Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have a 12x12 concrete slab with post and beam and a tin roof on it. A 1ton Princess Auto chain fall hanging from the ridge 12' up with a gambrel. Back the truck up and lift it off. Works slick as can be!
Yeah that’s sort of my setup now, but on the ceiling joist not the ridge beam. And I got two lifting points, not too bad if it was only me that hunted. But there’s 5-6 of us that hunt out of the camp full time, so it can get crowded

· Registered
18,889 Posts
Nothing a piece of u channel and sliders won;t fix regardless of what you use to lift the deer with from the cool winch to simple rope pullies sometimes called a meat rail Most I have seen are just the u channel with home made flat plates and eye bolts fitted yes not as smooth as what is shown with the formed sliders but not like one is moving them a lot either
I picked up quite a few lengths of the u channel cheap here at the scrap yard like 20 bucks a 12 foot length and one greenhouse is fitted with them for hanging flower baskets. If you make the plates out of a piece of 1/2 teflon they are smooth and don't stick We did one for a friends coolbot also used the chain connectors vs that IMO light clip they show
Wood Gas Engineering Electrical wiring Machine

Handle Household hardware Door handle Rectangle Plumbing fixture

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Over the last few years I've heard/read of people using the "gutless" method on moose way out in the boonies. Had never heard if it until very recently but I imagine its been used for a while. Especially when you have to pack everything out on your back.
I think the first time I had seen it was likely hunting videos of elk way up in the hills hiking in. Easier to get back. Be same as moose like you said.

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Lots of good advice here. I just use a chainfall. Once it’s cleaned and skinned I move it into my cooler. If it’s too big to handle cut it in half along the back bone and half each half separately. Maybe you need a bigger chainfall or maybe eat some spinach.
If you need to hang multiple just put some eyes in the beams. I use two eyes with a piece of rebar through the eyes and have room for four deer in my cooler.

· Registered
3,045 Posts
used the gutless method a few times on moose and one elk.
its a quick way to break down the animal for packing out especially if theres a bunch of flies around.
on the 2021 moose we did gutless for neck, brisket, quarters, backstraps.
then gutted it to get the ribs, front & rear tenderloins, organs, etc.

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks 3macs, that’s more the style I had envisioned in my head just didn’t know didn’t know if anybody had a similar setup. At the old camp, dad had a setup where we secured the crane hoist to a piece of channel with multiple holes in along a 14 foot span. I remember on remembrance Day in 2011, we had 9 deer hanging from it. It poured like crazy the whole week leading to remembrance day, then it turned cold and bucks came out of the wood work. Everyone in the camp shot a decent buck that day
Nothing a piece of u channel and sliders won;t fix regardless of what you use to lift the deer with from the cool winch to simple rope pullies sometimes called a meat rail Most I have seen are just the u channel with home made flat plates and eye bolts fitted yes not as smooth as what is shown with the formed sliders but not like one is moving them a lot either
I picked up quite a few lengths of the u channel cheap here at the scrap yard like 20 bucks a 12 foot length and one greenhouse is fitted with them for hanging flower baskets. If you make the plates out of a piece of 1/2 teflon they are smooth and don't stick We did one for a friends coolbot also used the chain connectors vs that IMO light clip they show
View attachment 99342
View attachment 99343

21 - 28 of 28 Posts