Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Putting meat on the table is the number one reason for hunting, to some people. Shooting a deer is just a bonus to me. I love hunting more than shooting. It takes a special deer for me to pull the trigger. Just a side note on taking large bucks … chances are, they fathered some of those “small bucks”, so even though they might only be spikes or 4 pointers, the genes are still there. They are born with those genes, they don’t acquire them during growth, so it doesn’t have a huge impact on the gene pool.
I love to still hunt whether with a rifle, bow or no weapon in hand. Getting as close to wild critters ( any and all wildlife ) is what I enjoy the most. Nothing like get within 15-20 yards of a big buck and then start talking to him,lol, really comical sometimes!
But I harvest two most years depending on how much success the “team” has and how much meat I have, we almost never buy beef so we need enough deer meat to last til next season and we eat a lot of red meat. Because ground deer meat is a bit dry my wife mixes it with ground chicken.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Where I hunted last year there were about 14 does traveling together. Saw a couple spikes bach'ing it. There were at least a couple mature bucks. I got a former 8 point (part of one side of the rack broken off) and I know there was a larger, more elusive one out there. I'm not hunting for a rack. I'm putting meat in the freezer. Got 6 kids (all still home) so any bit helps.
Got a doe tag for my zone this year.
With six kids I. Hope you have a really good job - ie- surgeon / dental surgeon
Likely wind up with 20+ grandkids!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a tag for my area. Does taste just a good as good as Bucks and better yet I have lots of does on my land so taking a few out doesn't hurt at all. Usually one of our group gets a tag every year. My rule for my group at my camp is if you get a tag use it unless a 8pt or better comes along the way. Besides it gives my bucks a break and lets them age a few years. Been hunting for 47 years this way and my dad always said. You can't eat antlers.... For herd management its always good to lighten up the doe population. Keeps my bucks around. 40 years and counting. Works for us

21 - 24 of 24 Posts