a few planted in the garden as usual, i pulled as the tops started to rot and go slimy. Most were decent sized. Some were scabby, most were ok.
They were planted in rows as normal and the middle plants were scabby. No rhyme or reason. Ill be moving them next year to the new bed. New bed is 12x16 raised , 2cu yards of organic garden soil and added bag of peat moss,Same as the old bed.
PH is too high
Must to be below 5.2 if in scabby soil ( the soil has a bacteria in it called Streptomyces scabies and can live for years ) and I use lots of sulphur in the fall before spring planting to get it down in mine where they are going to be planted in the spring
Also no fresh manure. My biggest improvement was planting types more scab resistant
I will see if I can find the chart
Cheers

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Seems like you'll never stop the scabs from happening. I've been told it's from lack of water...somecof my sisters big potatoes rotted in the ground from too much water...still had scabs on em...so that theory is in the compost..lol every bag you buy has the tell tale spots on em where machinery and water remove them !

Even Joe's prize winners have a few on em.
Not my prize winners just a pic last year of the first plants pulled and they have a few because they are kennebec
Zero on my chieftains cause they have a good resistance

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Yeah..Joe...I use the resistant types as much as possible. McCain Chieftains are our favorites !
I got the grand daughters to plant some Purple Majesty spuds this spring...the purple string beans amazed them...cant wait to see their faces when we pull some purple tatoes..and we cook em up .lol

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
what sulphur do you use for your garden to lower the ph ?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yeah..Joe...I use the resistant types as much as possible. McCain Chieftains are our favorites !
I got the grand daughters to plant some Purple Majesty spuds this spring...the purple string beans amazed them...cant wait to see their faces when we pull some purple tatoes..and we cook em up .lol
Purple potatoes🥔 the same as blue potatoes ?……. “Give me herring and blue potatoes and a good stout cup of tea”☕ or 🥃

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
YUP !! The very same.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Scabby potatoes are a result of a higher pH of the soil. Lime is your enemy in the potato patch. As Joe said … you need a lower pH and adding sulfur will do that.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
what sulphur do you use for your garden to lower the ph ?
I usually get a 50 pound bag with my yearly order from halifax seed
You have to look for elemental sulphur
Also have seen it the odd time at home depot in small bags but that is not as good since it has gypsum in it

Cheers
Font Grass Groundcover Event Poster
Plant Publication Book Font Grass

121 - 140 of 165 Posts