Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just toying with the concept at this point, in case I ever find myself living in Cape Breton...

Metro Rifle and Pistol say a lot of things on their site. It's hard to track what is now and what is a wish item some day.

It seems like they operate as an extension of the DNR range. Is there shooting at the ranges only 2 days a week, or is that just the hours for if you want to congregate and yak about guns and stuff? I like the ability to head to a range solo or maybe with one other person and possibly enjoy a range with them for a hour. Is that possible to do on a random day at Metro Rifle and Pistol? What about restricted? Can it be done on a random day rather than the calendar meet days? All this assuming one is a member and has completed their orientation and probation period...

·
Registered
798 Posts
The Club paid to build a 25m pistol range on the DNR property. In exchange they get Wednesday mornings and Sunday afternoons on said 25m for exclusive use for Club members and this is when the members can show up and shoot pistols.

Membership requires a safety orientation...basically just an overview of the Hot range/Cold Range principals to make sure everyone is on the same page as many people have never shot on a line with other shooters. it's not a very onerous process by any means. No probational shoots.

It's pretty limited access but substantially more than a few years ago when we could only get 1 Saturday morning a month and nothing during hunting season.

The Club has purchased 150 acres of land and is going through the development process to get their own facility up and running to give members better access. It's a long process to get a new range approved.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Plus the Lingan Skeet Club is moving up there with the Metro Pistol Club , this from Lingan Skeet Club , Presidents mouth , their range has not gotten a renewal due to a house being built on adjacent property within the boundries needed for buffer .

Bubba682 may have more info, as i was told he's a member there as well , but I was speaking with Lingan Club Pres. at my residence while conducting a Ammo deal , he said several changes going ahead with the Leiches Creek range area, with purchase of that land .

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
Learned something new THANKS and real nice to hear bubba took up skeet and trap. He will enjoy it

Hope he will chime in and fill us in on the progress for the potential new shooting opportunities in Leiches creek. Might be time to break out the old skeet guns again
smile.png
. Sure hope a sporting clay field happens as some talked about

My information is old on this project like a year or more and at that stage a lot of funding had to be raised to build what they wanted and even talk of trying for some government grants.( which would be interesting to see if they would get approved for the shooting sports ) I hope they get what is required regardless to grow the sport and membership again

Not sure anymore who the pres is now if Bernie ( one hell of a 410 shooter that can run them with the 410 on a regular basis ) or Rob still but if Bernie hope you were the buyer of ammo and not the seller and he is finally selling that ammo stash he sits on since a ton of very nice vintage ammo has been sitting since the store closed ( must be 30 years ago ) some very rare now and worth money

I made an offer on all the 16ga and 28ga some years back but we could not make a deal pricing was just too high for me being a reloader of both

The old imperial shotguns shells still there I would almost kill for
sad.png
or was there

Ahh the smell priceless :)

Cheers

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Robert Larade is President , and where I received the info , not sure about Bernie , what I do know is this month the licencing for the Range at Lingan is No longer ! that Range will be Closed .

I sold off some rounds that would not properly feed in my Sako , Rob mostly wanted the Brass I had as it was scarce to find , told him any more i have once fired I'd let him know since be lives right around the corner from me

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
Robert Larade is President , and where I received the info , not sure about Bernie , what I do know is this month the licencing for the Range at Lingan is No longer ! that Range will be Closed .

I sold off some rounds that would not properly feed in my Sako , Rob mostly wanted the Brass I had as it was scarce to find , told him any more i have once fired I'd let him know since be lives right around the corner from me
Understand honestly didnot know Rob reloaded rifle but been a long time since I seen him at least 7 or 8 years when we traded lead for an old veggie seeder . I knew the old club was finished also in june which is real sad since some guys wanted lead shot from me for reloading and are holding off to see when they will be shooting again

You would remember Bernie he was one of the owners of the small outfitting store in dominion that sold guns and ammo and huge in ducks unlimited for a while

He normally buys 300 old style black writing winchester aa 410 hulls from me a year for reloading and all he will use which is the only time I lay eyes on him . The store was across from the old LOC hall that is long gone now but store building still there

So the huge stash of the store ammo is still sitting I would say My god what a stash that was/ is

Even real rare lever ammo there that someone here
tongue.png
with a bear for a dog would kill for . Must ask him what the ammo story is now if I see him this summer which was normally his yearly hull time but if they are not shooting maybe not this year

Take care

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if I understand it properly, if I lived in the region and just wanted to plink with a 22 rifle on a Tuesday, it currently has nothing to do with a club. Just book the range with DNR.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
So if I understand it properly, if I lived in the region and just wanted to plink with a 22 rifle on a Tuesday, it currently has nothing to do with a club. Just book the range with DNR.
Exactly , no issues , its regular DNR range time

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Bernie and I believe his brother Bob McViegh is who i bought my huge stash off yrs ago when they closed up the store and even b4 that , what I bought was only tip of the iceberg as to what they hoarded away .

I was shown a huge chunk not all but was also sold only store stock so they did not need to move it one spot to the other . Made 4 trips with my old Oldsmobile , trunk and back seat filled and there was enough left at the store alone for 8-10 trips , that place was gold mine for hunting supplies while out at Muddy Hole or on way back from Morien Bay .

Good part that store stash is mine , not just ammo , scope mounts , rings , bases , sights, calls , Got enough Quaker calls last a 2 lifetimes, some are just sitting in Collection , never used others with yrs of use , some passed to my kids that waterfowl hunt and the envy of friends who pay big bucks for hand tuned wood waterfowl calls and have decades old tech that still brings in birds.

Plus those guys knew their stuff and were great help to younger guys just getting out on their own .

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
Bernie and I believe his brother Bob McViegh is who i bought my huge stash off yrs ago when they closed up the store and even b4 that , what I bought was only tip of the iceberg as to what they hoarded away .

I was shown a huge chunk not all but was also sold only store stock so they did not need to move it one spot to the other . Made 4 trips with my old Oldsmobile , trunk and back seat filled and there was enough left at the store alone for 8-10 trips , that place was gold mine for hunting supplies while out at Muddy Hole or on way back from Morien Bay .

Good part that store stash is mine , not just ammo , scope mounts , rings , bases , sights, calls , Got enough Quaker calls last a 2 lifetimes, some are just sitting in Collection , never used others with yrs of use , some passed to my kids that waterfowl hunt and the envy of friends who pay big bucks for hand tuned wood waterfowl calls and have decades old tech that still brings in birds.

Plus those guys knew their stuff and were great help to younger guys just getting out on their own .
Yes sir that is the place

I can close my eyes and see those calls in the glass case under the counter :) Some may have my drool on them
laugh.png
from when I was a kid and could not afford one

Yes grade 7 when I started to go to school up there I would drop in just about every other day since they sold shells by the each so I would buy a few BB a few 4 etc etc for the hunting on the beach or muddy hole about 2 bucks would do me a night imagine . We never did much in morien since that was buttsville in those days and we didnot need the BS

If you got that stuff it is all quality since they sold no junk and yes knew their stuff but their mom who almost lived in that store knew the same. She was a fine lady

You are bang on with what they sold and what they didnot. So many guns new in boxes also that never made it up stairs. I bet they still have it all. I know he had still a ton of ammo about 10 years ago when I asked

All I bought when they first closed was all the 10ga shells they had in that little cabinet at the back wall upstairs but still must have been 25 boxes of mainly federal copper plated BB

All gone now :(. Shot them at the skeet club when the lead ban came so I could use the hulls to reload steel

Talk about smoke them

Take care and thanks for the good memories
smile.png
made me smile

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Bob was also the principal at the old CBRVS , circa 84-86, when i attended my tenor of Brick and Tile , he searched out the guys who loved waterfowl to promote his store but also guide , help and tutor the passion of shooting sports and safety , this at a time when sportman truly reached out to help and mentor and when we had outdoorsmen and women galor .

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
Bob was also the principal at the old CBRVS , circa 84-86, when i attended my tenor of Brick and Tile , he searched out the guys who loved waterfowl to promote his store but also guide , help and tutor the passion of shooting sports and safety , this at a time when sportman truly reached out to help and mentor and when we had outdoorsmen and women galor .
Yes sir, Bernie was a principal also but Bob was much easier to deal with IMO and talk to. He was also one of the best mayors dominion ever had and did a lot for the town and it's people

I would listen quietly if you can imagine
biggrin.png
biggrin.png
when he would share stories at the store about his Africa hunts

Yes they don't make them like him any more for sure. I have not seen him since he sold his house some years ago and will have to ask his sister who is a veggie customer what he is up to now

Take care

1 - 12 of 12 Posts