Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
241 - 248 of 248 Posts

· Registered
7,795 Posts
When it comes to 1/4 ton 4wd trucks they are pretty hard to beat for woods travel.But thats where it ends for me.The tacoma i had also rusted awfully despite crown proofing was shat on gas and rough on parts.And the price is crazy you can buy full size gm ford dodge have twice the power and capacity and better ride for less $
Tacoma is best in class no doubt but are a thirsty vechile.
Camry and Corolla are very realizable and trouble free compared to most vechiles and way better more comfortable ride then their competition including Honda.
Tundra has been a different critter for Toyota with tons of issues. Tundra seems to be like a Jeep you either get a good one or a real lemon.

· Registered
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
My first new vehicle was a 1987 Toyota 4-Runner. I was 21 years old, and wanted this from the moment I saw it on the showroom floor. $24,495 + tax @ 12.5% interest. I must say ... I never owned another Toyota after that one. The tin worms feasted on it big time, and it was undercoated yearly. They replaced the two front fenders under warranty, and just rust everywhere. The final straw ... I had a flat tire at work one day, and the aluminum wheel was stuck to the hub. I had to call the garage and they sent someone over with a sledge hammer to beat it off. My first and last Toyota.
They have to have the worst metal. They even replaced frames in many and said that problem had been fixed yet I am seeing newer vehicles listed with the frames gone. My son wanted one bad so I was looking. In Kentville they had a 2019. From the rear wheels to the bumper the metal had stared to rust into crusted layers.

· Registered
2,933 Posts
I got a toro and need an electric starter. The plug broke off and you can’t buy parts. A new starter is like $300. Did get an old one but it only worked 4-5 times before it quit and won’t engage. Just have to use the pull cord I guess, may not need it this year.
Ive got one here you can have if itll fit
Ill bring it to town tomorrow afternoon and maybe get to see your ugly mug lol

· Registered
18,486 Posts
They have to have the worst metal. They even replaced frames in many and said that problem had been fixed yet I am seeing newer vehicles listed with the frames gone. My son wanted one bad so I was looking. In Kentville they had a 2019. From the rear wheels to the bumper the metal had stared to rust into crusted layers.
Funny you mention frames wife's brother has one sitting in his yard in sackville as we speak ( he went and bought a new jeep ) nice looking truck but when he went to get the brakes done they would not inspect it since the frame is rusted out and need to be replaced. 2006 wife says it is I was going to buy it and fix it but then the light went on where will I find the time for that
Brother had a new 87 4x4 and we are a rust check family. Made no difference I think over time we replaced everything but the roof
I remember we made a trip to south carolina with it and while there went to a junk yard and changed out the box and doors before we came back. Yep left canada gray and came back 1/2 gray and half red :p Mechanical wise brakes we did a lot , u joints and a clutch is all I can remember Rode like a tank

· Registered
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Funny you mention frames wife's brother has one sitting in his yard in sackville as we speak ( he went and bought a new jeep ) nice looking truck but when he went to get the brakes done they would not inspect it since the frame is rusted out and need to be replaced. 2006 wife says it is I was going to buy it and fix it but then the light went on where will I find the time for that
Brother had a new 87 4x4 and we are a rust check family. Made no difference I think over time we replaced everything but the roof
I remember we made a trip to south carolina with it and while there went to a junk yard and changed out the box and doors before we came back. Yep left canada gray and came back 1/2 gray and half red :p Mechanical wise brakes we did a lot , u joints and a clutch is all I can remember Rode like a tank
Years ago Ford had a metal delamination that was happening, early seventies I believe. Toyota to me seems to have the same issues. Early Suzuki had simular where cross supports would let go even undercoated. Happened inside to out. Had a guy come by once wanting to know if I could weld his differential. (pin holes from the inside out). Said good luck with that.

· Registered
18,486 Posts
Years ago Ford had a metal delamination that was happening, early seventies I believe. Toyota to me seems to have the same issues. Early Suzuki had simular where cross supports would let go even undercoated. Happened inside to out. Had a guy come by once wanting to know if I could weld his differential. (pin holes from the inside out). Said good luck with that.
We seen that pin hole stuff a lot here tried this vs welding and if a ford guy you remember this stuff :p:p the old tiger hair which still leaked but the old metalux I think it was called didnot have to run and take mama for tea still no power there and she is home bugging me :p

· Registered
18,486 Posts
Nice job joe. I’ll bring mine up for cleaning and paint. Just cannot stand doing anything remotely related to mechanic work anymore. 39 yrs was more then enough for me.
Thanks if not a honda or family I will not touch it :p and even family now is questionable :D:D I only worked at a dealership turning my wrenches for maybe two years total and most of that time was when the mines would go out on strike
I hated it working under vehicles with nothing but rust in your eyes and breaking off bolts and in those days flat rate and made peanuts looking back the winter was even worse with all the snow melting and road salt getting all over you and freezing to death since very little heat in the bays

241 - 248 of 248 Posts