Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a few questions about coyote hunting in NS. Forgive me if some of these questions seem really silly, as I am completely new to hunting in general.

1) The Hunting Regulations book is a little hazy trying to nail down what calibers and what times of year you are allowed rifle or shotgun. Is it rifles and shotguns are allowed from October 15 - March 31 and only shotguns from March 31 - October 15?

2) If you are not a licensed fur harvester can you still receive the $20 bounty for coyotes?

2B) Do you need to bring the whole coyote in or just the pelt?

2C) Where do you bring it?

3) If you cannot claim bounty if you are not a fur harvester, are there any taxidermists around that will take the whole coyote and give you $10-$20 for it?

4) Is it ok to kill a coyote and leave the whole thing in the field? Or should you always take at least the pelt? (maybe this is a matter of opinion?)

5) Lastly, the only two firearms I have are a 10/22 and a 12ga. pump. Which would you suggest? Or both? Should I start with the rifle and keep shotgun on hand just for close range? The 22 wouldn't have much more effective range than a shotgun would anyway would it? If I had to go with one or the other which one do you think I should take?

Thanks, sorry if this is too many questions at once! :)

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
2a yes anyone with a habitat stamp can harvest a yote

2B Just the dried scrapped stretched hide is turned in. Its alot of work to do for min $20. Some people just drop them off a local trappers place.

2c Furafee in Truro is a spot to drop it off.

Where are you located at?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
All he can do also is do a search on this site ,as its been covered about 3-4 X per season.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
There is no coyote bounty in NS.

There is a coyote pelt incentive....and it's about to expire after this year. Hopefully it gets approved for future consideration.

To collect the $20 pelt incentive, you need to ship the fur to market and it needs to be handled like any other fur you'd ship to auction...skinned, fleshed, stretched, dried.

You could also locate a fur buyer and offer the coyote to them in the round, but I doubt many will be paying much for critters with the state of the fur market.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
First round of cheques are being processed.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
My first recomendation would be to find someone who hunts coyotes and go with them a few times to see what it is all about. Remember you can only have one firearm loaded at a time.

Killing any animal and leaving it in the field is always a personal choice and is something you have to be able to justify to yourself. No one can tell you what is right or wrong on that one.

I got my first check of the year a week or so ago for 2 coyotes sold at the NAFA sale.

From my understanding the Pelt Incentive is paid out based on the export permits, so selling to a local fur buyer in the round would not automatically give you the incentive. The fur buyer may give it to you though lol. One of mine left over from last year sold for .99 at the last auction so I wouldn't expect much from the fur buyer.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I thought I did bad with a cheque for $7.17 for 2 yote. . But your 99 cents is really bad. But without saying I always knew I was a better trapper and fur producer then you WOT . :unsure: :unsure: :blink:

·
Registered
216 Posts
You would have to pay me to take your coyote... The incentive can only be collected by licensed fur harvesters who ship the pelts to auction. There is no one I am aware of who would pay you for a pelt and definitely not a whole animal. You can ship coyote pelts harvested under your hunting license. Coyotes harvested outside of the nov to march season are probably not marketable. You can leave a coyote in the woods if you want, they are considered other harvestable wildlife and I don't think the wasting law applies to them. If I only had a 22 or 12 ga, I would go with the 12 ga and a load of 2's or 4's. You are right, shotgun only from April 1 to Oct 15. CD

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Sorry to have to burst your bubble RB but my cheque from NAFA for 2 coyotes was over 100.00 lol. That puts my average over 50.00 each while yours is just under 3.60 each. I think mine must havelitterally been both ends of the spectrum. lol

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Sorry to have to burst your bubble RB but my cheque from NAFA for 2 coyotes was over 100.00 lol. That puts my average over 50.00 each while yours is just under 3.60 each. I think mine must havelitterally been both ends of the spectrum. lol
Oh cranky!!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I had one sell for 112.00 the other for 10.00. Two others not offered will be on this sale.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I thought the $ 20 each was okay my self. I usually hot skin them in the field which makes removing the hide quite easy.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
We have a few trappers 65 plus in years doing up to 75 a year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. Like I said, you'll have to excuse me if some of the questions seemed silly. Newbie here.

So basically, I'm getting that it's not really worth my time to prepare the pelt to get the incentive money. If I'm just wanting to get some hunting experience and lower the predator population, I may as well just give the coyote to a local trapper whether he gives me anything for it or not. This way it's not wasted and there's one less predator out there killing off the deer and such. That the general consensus?

I'm looking into getting a 22-250 or 223 on the cheap for this purpose. Any suggestions?

R

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.