Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
12 and 22lr
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning.
Fresh take down here and usually im waiting a few hours to start harvesting.
Im looking for insight here. I harvest about 1-3 a year. Im no expert on using ever bit of meat and parts of the duck.
I will be cooking for me and my husky malamute and its her first time having duck. I need to know how to use every bit of this waterfowl for me and my dog.
  • What do you cook or give raw to your dog from mallards
  • How long to you let your ducks hang.
Let me know everything about how you do it.

thanks fellas have a great day!
Bird Beak Grey Feather Wing

· Registered
3,039 Posts
pretty good vid here.

Im a fan of plucking entire bird (especially when theres few or no pin feathers) and doing up in a covered cast iron dutch oven or roaster pan with lid.
Lots of recipes on line - use a meat thermometer to get it done how you want it.
We simmer the carcass/bones after eating/using the meat - makes an awesome broth.

Dont know anything about feeding dogs raw stuff. However, never fed our dogs cooked bird bones.

· Registered
12 and 22lr
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Duck is done, breasted out with wings and legs with feet attached. Took internals as well and fast fried them. Head and neck taken as well. Big breasts.
Gary have you fed the head or necks to any dogs?

· Registered
4,040 Posts
We ourselves do duck / goose several ways , my wife makes a stuffing using the hearts , livers and gizzard , added in are onion , garlic , celery , home made broth , salt , pepper & other seasonings .

Breasted out with legs are done in either a wine sauce or glaze , we also make poppers out of smaller ducks .

Livers , hearts and gizzard from game birds are always flash frozen for future meals .

As far as feeding the pets it's always cooked and bones removed very carefully , necks are given to them or the cats , Bones/bodies boiled down for future broth as Gary said makes excellent broth .

We eat more duck / goose than chicken thru the fall & winter into the spring than chicken , really saves on the meat bill

· Registered
500 Posts
Good info mentioned here, we don’t give our chessies raw meat. I cook it up for them with no spices or anything and they enjoy. I don’t give them the internals, except heart, gizzard and such and always cooked. Lot’s of info out there and science around raw meat. However, to each’s own.

· Registered
12 and 22lr
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info mentioned here, we don’t give our chessies raw meat. I cook it up for them with no spices or anything and they enjoy. I don’t give them the internals, except heart, gizzard and such and always cooked. Lot’s of info out there and science around raw meat. However, to each’s own.
Much agreed, cooked is safer and my choice aswell. I have a duck neck and head in the freezer. I have read where its safe to feed them to the dogs, hoping to hear if someone has done or seen this before. Looking for reassurance

· Registered
4,040 Posts
Much agreed, cooked is safer and my choice aswell. I have a duck neck and head in the freezer. I have read where its safe to feed them to the dogs, hoping to hear if someone has done or seen this before. Looking for reassurance
Any game bird de-bone the meat , it splinters easily and can get caught in a animals throat , so for my own self it's a no go for dogs , never have I given my dogs bones from game birds

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Any game bird de-bone the meat , it splinters easily and can get caught in a animals throat , so for my own self it's a no go for dogs , never have I given my dogs bones from game birds
That's my understanding. I know our dog at home once ate the remainder of a cooked chicken with no ill effects. But that is a lucky one off and I wouldn't risk my dogs life ever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts