Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dont forget there are many struggling throughout the year - if you've got a few extra bucks, maybe toss a few in these guys direction or some other group doing the good work.

the groups/agencies they support throughout the Province;

annual 50/50 draw;

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I used to donate a lot of venison Burger to Feed Nova Scotia. Since we have our own meat shop now, I no longer take my deer to a government inspected facility. It's too bad, because I have a lot of friends that would donate and they can't because they process their own deer. I'm sure the people that could use it could give a rat's arse if it was government inspected or not.

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
So true Gary. We all have so many blessings and take the ones like maybe putting food on the table and heat for granted
Our greenhouses every year adopt two families in that program for xmas and this year they had so many more still not taken care of we wished we could have taken on more
Take care

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
NOW THIS IS AN AWESOME THREAD !!! Wish I had of thought of it.
We donate regularly plus a sizeable donation every Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Plus a portion of every deer harvested by our team ( no exceptions if you want my help! )
Growing up I have memories of being poor, my parents didn’t start to get ahead until I was around 11-12 yrs old. But they always helped out others!
One early memory from grade 4, my teacher told me to bring a new scribbler to school tomorrow as my was full. Went home and told my mother who said we don’t have any and no money until pay day. Next day when the teacher asked why I didn’t have a new one I told her because we couldn’t afford one until payday. Of course the other kids laughed which led to a couple fight at recess,lol. When I got home mom asked why I was fighting again so I told her. Next day my parents went to the school and read the riot act to the teacher and the principle for embarrassing me in front of the class. Although in those early years we were poor we were happy! So although I may have been too young to fully understand what it meant to be poor and eat pap for lunch most days I do remember and know others need help and many through not fault of their own.
So dig deep people cause ITS BETTER TO GIVE THEN TO RECIEVE !!!

Reactions: 3macs1

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Feed NS will not take Wild Meat unless it is butchered at an inspected site. However, a big however, many local food banks will take wild meat regardless. The Food Bank in Windsor will take any Wild Meat donated, inspected or not. I have donated Moose Burger to them and spoke with them just this past fall about future donations. I used to donate half my Deer to Feed NS as well, but the local Butcher's that were under that umbralla no longer butcher Wild Meat...

·
Administrator
10,997 Posts
Our local community center ( x-Firehall) just had their annual food drive last tuesday. Normally they only take non-perishable items...the wife called to ask if they would accept fresh vegetables, and they said they would indeed accept potatoes, carrots, turnip and onions this close to Christmas, so we added 6 ea of those to our donations. Great start to any meal !
They completely filled an suv and the back of a 3/4 ton truck...along with over a thousand bucks in cash and gift cards !
Great success for a community as small as ours ! It will stay close to home here in our local communities. The need is everywhere !!
Annnnd you're all so right....if you can, help out some other families.....lord knows there's lots who can use it !

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
Our local community center ( x-Firehall) just had their annual food drive last tuesday. Normally they only take non-perishable items...the wife called to ask if they would accept fresh vegetables, and they said they would indeed accept potatoes, carrots, turnip and onions this close to Christmas, so we added 6 ea of those to our donations. Great start to any meal !
They completely filled an suv and the back of a 3/4 ton truck...along with over a thousand bucks in cash and gift cards !
Great success for a community as small as ours ! It will stay close to home here in our local communities. The need is everywhere !!
Annnnd you're all so right....if you can, help out some other families.....lord knows there's lots who can use it !
Funny you mention vegetables
Every year I take wheel barrels down of extra veggies and the year before covid they would not take them unless I bagged them
Pissed me off so took them back home and just eventually gave them away to people we knew
I checked again this fall and no mention of bags or being in bulk and said they may even be able to send some people up to help pick
The nice part came when the mrs ran into someone that got some of them and thanked her since fresh veggies is something rarely they get she said and how much her family enjoyed them
People ask why I grow so much like 900 onions as an example well know you know

Cheers

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
If Daddy Trudeau has 1 billion dollars to buy your guns, not sure why he can't throw a billion at all the charities and people in need. Wouldn't that make more sense?

·
Administrator
10,997 Posts
Good morning to bump Gary's thread back up...it's NEVER too late to help those in need.
(forget the AR's for now you two ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
The HWWA supports the concept of donation to a food bank since our members luck or lack of can be questionable; we give a cash donation to the Windsor and District food bank each year. Regardless of how anyone donates to a worthy cause all the best to each and everyone. There is a lot of truth in the saying that Atlantic Canadians reach out and help when needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.