Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Duck Hunting / Fishing boat in Fresh and Salt water.

2K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  23946 
#1 ·
So a boat for both Fresh and Salt water use. What is the best material. Fibreglass or aluminum. I am talking 18 footer give or take.

#2 ·
Well , for my self I'm running a older 12 ft Lund Aluminium with modified seating for storage underneath , little cramped for 2 and loaded up with Duck Hunting gear and decoys , I've got a older 80's 9.9 Evinrude I plan on using but for now I 've got a very nicely looked after 73 6hp Johnson , I don't go outside the sand bars with it mostly into the coves of Salt marsh . It's also great for the lakes when by my self , I do have a manual winch on the trailer. Only way I get rid of the boat itself is if I got my hands on a 14 ft Jon boat .

I'm partial to Aluminium myself , I find Fiber Galss a lot more heavier

#3 ·
Really depends on the condtions you plan on hunting.Used to hunt late season in the minas basin and it would get ROUGH sometimes, we hunted out of a deephull 16' fiberglass the extra weight was nice in the rough water also for stability while shooting.Had a 14' aluminum deep hull for freshwater hunting but it was tight with gear decoys dog and 2 hunters.So many variables depending on how what and where you are hunting most important is to get something that is safe and comfortable for your needs and conditions.You want to be as comfortable as possible when you are already frozen and so stiff you cant hardly reload the shells into ur shotgun.Had a wave come over the back of a small aluminum one year in late december lost everything but we walked away and learned from the experience hope this helps:)

#11 · (Edited)
Yes, purchasing a Lund Alaskan is similar to buying a car. However, aluminum boats are a much better investment as they do not rust out and have few parts that wear out. The fact is a person usually uses a boat far less than an automobile and the outboards will last a very long time if maintained properly. For me it would be my last boat that I would own on earth.

#12 ·
Looking at the Prices of that Alaskan Lund pkg , quite the boat itself with quite the price , one of our Waterfowl hunting party bought a 1648 Jon boat pre Covid , out the door with trailer was $1800 tax in , same boat and trailer now is 6k , he set his up for fishing and now kicking his butt he never looked at the dual set up he meant to do , put in raised deck and higher seats for trolling , basically the set up with all his electronics took away using it for Duck hunting.

He is the type once he puts it a certain way he is no longer open to change it around .

Having a Boat like the Alaskan would be as you say Henry the last one I'd buy on this side of the sods

#18 ·
I think the link I posted above is of the G3 Bay 17’ . Centre consoles are very popular in Bay boats and those used in the salt water flats of Florida, etc. No doubt G3 makes a nice side console in a similar size boat for big lakes etc

#19 · (Edited)
So you will be using this new boat for mostly fishing?Im assuming you are aware that duck hunting is a dirty sport especially if u have a dog.The boats ive purchased for duck hunting over the years have all been second hand and some that need work just because i know what they are going to be subjected to.

#20 ·
Biggest factor is knowing your boat and knowing your operational skills.

I have a crestliner ambush (2013 Crestliner 16 Ambush - Full technical specifications, price, engine - The Boat Guide) . Its an aluminum jon. It has been a great piece of kit, super versatile. I use it in the minas basin and in the lakes and rivers for fishing. It is a flat bottom so I can get super shallow with it and it is light so I can launch on beaches without proper boat ramps.

things that annoy me about the boat: I would have loved a center console. Better visibility and more room. The cockpit "well" is a bit small. So gear is stored up on the fore and aft "casting decks". Due to the "casting" deck type setup - it doesn't lend itself to using it for a family cruise or fishing day ie: more than 3 - 4 people.

All that being said it is working well - I am in no rush to sell it and happy with the setup and purchase.

#21 ·
Just saw this on Kijiji, Not sure if it's what you're looking for but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than new lol

#22 · (Edited)
Woods master, this seems to be a decent deal. My only concern is it is probably rated for a max. Hp of 60. One thing that I learned after owning four power boats over thirty years is that there is nothing worse than an under powered boat, especially with a load in rough water.

#23 ·

I believe this is what you may be looking for and a decent price also.Comphy seating for up to ten,heavy enough for rough water but light enough to easily manuever around lakes.Not a fishing boat,not a duck hunting boat,not a powerboat,but its like a combination of all 3 built into 1 i tell ya that seem like a sweet deal to me.

#24 ·
Looks like a Tritoon. I have seen one of these big slabs of a boat on Lake of The Woods in rough water just blasting down the lake, no problem. This would be the perfect machine. Imagine this out on the salt with a rolling sea on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.