Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
thanks guys !

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks guys !
Hey Keven I am learning a lot from this thread and wanted to thankyou for starting it also just chopped
up another batch of salsa and put my own spin on it a little more heat. I will bring you a jar on Sunday to
try and see if it is worthy M

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
That's great Mark !! That was my intent when starting it. Free zamples ???...sounds good to me Bud !!! 😁

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Friend just dropped by to see how the hot peppers were coming and he snapped a few pics I thought I would share
I never grew hot peppers before other than a few plants but have had quite a few ask for them so figured this year I would give them a shot
Didnot know they are rated on a hot scale either until this year
Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Botany Greenhouse
Plant Tree Terrestrial plant Flowering plant Twig
Plant Fines herbes Shrub Groundcover Flowering plant

I put in 80 plants 8 different types with the Thai being hottest the on the scale i planted which is way to hot IMO
These hungarian hot wax are almost ready to pick and most are coming fine. Rest other than the cayenne are slow but there
Take care

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Might a well do a closure on the 2021 garlic also
Planted like 1670 two types
800 Purple Russian
870 Creme De la Rasa ( the no.1 grown garlic in bc)

Only 1200 made it to the drying racks :(
740 of the 800 Purple Russian which is great and majority large size or better
460 of the Rasa :( which range from real small to huge but average medium I would say) Theses did not like the winter here and many seed died over it

That being said the nicest tasting garlic I have ever eaten
Also my new mixture of worm castings, oyster shells and crab meal totally eliminated any from being eaten buy grubs, worms etc. Had zero touched vs a few hundred last year

So new plan for next year Oct 2021 planting
will do approx 1670 again in new soil
870 Purple Russian
75 Elephant from new seed
200 Rasa
150 Majestic which is a cross of the old die hard Music brand new seed
Rest Music if I can find the seed ( have about 200 now new seed )

Also change of plan on the garden mat for weed control . Seems with the black mat the garlic in the middle gets too hot. Over 90 degrees F will stunt growth so I found some white mats to try next year to reduce temperatures plus have to leave less straw on it after april to let it cool down quicker

Constant learning experience

The 1200 garlic hanging and coming just fine so far

Branch Wood Twig Woody plant Ceiling

·
Registered
8 Posts
Might a well do a closure on the 2021 garlic also
Planted like 1670 two types
800 Purple Russian
870 Creme De la Rasa ( the no.1 grown garlic in bc)

Only 1200 made it to the drying racks :(
740 of the 800 Purple Russian which is great and majority large size or better
460 of the Rasa :( which range from real small to huge but average medium I would say) Theses did not like the winter here and many seed died over it

That being said the nicest tasting garlic I have ever eaten
Also my new mixture of worm castings, oyster shells and crab meal totally eliminated any from being eaten buy grubs, worms etc. Had zero touched vs a few hundred last year

So new plan for next year Oct 2021 planting
will do approx 1670 again in new soil
870 Purple Russian
75 Elephant from new seed
200 Rasa
150 Majestic which is a cross of the old die hard Music brand new seed
Rest Music if I can find the seed ( have about 200 now new seed )

Also change of plan on the garden mat for weed control . Seems with the black mat the garlic in the middle gets too hot. Over 90 degrees F will stunt growth so I found some white mats to try next year to reduce temperatures plus have to leave less straw on it after april to let it cool down quicker

Constant learning experience

The 1200 garlic hanging and coming just fine so far

View attachment 96603
Hello 3mac1 was wondering if you knew anything about controling cutworms ,they hit my yellow and spanish
onions hard this year and were planted in the middle of a 35ft by 35ft garden but left the white onions alone
Thanks in advance Mark

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Hello 3mac1 was wondering if you knew anything about controling cutworms ,they hit my yellow and spanish
onions hard this year and were planted in the middle of a 35ft by 35ft garden but left the white onions alone
Thanks in advance Mark
I don't have a big problem with them but a little on my cabbage. I use BTK spray but as the label says you must do the bait traps when the plants are small
BTK is also accepted for organic growing

) Bioinsec5cide BTK. BTK (Bacillus thuringiensis, var. kurstaki) is a type of bacteria. When eaten by the cutworm, BTK makes a poison in the caterpillar’s gut. This causes the pest to stop feeding and eventually die. It is somewhat selective, killing many caterpillars but not harmful to other creatures.

Spraying seedlings is not a good way to control cutworms since the cutworms can easily kill your plants before they have a chance to eat enough BTK to kill them. However, you can make a bait with BTK by mixing it with bran or rolled oats and molasses. Sprinkle the bait on the planting area several days before planting. Since the area will have no plants yet, the cutworms will feed on the bait and hopefully die before your plants go in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't have a big problem with them but a little on my cabbage. I use BTK spray but as the label says you must do the bait traps when the plants are small
BTK is also accepted for organic growing

) Bioinsec5cide BTK. BTK (Bacillus thuringiensis, var. kurstaki) is a type of bacteria. When eaten by the cutworm, BTK makes a poison in the caterpillar’s gut. This causes the pest to stop feeding and eventually die. It is somewhat selective, killing many caterpillars but not harmful to other creatures.

Spraying seedlings is not a good way to control cutworms since the cutworms can easily kill your plants before they have a chance to eat enough BTK to kill them. However, you can make a bait with BTK by mixing it with bran or rolled oats and molasses. Sprinkle the bait on the planting area several days before planting. Since the area will have no plants yet, the cutworms will feed on the bait and hopefully die before your plants go in.
Thanks for the info I will do that next spring also would seaweed around the edge of the garden
be of any use in contoling these yellow type wire worms from moving in from the surrounding sod. By the way that garlic looks great .

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Thanks for the info I will do that next spring also would seaweed around the edge of the garden
be of any use in contoling these yellow type wire worms from moving in from the surrounding sod. By the way that garlic looks great .
Seaweed is good . Just be careful on the amount of sea weed. My friend used it a lot in his gardens more for essential elements/minerals etc and during one soil sample one year found out the salt made his ground toxic over the years and he had a hell of a time getting it back. I seem to think it may have added arsenic also but may be wrong
So now he picks it and leaves it for a year before adding what is left to the garden to help get the salt off
I am lazy to gather it so buy it in a big bag kelp meal dried and no worries about salt. One bag a year from halifax seed does what like 6 truck loads does
Thanks on the garlic :)
Packaging and labeling Bag Sleeve Font Box

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
We got a little rain over night which is badly needed and a doe and two fawns found my garden :( Scared them out this morning
Did not do a lot of damage ate maybe 15 feet of beans and knocked down 6 potato plants out of 300 :)
My fault for not fixing a section of my fishing line fence and adding new soap which is done now
Just need until saturday and I will be picking beans so hope they give me that
Cheers
Well it never goes as planned gardening and I think if I had to do it for a living my family would starve to death :(
I didnot think the deer did any damage but they did big time not from what they ate but from what they walked on
Those plants never got a chance to stand back up and bang the rains hit and you guessed it Kevin white mold set in plus the slugs went to town on the beans now laying on the ground and from the deer in it wet rust started :(
Again my fault. I normally stake them with three runs of twine on each side up about 6" 12" and 2 feet
But this year the plants were growing perfect and not high so I didnot do it

So even though they were small and not ready yet I had to pick and pull theses two rolls or lose it all
Normally I would get as high as 70 pounds out of a 100 foot roll with three pickings but this time only got 32 and 37 pounds but better than nothing and from what they say what I should have been getting any way
Expected Crop Yields per 100 feet of row
Lima Bean – Bush: 1 bushel shelled (32 lbs.)

Lima Bean – Pole: 2 bushel (32 lbs.)

Snap Bush Bean – Bush: 1.5 bushel (30lbs.)

This is the last 15 pounds I just finished picking and don't care if fat or skinny 70 plus pounds of beans picked in two days is hard work IMO and I hate picking beans
Cheers
Plant Ingredient Basket Cuisine Staple food

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Picking enuff to send to my kids or for supper is now a back breaker :cry:

Pulled some new carrots yesterday (second bunch) to go with our Turkey supper...never seen carrots with such big cores !! Some of them were like almost as wide as the carrot itself !! Some had the bottom of them look like a parsnip...white...gnarly...and hard as maple when chopping them up..even after cooking some of the centers were like tooth picks !. They were delicious as always !! These were the Scarlett Nantes variety...which always grows good for me. The other one I use is the Deep Emperator (?)
I planted carrots 3 times...in 2 locations...had only 1 good batch come up..second one was sparse (( course the fekkin neighborhood cats constantly chittin and rippin up seeds didn't help either. They won't be doin it next year ! if I'm alive , good chance they won't be !
Weird year for some stuff...my cukes had 3 plantings and were almost non existant...think we got like 6 off of one plant.
Woody carrots...moldy string beans...my red onions are almost non existant..might have a dozen off of 100 sets...white onions are good...probably 75% / 100 sets. My Mammoth Dill, is as always, awesome...albeit quite a bit slower this year. I have 20-30 plants now going to seed so I can pick em and use the seed in my dill pickles next season !
..potatoes seem smaller and more scabby in spots...my garlic was amazing ! Did all my dill pickles with it...gave some away to friends or family, used some up and I got 20 large bulbs dried / saved to plant. Most are as big as a 500 ml mason jar top ! Few are a bit bigger ! Should have some monster cloves !

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Hey Keven I am learning a lot from this thread and wanted to thankyou for starting it also just chopped
up another batch of salsa and put my own spin on it a little more heat. I will bring you a jar on Sunday to
try and see if it is worthy M
Mark...thanks for the salsa ! gettin some doritos this week :love: You never got your bottle of mustard pickles out of the Rav ..No worries..I'll see you in Kentville at the next shoot.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Picking enuff to send to my kids or for supper is now a back breaker :cry:

Pulled some new carrots yesterday (second bunch) to go with our Turkey supper...never seen carrots with such big cores !! Some of them were like almost as wide as the carrot itself !! Some had the bottom of them look like a parsnip...white...gnarly...and hard as maple when chopping them up..even after cooking some of the centers were like tooth picks !. They were delicious as always !! These were the Scarlett Nantes variety...which always grows good for me. The other one I use is the Deep Emperator (?)
I planted carrots 3 times...in 2 locations...had only 1 good batch come up..second one was sparse (( course the fekkin neighborhood cats constantly chittin and rippin up seeds didn't help either. They won't be doin it next year ! if I'm alive , good chance they won't be !
Weird year for some stuff...my cukes had 3 plantings and were almost non existant...think we got like 6 off of one plant.
Woody carrots...moldy string beans...my red onions are almost non existant..might have a dozen off of 100 sets...white onions are good...probably 75% / 100 sets. My Mammoth Dill, is as always, awesome...albeit quite a bit slower this year. I have 20-30 plants now going to seed so I can pick em and use the seed in my dill pickles next season !
..potatoes seem smaller and more scabby in spots...my garlic was amazing ! Did all my dill pickles with it...gave some away to friends or family, used some up and I got 20 large bulbs dried / saved to plant. Most are as big as a 500 ml mason jar top ! Few are a bit bigger ! Should have some monster cloves !
I hear you Kevin:(
My back is fine but too much bending over with my high blood pressure and I get dizzy and pass out and the damage I did to my hernia blow out patch is killing me doing this stuff
Right now I have no idea what my garden will turn out like. I checked some potatoes and they are small but still have 30 days to grow
Regular cukes for everyone this year maybe 20% of normal but my english are doing great
Picked 12 yesterday and the transplants have only been outside since july 7th
Seems like 1000's of green tomatoes and a few getting red :) all 200 plants still alive and green
Have to love those huge heirlooms first one. Today below
Food Plant Ingredient Plum tomato Fruit

take care

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mark...thanks for the salsa ! gettin some doritos this week :love: You never got your bottle of mustard pickles out of the Rav ..No worries..I'll see you in Kentville at the next shoot.
Kevin I will see you Saturday at the hunter classic I be the fella standing with the new event gun HaHa and its good to
hear that chezzetcook garlic is doing good there in the fog and that zuccini salsa so good you want to eat the whole
bottle somewhere private.

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
You don't have any more room for a new gun...lol
We shoot the first flight at 9..likely see ya afterwards..

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Well if things keep going as they are NO small potatoes for me this year :)
Mama says no potatoes for supper can you check the garden
God they are only in the ground 67 days and need 90 to mature might be some golf balls there. They are still all green and 3 1/2 feet tall and growing
Oh well she says better than nothing and not like you cannot pull a few to check with 300 in
So I pulled three and was honestly shocked, Cannot wait to bake these babies :)
First year planting them under the black mats and so far so good
Food Plant Ingredient Staple food Cuisine

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
I haven't dug any more spuds for a week or so....soon be time to have a peek

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
half way through shutting things down, for the season, at our little patch.

We're heavy on chard this year - put a bunch away in freezer. Blanch/steam for a few minutes then press into different size containers, squeeze out water, dump on cookie sheet and freeze. Once frozen, put them in ziploks.

Grew a few Yukon Gold potatoes - 1st time planting potatoes in a long time. Just like 3Macs1 - only got very few small ones and harvested a few times through the season.

Wish I knew how to keep that fresh tomatoe taste through the Winter, lol.

Food Plant Ingredient Recipe Leaf vegetable

Plant Terrestrial plant Wood Adaptation Grass

Plant Natural landscape Grass Groundcover Terrestrial plant

141 - 160 of 165 Posts