Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried this recipe today, and definitely hit the spot:

Deer Liver sliced into strips sprinkled with generous amounts of salt and pepper, several cloves of garlic crushed and minced, everything sauteed and mixed in butter over medium heat. Then squeezed a little bit of lemon on it after it's done cooking.

Then ate it with a side of rice :)

I'm interested to hear your deer liver recipes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Did you ever try it freshly killed, still warm and raw? You were/will be pleasantly surprised! A thin slice is 'crunchy' and salty sweet.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I agree, probably not very sanitary :) Although I've tried liver(pork) grilled to Medium, red steamy liquids still oozing out. Then dipped in vinegar and a sprinkle of salt with each bite, I find fresh liver has some SWEETNESS to it.

Haven't tried raw deer liver though. Is this common practice?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Heart, liver and onions. Maybe my favorite meal. But I do cook it and maybe sometimes to much but I love it. I usually soak the heart and liver in salt and water, change the water a few times. If I'm home I ll soak the liver in milk. If not slice it all thin and fry it up, add bacon sometimes too !

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heart, liver and onions. Maybe my favorite meal. But I do cook it and maybe sometimes to much but I love it. I usually soak the heart and liver in salt and water, change the water a few times. If I'm home I ll soak the liver in milk. If not slice it all thin and fry it up, add bacon sometimes too !
Liver and bacon sounds like a great combination! And liver soaked in milk, I've never heard of that before..do you just fry it afterwards?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not sure why milk, it's what some of the old people did. Helps get the blood and stuff out maybe. We just soak it out till the milk turns a funny color. Then slice it up like normal and fry up with a little salt pepper bacon and onion. If you don't like soggy bacon fry that first then do the rest in the fat then throw the bacon on top ... Mmm good

·
Registered
184 Posts
In a cast iron fry pan,cock at leased 4 strips of bacon very crispy.Remove the bacon and set aside. Cut up deer liver into 1/2" slices.a Half cup of flour in a soup dish and add a good dash of salt and pepper to the flour.Stir the flour.Drege the liver though the four bothe sides.Add 1/4 cup of butter to the bacon grease in the cast iron frying pan and heat it all up till everything is popping and sizzling.Add the liver and cock till done.Flip the liver when the blood stops bubling out the top.Coocking takes about 2-3 min.Liver should be lightly browned on bothe sides. Now fry your onions in the bacon grease.Fry onions and liver together liver takes on a bitter taste.

All the Best

·
Registered
575 Posts
Did you ever try it freshly killed, still warm and raw? You were/will be pleasantly surprised! A thin slice is 'crunchy' and salty sweet.
And full of potential parasites. That is about the worst thing you could ever consider eating raw......
454993.gif....maybe I have had too much rum to drink but that struck me very funny.... :lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
The liver is usually involved in my first meal from the beast. If I can I will make up a meal while still in the woods, maybe with some wild mushrooms and greens throw in too..but I usually try to remember to take along some garlic etc aswell... all just fried up over the fire.

Eating the raw liver is not too bad. As a young lad, we had to eat a bit from our first kills lol or maybe our dad was having a private laugh at us boys.

Good hunting

HH

1 - 12 of 12 Posts