Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on this.
I've always read that deer go crazy over acorns. I'm just not so sure deer in NB and NS ever got that memo. When I lived in NB I did find stands of oaks and therefore acorns on the ground a couple times but never the copious amounts of deer sign that I expected.
Where I'm hunting now the acorns are everywhere this year. They're constantly falling so there are lots over many acres. Problem is, I don't see any evidence that the deer are bothering with them at all.
I believe most of the trees are red oaks and I seem to recall reading that deer much prefer white oaks acorns.
What has been your experience with this?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
From my experince they do not bother with them much until the acorns have seen a good amount of frost or freeze . if you were to go back to that oak stand in Janurary .you will see lots of sign of the deer pawing out of the snow .

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I have never had any luck with acorns. I have some trees on my property, but no deer activity around them. In my other hunting spot …. There are a bunch of very mature oak trees (big basturds) … and the deer are at them constantly. I’m not sure if it’s just the location … or the deer prefer acorns from very mature trees. One would think an acorn would taste the same from all oak trees.

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
We used to travel an elevated hardwood ridge along a river..sat there quite a few times hoping to get a glimpse of WETF was raking the bark off the trees and leaving those BIG SPLAYED tracks !! Never did. There were acorn trees there...some years were better for dropping the mast than others...the deer knew it too. Was rooted up like hogs lived there.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
From my experince they do not bother with them much until the acorns have seen a good amount of frost or freeze . if you were to go back to that oak stand in Janurary .you will see lots of sign of the deer pawing out of the snow .
We only had a few on our property and we would never bother with them for hunting until the snow came. Once a few inches was down they would hit them hard as you say but not before
Cheers

·
GREYBEARD
2,927 Posts
At our previous house the next door neighbor had a couple mature red oak trees and the deer were in his yard eating acorns as soon as they started to fall.
I could stand in my yard and watch them eat the acorns but they would spit out the acorn cap.
Where I live now, there is a white oak at the end of a field, and the ground around the tree is full of tracks.
The deer are there cleaning up the acorns but not anytime that I have been there.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I have never had luck with anything but apples, I know people in different parts of NS have success with carrots and corn.

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
Where we hunted for the past 35 years, the carrots will rot on the ground ! Little bit of rodent chewing but nuthin else...even the bears didn't / wouldn't eat em !!!

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
It is funny how different areas the deer select their favorites
We tried just about everything we grew in the past 10 years even grapes and tomatoes and it shocked us what they would and would not eat
My buds deer are so spoilied they will pick the honey crisp out of the pile and eat them first. I kid you not
Right now we pound them with beet tops and swiss chad as fast as we put it out it is gone
Won't even touch corn or carrots
Cheers

·
GREYBEARD
2,927 Posts
I have set out apples, carrots and pumpkins here.
Apples and carrots the deer went to them right away, the pumpkins took a while but the were eaten as well.
In the garden before it was fenced to keep more than bunnies out the deer would eat beans, peas and cherry tomatoes.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
An old farmer who now I am his age :( once told me. Deer will eat different things in different areas of the province based on what they are exposed to year round
For example where we are carrots are not grown in huge quantities nor is corn so they almost seem they have to develop a taste for it when we place it in bait piles
Pumpkins was a good example for us. A few years ago we put them out by the truck load and they didnot even touch them until they were rotten and winter sent in. Now must be 5 years later they will take them way earlier but not if apples are there
All I know is a load of carrots is a waste of time right now here and as long as we feed them beet tops and chard they will not even touch the apples
Last year I made two of those PVC pipe deer feeders for my bud and he put out a few bags of corn
Deer never touched them but like he said fattest blue jays, squirrels and crows he has ever had around his blind:D
IMHO one has to experiment to see what they will go for in your area if you have no time for that stick to apples which seem to work everywhere to some degree
Cheers

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I hunt up Oxford way and the deer love both apples and corn. The boys have informed me that they dropped 4 tons of carrot by my blind. They only bait once for the entire season lol
No one, not even the boys, are allowed to hunt that blind until after i harvest my deer.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
I hunt up Oxford way and the deer love both apples and corn. The boys have informed me that they dropped 4 tons of carrot by my blind. They only bait once for the entire season lol
No one, not even the boys, are allowed to hunt that blind until after i harvest my deer.
So no one hunts it every year :p

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I dont make skunked trophies for me
Ive been super lucky to have harvested deer 20/21 years. The year i missed it was my own fault, i was walking the edge of a blueberry field and a deer was to my right in the field, if i stopped so did the deer. It was a cold morning and the snow was crunchy. I thought i had lots of space before the blind, i was wrong, i tripped over the entrance to the blind and heard the deer bouncing away.
Another 5 minutes and he would have been ahead of me as the morning light crested the trees and lut the field.
Never did see another deer that season

·
Administrator
10,197 Posts
I used to cut the paunch open after I field dressed my deer...to see what they've been eating. It's not ONLY grasses in there...you'd be amazed at how many had tiny crab apples...bigger apple junks and Rose Hips in them ! More than a few with the rose hip berries too ! Find the food sources, you'll find the critters !

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
I used to cut the paunch open after I field dressed my deer...to see what they've been eating. It's not ONLY grasses in there...you'd be amazed at how many had tiny crab apples...bigger apple junks and Rose Hips in them ! More than a few with the rose hip berries too ! Find the food sources, you'll find the critters !
I have never done it but my grandfather sure did with every deer and grouse
Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Noticed this season while walking into bear site . Road in a couple placed loaded with acorns. In the last week they are all gone.
. Only seen one set of tracks there . Deer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What time of year do deer eat acorns?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts