Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any body ever had problems with the consistency of there crossbows? A buddy of mine can sight his in dead accurate and then the next shot might be 12" off in all 4 directions!! What if when you pull back the string it doesn't pull back 100% perfect, maybe the right side gets pulled back a bit more then the left. Will this cause a bad shot?

Jasp

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Yes!

You need the string to come back straight. If you do not have a string cocker use a marker to make a mark on the string when uncocked and make sure when cocked it is centered.

Hopefully this is all it is and a simple fix.

·
Super Moderator
9,769 Posts
A scope with "holding zero" issues could also do this.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Agree with the comments above...

- inconsistant anchor point.
- bad scope or loose scope.

- have you tried shooting to see if its the same for you?

·
Registered
68 Posts
The other suggestions are likely good but for what its worth, we found 2 bolts that seemed pretty random and upon closer inspection both had cracks in the shaft a few inches from where it makes contact with the string. Theory was that they we flexing or something under pressure. Probably dangerous too. Dropped them out of the rotation and things seem fine.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The other suggestions are likely good but for what its worth, we found 2 bolts that seemed pretty random and upon closer inspection both had cracks in the shaft a few inches from where it makes contact with the string. Theory was that they we flexing or something under pressure. Probably dangerous too. Dropped them out of the rotation and things seem fine.
I've also noticed that each bolt shoots a little differently, when you get a bolt that shoots good or the one you site-in with use that bolt exclusively and the others for back-up. You will find consistency then, I did anyway.....hope it works. and consistently drawing the string will effect it also as someone mentioned.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If it's a compound you may want to check the cam bolts ... Buddy of mine just went thru the same thing ... cost him a deer. He thought it was the scope , but after buying a new scope the problem persisted. One cam bolt had loosened off after being checked over before the season started. Bolts had beed threadlocked.

Broken strands under the serving on the string will also effect arrow flight.

tuk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts