Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And the concern for lead poisoned eagles makes the news once more on CBC News Nova Scotia. Sorry, I can't seem to be able to copy & paste web addresses in these forums anymore, and the address is too long o type out, but if you go to CBC Nova Scotia the headline is a Ms. Van Doninck quote, "Hunters and anglers should stop using lead products, vet says: Switching to tungsten-based ammo and tackle could spare more birds like Birdzilla"

Gag me with a lead spoon! I'm still awaiting a response to my offer of hair, blood, and tissue samples from someone who grew up eating game shot with lead, and spit more shot out on the diner plate growing up than I can count. I explained if lead is bio-accumulating in the food chain as Ms. Van Doninck claims then there should be elevated levels in my system as well as others who have had similarly eaten game for decades, which had been harvested with lead ammo. They weren't interested however, as I suspect the results may not support their fear mongering of widespread lead poisoning among eagles or anything else.from lead fragments in lost game or gut piles.

I understand lead is toxic, I very seriously question the seriousness of lead ammo in the environment, when there are several potential sources of exposure far more prevalent than lead bullets or shot.

While I applaud Ms. Van Doninck's desire to help wildlife, I feel her anti-lead campaign is more to do with a understandable anti-hunting bias on the part of a veterinarian.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Well good to see she still has only treated one sick one since dec 2015 since she keeps bringing up that same old bird Birdzilla

Also very nice to see our friend Bob commenting. Kudos to you Bob :)

Yep Myra Finkelstein with her 3 year old report that went NO WHERE , Must be why the isotopic analysis and following lead bullet ban made such a difference in california to the condors

NOT looking at it now years later

Oh well they are the educated ones :)

Cheers

·
Administrator
10,477 Posts
DING....DING...DING......ROUND TWOOOO !!!!

Reactions: nomad

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Careful Kevin, I hear making "DING....DING...DING......." sounds may be a sign of early onset lead poisoning!

·
Administrator
10,477 Posts
hmmmmm...maybe that's why the kids call me "kevZilla"...lmao

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Hmmm, so the NSFAH has come out publicly in favour of getting rid of lead ammo?

·
GREYBEARD
3,056 Posts
I don't understand how this wind bag gets the ear of the CBC to say the say old tired story.

·
Gone Fishing!
1,857 Posts
Hmmm, so the NSFAH has come out publicly in favour of getting rid of lead ammo?
from the CBC article (which I will add - no one from the NSFAH was contacted to voice an opinion) :

.....The Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters also asks its members to stop using ammunition or tackle that contain lead....

The key word is "ASK". Zero wrong with options.

Although some will have you believe the NSFAH is quietly lobbying for a total ban on lead bullets across the globe, that's just not the case. A motion was passed in 2012 at a Federation Directors meeting, presented by Halifax Wildlife Association and agreed upon by the majority present, the ball was put back into the hands of the volunteers at HWA to run their program. Its now and education campaign, more-so than a lead exchange program.

No ban....

Just options.....

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
options are always a good option to have.....

·
Gone Fishing!
1,857 Posts
As said before the NSFAH is not always working for the best interest of all hunters as they claim. A special interest group like any other in my opinion.
Hey there beaverhunter, the NSFAH would really enjoy the claim of representing every hunter, trapper and recreational angler in and across Nova Scotia, but we all know it ain't gonna happen, that's why we don't promote what you are claiming.

Hunters in particular are very strong willed individuals and most stick to their own set of beliefs and are not interested in joining any association, let alone the NSFAH.

Here is our Mission Statement:

The Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters is dedicated to the conservation and propagation of the wildlife in the province for those who hunt, fish, trap or otherwise wish to enjoy the wildlife resources of Nova Scotia. This will be accomplished by education, cooperation and exchange of information will all people and by uniting provincial organizations having similar objectives.

Here is a preamble to anyone who searches us out on the WWW:

The Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters was founded in 1930 by concerned sportsmen who wanted to establish a unified, single, strong provincial voice to speak for hunters and anglers to government on matters of wildlife conservation. This role was recognized by the Government of Nova Scotia when they passed Chapter 148 of the Acts of 1930, the act creating the Federation.

The Federation has been that voice since 1930 and, supported by our Branch Affiliates (clubs) in the province with an estimated 7,215 members and supporters, it continues to work to ensure the message of hunters, trappers and anglers is heard at all levels of government. We have been able, with the help of our partners in government, to make significant positive changes in the province for sports people and the resource, and, through legislation protect our heritage activities.

Knowing there were well over 47,000 Habitat Stamps purchased last Fall, which represents a hunters' base license, and seeing we have roughly 7,215 members and supporters, that's hardly ALL.........

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
from the CBC article (which I will add - no one from the NSFAH was contacted to voice an opinion) :

.....The Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters also asks its members to stop using ammunition or tackle that contain lead....

The key word is "ASK". Zero wrong with options.

Although some will have you believe the NSFAH is quietly lobbying for a total ban on lead bullets across the globe, that's just not the case. A motion was passed in 2012 at a Federation Directors meeting, presented by Halifax Wildlife Association and agreed upon by the majority present, the ball was put back into the hands of the volunteers at HWA to run their program. Its now and education campaign, more-so than a lead exchange program.

No ban....
Just options.....
I don't know Ian. Wether the word is asks, recommends, urges, wants etc,etc, it still has some significance in this matter. It certainly gives a public perception that the fed is on board with a lead ban. A lot of things start out voluntary but eventually it becomes "voluntold". Having the Fed mentioned in the article "appearing" to be supporting Helene and company is going to excellerate a ban in this province imo.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Just to add Ian the NSFAH changed it position also since the very first comments they made and did some back peddling

In fact had to clarify it in a monthly news letter from the feedback they got.

Even made Nutz and the boys there from across canada sent e-mails etc

Some posts From Nutz

Received a fair amount of Pm's and e-mails on this from the NS guys with more than a walnut between their ears and can see beyond the trees and those hugging them that call themselves proactive hunters.
We want to get this under control before it spreads to other areas of hunting and target ammunition and of most importance effects other provinces.
There have been many suggestions on how to address this from boycotting the local businesses that sell the copper bullets, cancelling local memberships, stopping donations of time and money to these groups , getting the larger organizations involved, etc but at this early stage don't want to unintentionally drive it either so looking for feedback and suggestions on what our approach should be. Your comments are greatly appreciated

I love it when some idiot gets the brilliant idea that they can restrict themselves from doing something, or owning something, or using something "voluntarily" and that it's somehow better than being forced to do it by law. They don't ever seem to realize that the important thing (the end result) is exactly the same regardless of the method. At least when a politician tries to do it you can make a huge ungodly noise (politicians hate huge ungodly noise from voters)
Here once again is the new document
http://www.nsfah.ca/news/view.php?id=185

Flood them with email. Whether you live in Nova Scotia or not, this needs to be stopped.

http://www.nsfah.ca/contact/

One example

I just read through your proposition... My one question is do you have any science behind this or is it just the chicken little/propaganda/attempt to get noticed?
You have got to be kidding me if you believe that the impact of lead bullets on the environment or ecosystem is drastically affected by bullets.
I used to be once proud of the various organizations that had a pure interest in protecting wildlife, customs and rights... But these days, seems like most are slowly turning into dictatorships that have forgotten where they came from and what they were meant to accomplish.
Please feel free to respond and explain... Though I highly doubt you will.

A bit later then we heard words like ask and voluntary etc etc

This I recall well since I stopped supporting them at that time and since you took over back on the fence :)

Cheers

·
Gone Fishing!
1,857 Posts
I don't know Ian. Wether the word is asks, recommends, urges, wants etc,etc, it still has some significance in this matter. It certainly gives a public perception that the fed is on board with a lead ban. A lot of things start out voluntary but eventually it becomes "voluntold". Having the Fed mentioned in the article "appearing" to be supporting Helene and company is going to excellerate a ban in this province imo.
The key word is 'perception'.

A ban on lead bullets is not mentioned in the most recent CBC article, yet folks are jumping to that conclusion.

For some, its a short jump.

Others don't see the linkage..........

Again, I am puzzled as to why the NSFAH was even mentioned in the article - no one from CBC reached out to us for an opinion or an interview. Had we participated, the CBC writer would have been informed the Fed only has an action item surrounding non-lead ammo, and has nothing on the books surrounding lead fishing tackle used by recreational anglers.

·
Gone Fishing!
1,857 Posts
Just to add Ian the NSFAH changed it position also since the very first comments they made and did some back peddling

In fact had to clarify it in a monthly news letter from the feedback they got.

Even made Nutz and the boys there from across canada sent e-mails etc

Some posts From Nutz

Received a fair amount of Pm's and e-mails on this from the NS guys with more than a walnut between their ears and can see beyond the trees and those hugging them that call themselves proactive hunters.
We want to get this under control before it spreads to other areas of hunting and target ammunition and of most importance effects other provinces.
There have been many suggestions on how to address this from boycotting the local businesses that sell the copper bullets, cancelling local memberships, stopping donations of time and money to these groups , getting the larger organizations involved, etc but at this early stage don't want to unintentionally drive it either so looking for feedback and suggestions on what our approach should be. Your comments are greatly appreciated

I love it when some idiot gets the brilliant idea that they can restrict themselves from doing something, or owning something, or using something "voluntarily" and that it's somehow better than being forced to do it by law. They don't ever seem to realize that the important thing (the end result) is exactly the same regardless of the method. At least when a politician tries to do it you can make a huge ungodly noise (politicians hate huge ungodly noise from voters)
Here once again is the new document
http://www.nsfah.ca/news/view.php?id=185

Flood them with email. Whether you live in Nova Scotia or not, this needs to be stopped.

http://www.nsfah.ca/contact/

One example

I just read through your proposition... My one question is do you have any science behind this or is it just the chicken little/propaganda/attempt to get noticed?
You have got to be kidding me if you believe that the impact of lead bullets on the environment or ecosystem is drastically affected by bullets.
I used to be once proud of the various organizations that had a pure interest in protecting wildlife, customs and rights... But these days, seems like most are slowly turning into dictatorships that have forgotten where they came from and what they were meant to accomplish.
Please feel free to respond and explain... Though I highly doubt you will.

A bit later then we heard words like ask and voluntary etc etc

This I recall well since I stopped supporting them at that time and since you took over back on the fence :)

Cheers
Yup.

Yup....

and yup!

4 years later and the NSFAH is still clarifying the position statement, mostly because the perception is a total ban on lead bullets.

In reality, its more about education and choices.......

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
The key word is 'perception'.
A ban on lead bullets is not mentioned in the most recent CBC article, yet folks are jumping to that conclusion.
For some, its a short jump.
Others don't see the linkage..........

Again, I am puzzled as to why the NSFAH was even mentioned in the article - no one from CBC reached out to us for an opinion or an interview. Had we participated, the CBC writer would have been informed the Fed only has an action item surrounding non-lead ammo, and has nothing on the books surrounding lead fishing tackle used by recreational anglers.
So where do we go from here?The fact remains that the fed "was" mentioned in the article and presented to be on the side of getting the lead out. Is it wise to let people assume or perceive the article to be accurate? Not trying to be a thorn here but a ban is very likely coming down the pike at some point. If we appear to the public and consequently, to the legislators to be "for" getting rid of lead ammo, then that only serves to speed up the process imo.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ian, I'm not looking to argue but I'd suggest when the title of the bloody news piece states Hunters and anglers should stop using lead... the perception that the intent is an eventual ban is pretty much reality. Put as much lipstick on a pig as you wish, it'll still be a pig. If the NSFAH is supporting Ms. Van Doninck's message you are by default supporting and promoting a ban on lead in both hunting & fishing.

bea, I don't mean this as a cheap shot, but I do wish you'd consider the irony of your comment, "options are always a good option to have". Because you've made it pretty clear that you personally don't support the option for your fellow hunters who choose the option to hunt with a muzzleloader to share the woods in early fall.

Whether it is lead, or weapon of choice, or access to forest land for the purposes of hunting, it is ALL related and it ALL has the potential to negatively impact hunting and fishing in this province. We have enough of society looking to limit/restrict/ban hunting and shooting in all of its forms. When it is fellow hunters and fishers helping further those anti-hunting agendas it paints a grim picture for the future of the sport and our ability to participate in it.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
really no intention to get back into that ....i never said they shouldnt have the option of early fall....i said i didnt like them in with other forms of archery i think....long before that thread you refer to...i've often said give them their own season...even if it means taking away two weeks from bow fo the record....some others also suggested various seasons and other configurations for the seasons and i agreed....one was even rifle/muzzie first and bow in november or something....and i was ok with that lol.....i don't care when they hunt with them...before or after anyone else....I just think they should be in a separate season....cuz they are different imo.....some just took it as a personal attack against their hunting method I guess.....

Irony.....hmmm....Ive been called worse.....but just because I have an opinion on the muzzie/bow thing....does that not mean I can't have an opinion on other matters....? the worst thing I've been called or had insinuated against me is that I'm in the anti hunting column.....and really nothing could be farther from the truth....with limited income I support alot of hunting groups, I regularly donate stuff to non profit hunting groups, specifically ones designed to get kids outdoors. As much and as often as I can. I've hosted a kid who had a serious diagnosis of some form of brain cancer thru some make a wish deal when I was guiding all on my dime, with help from many on this site. I won an all expense hunting trip last year....I actually donated it to a non profit hunting group that does a ton for kids - and thats why i gave it to them to auction off. Just this Monday I sent off a little gift package to a an 8 year old hunter who just took their first turkeys this spring for no other reason than I thought she would love having some gear with a Canadian favor to it...and until now, never really mentioned it. The only thing that pisses me off is when folks think I'm anti hunting or selfish......actions speak louder than words typed out on a keyboard. Sorry I was ranting ( and enough slapping of my own back)...couldnt help it. I try to do nothing but promote hunting....

One more time.....i dont understand why u r not arguing or in favor of having the rifle hunters share the woods with you/me/us in the early seasons? Many were not....and really...thats just as ironic as me wanting modern modern muzzies out of the bow seasons.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts