Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
I never do. Don't need or want the meat that bad. Plus does carry fawns thus making more deer in the long run.
Same here. I can't see a little one being left to fend off predators. I watch quite a few come and go each year with little ones, then someone takes the doe and it becomes a lost fawn at the bait pile for the rest of the season. Easy taking for coyotes.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I haven’t shot a doe since 1992. I don’t shoot does for the very reasons mentioned above, but would never look down upon anyone who wants to harvest one and put her in the freezer. With all the bucks around my woodlot … If I wanted meat for the freezer, I would take a spike or a 4 pt.… but I always hold out for the big one and usually end up with a “skunked” trophy.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I haven’t shot a doe since 1992. I don’t shoot does for the very reasons mentioned above, but would never look down upon anyone who wants to harvest one and put her in the freezer. With all the bucks around my woodlot … If I wanted meat for the freezer, I would take a spike or a 4 pt.… but I always hold out for the big one and usually end up with a “skunked” trophy.
Haven't given the trophy much thought yet but ill put your name right below kevins

·
Registered
706 Posts
Agree. If you're hunting for meat and does are legal where you hunt, no judgement from me. Ive shot a doe before myself.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Personally I’d rather shoot a doe in some of my areas than a younger buck. With the amount of deer in some of the fields and property’s I got permission on, where I’m somewhat able to manage the herd. There’s a few select dry does, or very old horse face does that I allow some of the younger guys to take in the event theyre unsuccessful in getting the calibre of deer they are after. A doe is just a doe, but a young buck if shot doesn’t grow to be a mature one. That’s just my take on things

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Well my feeling is this , with hunting here on the Cape as said B4 Buck / Doe ratio is outta whack , so far on cameras I have 19 different does 7 of which have no fawns or yearlings accompany them 3 sets of twins , 2 sets of tripplets , two button bucks traveling together , very little growth on the Antlers yet and Zero bucks caught on camera .

I've cameras on my wood lot where the only cutting takes place , two different trails , my road going in , couple around the apple trees and up the big hardwood where for last several yrs. Most cameras this yr are elevated higher as not to be looking straight at the deer but more so down at them so no lights of any sort , gone mostly with blackout style no flash/glare style .

What bucks I have kicking around are very elusive , does on other hand I know of 4-5 of the 7 loner does could easily be taken out and not hurt one bit .

Deer meat is meat on the table , with higher expense every yr , Putting food on my table and saving on meat bill at grocery store takes priority In my book .

Cannot eat Antlers or drop sheds , nice to look at but don't keep my wife happy , shes happy if I harvest any deer . I'll hold out for nice buck or one I believe needs taking out, but doe tag in hand is not getting wasted at end of the season .

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
I never do. Don't need or want the meat that bad. Plus does carry fawns thus making more deer in the long run.
One doe = 2 fawns, maybe 3 in a single year
One buck = 10-15 fawns maybe more in a single season
Plus constantly harvesting mature bucks in a given area means more does being bred by younger bucks and lowers the gene pool thus not producing as many big racks in the future. Deer herds even in the wild need constant culling of younger deer as well as older deer beyond their prime to produce the so called “ monster bucks”.

Reactions: sako3006

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Ok to shoot does when legal. I prefer to shoot 21/2 yr old bucks. But will take the odd doe. There is a reason cattle are slaughtered at a young age. I’ve shot my share of big bucks but got tired of tuff meat, now I hunt for table fare and there is nothing better then properly handled deer meat , juicy and tender, no steak knife needed!
But sometimes ( twice in the last 14 yrs) when a BIG RACK appears the brain shuts down and an arrow goes smack before I even realize it!!! Cursed at myself both times too, long hard drag is for young people.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
I don’t apply for doe tags because I hunt numerous different zones but do hunt 107 the most and there are lots of deer in most of 107

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where I hunted last year there were about 14 does traveling together. Saw a couple spikes bach'ing it. There were at least a couple mature bucks. I got a former 8 point (part of one side of the rack broken off) and I know there was a larger, more elusive one out there. I'm not hunting for a rack. I'm putting meat in the freezer. Got 6 kids (all still home) so any bit helps.
Got a doe tag for my zone this year.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Putting meat on the table is the number one reason for hunting, to some people. Shooting a deer is just a bonus to me. I love hunting more than shooting. It takes a special deer for me to pull the trigger. Just a side note on taking large bucks … chances are, they fathered some of those “small bucks”, so even though they might only be spikes or 4 pointers, the genes are still there. They are born with those genes, they don’t acquire them during growth, so it doesn’t have a huge impact on the gene pool.

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
Putting meat on the table is the number one reason for hunting, to some people. Shooting a deer is just a bonus to me. I love hunting more than shooting. It takes a special deer for me to pull the trigger. Just a side note on taking large bucks … chances are, they fathered some of those “small bucks”, so even though they might only be spikes or 4 pointers, the genes are still there. They are born with those genes, they don’t acquire them during growth, so it doesn’t have a huge impact on the gene pool.
agree 100%

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I received my doe tag in the mail yesterday for zone 106 that is two years in a row,harvested a buck last year so I did not use the tag but who knows what is instore this fall can"t wait.Maybe I should have put in for a moose tag after giving up on the draw
I'm not putting in for a moose tag until I have the gear and time to hunt. This is only my second year hunting.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Genes weaken with each generation, younger bucks regardless of genes seldom produce “ king of the woods” type offspring.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts