Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im starting to pay more attention to these old rubs - some call them signposts. They're rubs that are used multiple years, by bucks. Didnt have a cam with me when I found this one the other day but I do have cams on 3 other "signposts". Hopefully, will get some footage.

Plant Natural landscape Wood Trunk Terrestrial plant
Plant Natural landscape Wood Trunk Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that a nice old model 84?
good eye - yes it is, louisbear - she's been a workhorse over the decades (with the wearmarks to prove it, lol). There's been at least 5 youngsters that used that old 20 ga as their 1st hunting gun. I cut 3 sections out of the stock so could adjust for different LOP's for the youth (add or subtract as needed).
I use it, once in a while, when scouting deer, in case I see a partridge or two.

·
Registered
884 Posts
That old shotgun is part of the family. My brothers and sisters all used a model 84 .410 for our first bird gun. A few years back I sold it to my first hunting partner who also learned to shoot birds and bunnies with the gun. The gun fits him better than myself or my brother. I acquired an 84 in12 gauge just because it is a piece of Canadiana. I am now a 20 gauge fan so I continue to search for a deal on an 84 but I fear those days are over.😟

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
Im starting to pay more attention to these old rubs - some call them signposts. They're rubs that are used multiple years, by bucks. Didnt have a cam with me when I found this one the other day but I do have cams on 3 other "signposts". Hopefully, will get some footage.

I know very little about these other than what I remember from a friend that would come to camp from the US to hunt many years ago. He identified a couple on our property and would set up his blind by them and always managed to get a big buck
It was before trail cams so we had not idea what was going on other than they produced a big buck for him most years
He would say signposts are not to be confused with community rubs and that signposts are made by the dominant buck in the area stating his claim to a particular area. Unlike community posts where all bucks would rub them only challenges to him would dare rub his marking
Could be all BS I have no idea but know he always got a big buck when set up on them
Be real interesting to see your pics to see if other bucks check it or check and rub
Cheers

·
GREYBEARD
2,966 Posts
I like the single shot shotguns and rifles, one shot that can get it done, I am always looking for signposts like that, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I “scout” every time I set foot in the woods. I came across a big scrape last fall and put up a cam. Many pics last year and he came by already this year. If you can find a scrape line ….. you best be hunting in that area. I came across a big scrape line on my one woodlot. Eight big scrapes within a short distance along an old hauling road. I set up a cam a week ago … but nothing so far. I am still hopeful. Pay attention to these “signposts”, whether it be rubs or scrapes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts