Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Dog stand/seat, or nothing?

872 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Tulligunak 
#1 ·
It's my first duck season with a dog this year. I've never hunted with any one else's dog before either. So I have a very naive question.... What do you all recommend for the dog to sit on in the blind? Is it fine to sit on the ground? I'll be in your typical shore blind in natural vegetation along the forested lakes and saltmarshes. Or should the dog have a seat or pad of some kind?

#2 ·
I found just gathering some spruce boughs and dried out long grasses were enough to provide a comfortable spot for my dogs , this yr my son has his first Waterfowl dog , Just doing the same and he seems to be comfortable and knows once its fixed back up it's his place to be .

#3 · (Edited)
We always carried a home made plywood box done up with camo etc etr and it was part of our spread
Swing door on one end so the dog can enter from the blind side and open on the other so he can watch the birds only place we didnot use it was full ground blinds with the top sliding overhead door
Not too big so he can turn around in it. I first seen them in pei and liked it so made one at the time
Cheers
This dude is in the type we used

#6 ·
We always carried a home made plywood box done up with camo etc etr and it was part of our spread
Swing door on one end so the dog can enter from the blind side and open on the other so he can watch the birds only place we didnot use it was full ground blinds with the top sliding overhead door
Not too big so he can turn around in it. I first seen them in pei and liked it so made one at the time
Cheers
This dude is in the type we used
Nice dog, we had a golden one. Awesome hunting dog very little training as he was a natural for retrieving but he learned to point and flush pheasants and partridge. Man that dog loved hunting, if he just saw a gun he got super excited.

#7 ·
We hunted the out going tide for ducks. We just hid behind rocks moving out farther with the tide. The dog just sat on the ground behind the rock with us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.