Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
161 - 180 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
never knew you could buy seaweed like that, 3macs1 - thanks for the info.
NP. This year it was 62 bucks a bag and it goes a long way. Like one bag I will get two years on a 50 x 100 plot
Not sure if halifax seed has it in stock normally or they order it in but they can get it. I order everything a year in advance so don't know other than it is on the pallet when the rest arrives
Other thing I find about it is not to store it in the paper bag but empty the bag and place in sealed 5 gallon pails. It stores way better
Real nice harvest you got there and I didnot know one could freeze chard have some in the garden and love it so going to give it a shot
take care

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
great lookin squash there Gary !! Hope mine turn out that nice . Butternut and spaghetti are my two favs !!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
great lookin squash there Gary !! Hope mine turn out that nice . Butternut and spaghetti are my two favs !!
LOL - didnt even plant the acorn or spaghetti squash - started getting squash plants coming up in one bed where the compost wasnt completely broken down. Saved a cpl plants and they produced - not the biggest squash but not too bad.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
NP. This year it was 62 bucks a bag and it goes a long way. Like one bag I will get two years on a 50 x 100 plot
Not sure if halifax seed has it in stock normally or they order it in but they can get it. I order everything a year in advance so don't know other than it is on the pallet when the rest arrives
Other thing I find about it is not to store it in the paper bag but empty the bag and place in sealed 5 gallon pails. It stores way better
Real nice harvest you got there and I didnot know one could freeze chard have some in the garden and love it so going to give it a shot
take care
I'll pay the money as it'll save from hauling it - I live a bit inland and dont have it washing up on my lawn during a storm, like some do.

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
I'll pay the money as it'll save from hauling it - I live a bit inland and dont have it washing up on my lawn during a storm, like some do.
I hear you. No more hauling for me not to mention I spent more on gas to get the same into the garden after the fresh stuff breaks down plus I have no worries of salt
take care

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
Interesting times we live in
Mama says this morning go pick some peaches time to make jam. Thinking way ahead of you picked for two days sold them at the tomato table all but about 15 pounds I stashed for this moment. Two minutes to the garage and done :)
I said hey this is the first year in 21 since I planted the three pear trees they all are not peewee, split and black . Can we try some jam with them no but I will make jelly
No problem there is 12 nice ones there I will go get them. Well was 12 yesterday. They are gone now and one miserable looking one left
Looks like one of the walkers that visit the 1/2 mile old horse track that is like 12 feet away from my property and this pear tree helped them selves to them :(
Not deer etc since no tracks and there was a cortland apple tree two feet away full of nice apples they would have ate also
What is wrong with people. There is no respect today for others and their belongings
Cheers

Liquid Bottle Drinkware Glass bottle Fluid

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Joe
We do a spiced pear jam that goes with pork. I made 3 batches last year and ran out. My friend has a few pear trees ill grab a bunch from and make more once the wife finishes the mustard pickles(75+bottles already)
Ill see if i can find the recipe

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
Joe
We do a spiced pear jam that goes with pork. I made 3 batches last year and ran out. My friend has a few pear trees ill grab a bunch from and make more once the wife finishes the mustard pickles(75+bottles already)
Ill see if i can find the recipe
Hi Tim
You are the reason I was going to try a pear jam. You gave me a bottle last year I think or the year before and it was real nice
take care

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another rainy day job harvested all my beets one batch of pickled beets today another tomorrow,and yesterday
planted 4 rows of roughly 70 garlic for next year after all the full moon of September has passed

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Garlic in already ? I thought it was supposed to be after the full moon and first frost in Octember ??

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
We did 20 lbs of beets last month...2 cases of 500 mls...the wife picked up 30 more lbs yesterday..so I have another 3 cases to do..2 for our best friends, and a spare for me...LOL

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
Garlic in already ? I thought it was supposed to be after the full moon and first frost in Octember ??
It is real early for sure.. Worst case they will be up before the winter comes and will have to be covered real good with straw to make it through
Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not to early for the foggy eastern shore the garlic can establish a root base and if the shoots pop up no
harm they get covered by straw and branches to hold the straw in place because of the wind. worked great this year and
also you need to till the soil before the rainy season starts because of the clay type soil. Kevin we have shot the same
score in the first 3 shoots of the Nova Series so just to let you no that Waymouth has always been my highest score shoot so good luck to you

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
Not to early for the foggy eastern shore the garlic can establish a root base and if the shoots pop up no
harm they get covered by straw and branches to hold the straw in place because of the wind. worked great this year and
also you need to till the soil before the rainy season starts because of the clay type soil. Kevin we have shot the same
score in the first 3 shoots of the Nova Series so just to let you no that Waymouth has always been my highest score shoot so good luck to you
Yes every area is different and one has to figure out what works for them. Ideally you want them to root and not come up at all but hard to figure that out many times
If they do poke out it is not a big deal unless it is too much like my buds 4-6" every spring they are yellow and take an extra month to recover and his garlic is always small as a result
Covering is required 100% regardless where one lives in this province
Cheers

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
I waited till October the past couple of years to plant my cloves I got from you Mark. They keep getting better each year ! Think I'll follow suit this year again. I know that the ones I tried in fish boxes this year were a lot smaller than the ones in my raised garden bed. No more experimenting..lol.

I saw that you and I both shot an 83 in Yarmouth last weekend...I thought...dammmm he's as bad as I am...lnao

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
I waited till October the past couple of years to plant my cloves I got from you Mark. They keep getting better each year ! Think I'll follow suit this year again. I know that the ones I tried in fish boxes this year were a lot smaller than the ones in my raised garden bed. No more experimenting..lol.

I saw that you and I both shot an 83 in Yarmouth last weekend...I thought...dammmm he's as bad as I am...lnao
They say for many types of garlic it takes 5 years to reach their full potential. I seen that with the music brand I grew which is why I switched but the trade off is yes it gets bigger quicker but also more dies over the winter :( a lot more
Cheers

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
Well today I am thinking no wonder Magoo thinks I have lost it I have. May have something to do with who I have been dealing with the past few weeks :(
Figured I seen and heard it all from customers but man was I wrong
Starting to think Thunderstick may be on to something and the vaccine has killed a lot of brain cells in people
Lets see

Had a guy today wanted to buy just two cloves of garlic not two pounds or two bulbs like I sell it no two cloves and rather than give me 3 bucks for a bulb left mad

Then the green tomato guy. WOW came to pick up his 10 pounds of green tomatoes and proceeded to tell me he hopes these are good SEED tomatoes since he will plant them this week whole and should have wonderful plants come up in the spring. Could not convince him other wise it was wrong .

Oh and the lady once again a 10 pound order grabs the tomatoes and starts to leave hello you have to pay. Not until I make the chow to see how they taste then I will pay if they are good. Lets just say she left pissed empty handed.

And just one hour ago the icing on the cake. Guy comes in for his 5 pounds of green tomatoes. I hand them to him and he says these are not WEED tomatoes no wonder they were so cheap
What I said. I never knew such a thing existed but my old friend google says it does :( Weed tomatoes below
People are crazy IMHO
Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Vegetation Arecales

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
That’s what you should be growing Joe … you have the spot for it. Get a permit and You will make a whole lot more than you will raising beans and potatoes.

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
That’s what you should be growing Joe … you have the spot for it. Get a permit and You will make a whole lot more than you will raising beans and potatoes.
You are 100% right and have been offered to grow it for quite a few some they say have valid papers that I could even grow legally for them but no way
Based on what they told me three good plants would make more than my entire garden in a year by a long stretch
The big demand is small transplants I have been told like 25 times what a tomato plant gets me :( for one
Take care

161 - 180 of 189 Posts