Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I read that you must be 182 meters away from a dwelling to hunt with a crossbow. Are you allowed to hunt within city limits if you adhere to the 182 meters?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
Have no idea where you live and hopefully someone will chime in to help
Here where I am in NS is it NO 100% since there is a bylaw in place that prevents the discharge of any weapon regardless how far away from a dwelling and yes they class a crossbow as a weapon here
Cheers

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
I remember here I made a nice folding target out of ceiling tiles and placed it on the side of the garage and yes with a huge plywood back stop :p so I didnot kill the barn when I missed the 4x4 target and was out shooting my old oneida bow and someone called the cops and I had to put it away :)
Cheers

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's got it. Provincial laws only care about the distance from a house/school. But many cities/towns have banned it within city limits so it depends on where you live.
Isn't there crown land within HRM that you can hunt with a crossbow? Airport way, or out by the 118? For some reason perhaps it's restricted only within some parts of HRM? Not disputing what you are saying, just odd to me as someone who is not in the know of such things which is why I rely on those in the know here. I am in Bedford, and know there is crown land, and some private within city limits but are 182meters from a dwelling.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You would be best advised to contact your City or Municipality. Ask the question..I do not know of any City or Town Proper that allows Hunting of any sort.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Isn't there crown land within HRM that you can hunt with a crossbow? Airport way, or out by the 118? For some reason perhaps it's restricted only within some parts of HRM? Not disputing what you are saying, just odd to me as someone who is not in the know of such things which is why I rely on those in the know here. I am in Bedford, and know there is crown land, and some private within city limits but are 182meters from a dwelling.

Thanks,
Yes but that is the Municipality (Airport) and not the city. Two different Beasts..

Reactions: ScottU

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yeah, it depends on where the city defines the city boundaries. Each is different. Lots of people hunt very close to Halifax - in Timberlea, Sackville, Highway 107, etc. I don't actually know where the boundaries are to be honest.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
HRM is big and a lot of areas of it are rural and people hunt there. I would say city proper you are screwed but if you are hunting the original counties that got swallowed up by HRM you are probably ok.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Its called a jurisdictional quagmire
Theres a fantastic duck spot across the lake from Waverly dnr. I asked there and they told me id be legal for their end but maybe not from HPD. Suggested i find another spot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts