Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Double or Nothing

My youngest brother was visiting my wife and I at our home on Eagle Lake, which was located in Northwestern
Ontario. It was on a weekend in late May and we decided to go “ Beer Canning”. We invited some friends to join us. Utilizing two boats, we travelled thirty minutes up the lake to our favourite spot. The plan was to roast some wieners while “soaking” for lake trout.

The name soaking came from the fact that a frozen Cisco or fresh water herring was attached to a hook and suspended off the bottom and left to soak until eaten by a fish. This was an effective method early in the season as lake trout cruised the cold, shallow water looking for bait fish that did not survive the winter. A good size weight was attached to the line about twenty inches above the baited hook and the rig dropped in about twenty-five feet of water. The line was left to free spool while it was taken back to shore in the boat and handed off to someone to place in a forked branch to hold it in place. This allowed you to sit and enjoy a hot dog and a beer while watching your line. Once the beer can was empty you wrapped the line around it, and when a trout took the bait, it tipped over the beer can, alerting you to the fact that you had a fish on. However, instead of beer cans, we used orange flagging tape tied to the line in a single, semi tight knot about two feet from the tip of the rod. This way, the flagging tape stayed in place but once it moved up to the tip of the rod, it allowed the line to move through the knot and be retrieved. After everyone had a rod set along the shore, their job was to keep an eye on the orange flagging tape. When the tape disappeared under the water, it was then, that you set the hook in the fishes mouth.

With some fluffy white clouds floating in the sky and a light breeze , it was a good day for fishing. We were enjoying the roasted wieners and catching some nice size lake trout. At one point the orange tape disappeared under the water and my brother set the hook. However, while he was reeling it in, the fish made its way under a sunken tree or some such structure and refused to move. After giving the fish some slack and walking down the shore a bit and pulling from a different angle, the fish started to move. It slowly made it way toward shore. To our surprise, my brother reeled in a piece of a sunken branch, a five pound lake trout, and a musky about twice the size, that had grabbed the lake trout by the stomach and refused to let go! Musky season was not open yet, and we did not want to cause it any harm. There was an excited debate as to the best way to get the musky to let go of the trout and who was going to do it. Both fish were scooped into the net, but kept in the water. Then, with some reluctance, our friend took hold of the metal leader in one hand and the trout in the other and lifted it out of the water and was able to shake it free from the musky’s mouth. The musky was set free and the trout was kept for the BBQ.

Everyone in the group landed a fish that day. That evening, I butterflied a six-seven pound lake trout, rubbed it with grape seed oil and placed it on the BBQ, skin down on the grill. I closed the lid approximately half way and let it cook until the translucency in the flesh started to disappear. At that point, I coated the flesh with a buttery brown sugar orange glaze created by my wife. Then, I closed the lid half way and let the fish cook until it just started to glaze over. Meanwhile, potatoes and carrots coated in grape seed oil and sprinkled with dill were roasting in the oven. We all enjoyed the perfect meal to cap off a perfect day.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts