Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a bit of time off this winter. And trying to do a few projects around the camp. Last year we had some good fortune when it comes to deer success. I shot 2 bucks, and my best friend and cousin all got bucks that week. My set up, currently is a 1/2 ton chainfall attached the bottom of the ceiling joist by a lifting eye in my 12x14 shed. The chainfall, plus the gambrel and scale made it difficult to get the larger 200+ lb deer off the concrete floor. It’s fine for 1-2 year old deer, but not larger ones or hanging more than two deer in there.

I’m planning on attaching a piece of metal channel to the ridge beam and wiring up a crane hoist. Wondering if other people had better suggestions or pictures of their set ups

· Registered
2,973 Posts
My block and tackle hangs from my centre beam of one shed. I was able to hang a 10pt without touching. One day il splurge and get a chain fall so im not lifting the deer with each pull

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Buddy of mine has an old 12 V winch fastened up near the ridge board. Double pulley/ snatch block ..slicker than snot on a roosters lip !!
same here the guy I know his is great my other bub just uses those cheap rope snatch block sets and also works great
His came from amazon and this one

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Can also hang them on the clothes line like I did when I was a kid. Not sure exactly the year but looking my old gmc truck was not done in the background which I finished and put on the road at age 17 /18 .Do know that was my very first buck a six pointer shot with a 16ga slug at 10 feet :) taken on the morley road

· Registered
3,789 Posts
I consider myself lucky, when it comes to deer processing. It gets hung and skun and gutted on the “killing floor” at my sons farm, and immediately gets transferred to the walk in cooler. I have seen people use a tripod with a block and tackle. Very simple set up and it works very well.

· Registered
4,095 Posts
I've got a boat crank winch with a gamblel set up , heavy chain to help secure the hoist system as well as bolted to 2 pieces of rough lumber going from truss to truss then 2 piece of rough lumber coming down from ridge line to bottom of the truss to prevent sagging or pulling on trusses , just back right in , hook em up crank and drive out , deer is already couple feet off the floor so not much cranking to get em in the air.

· Registered
240 Posts
So i just use the winch on my atv.I have a snatch block and gambrel in the barn i hoist the animal up to comfortable working heights as i skin.Last couple i have tried the gutless method.But i prefer removing the guts i find it allows me to get more meat.Plus im a fan of the organs.

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Something just seems wrong about this picture🤣
Ya…..my garage got crushed. Haha.

Can take the boy out of the country but you can’t the country out of the boy as they say. I had intended all season to hang my deer at my fathers place but I shot this one last day of my season and had zero time for the next few days and warm weather approaching. So I decided I will just butcher it that very morning and made a setup to get er done.

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Can’t say I have ever heard of this. Interesting.
I usually butcher my rabbits this way out in the woods. Skin them and cut the legs and back straps off leaving the whole gut and chest intact. I wouldn’t do it on a deerpersonally, unless I was backcountry pack hunting or something. Too much good meat everywhere in there.

· Registered
18,887 Posts
3 macs that has got to be the most overbuilt clothesline I have ever seen if you could hang a buck off it! Haha
See the clothes prop behind it :) cannot even buy them today. My old buds wife was looking for one last year and we had to go to the woods and make her two
My how times have changed at one time they were everywhere for sale for 2.00 each

· Registered
3,043 Posts
I've got a boat crank winch with a gamblel set up , heavy chain to help secure the hoist system as well as bolted to 2 pieces of rough lumber going from truss to truss then 2 piece of rough lumber coming down from ridge line to bottom of the truss to prevent sagging or pulling on trusses , just back right in , hook em up crank and drive out , deer is already couple feet off the floor so not much cranking to get em in the air.
this is what I had in mind for gearing up for next season. Currently use the cheapie rope pully system.

· Registered
630 Posts
I have a 12x12 concrete slab with post and beam and a tin roof on it. A 1ton Princess Auto chain fall hanging from the ridge 12' up with a gambrel. Back the truck up and lift it off. Works slick as can be!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts