Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone shot one of these new Matrix crossbows? I was looking at Foodplotters post on them and they sure seem impressive. Its amazing how far the technology has advanced.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have not shot the 405 but I have shot the 380. It was relatively easy to cock and shot very well. However I have also shot vixens on up and don't personaly see the need for the speed. I have taken deer out to 30 yards with the 305fps excals, and arrows always passed through with plenty of power and speed. I figure the more power the more vibration, string wear, wear on parts and targets. One benefit would be less drop. I firgure out to 40 it would be pretty flat shooting. To me the 330 looks like the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I was going to buy the 380 this past fall but ,since i knew i wasn't going to be able to get time to use it last fall,i decided to hold off til tax time. Looks like the380 better drop sharply in price now because of this new offering.With this selling around a hundred bucks more,it is bound to cut into 380 sales.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I haven't shot the Matrix,but I hear it's a fine crossbow.I hope you can get a chance to shoot one before you buy it.All the best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an excal 330fps (Eclipse), my buddy has a 355 (Equinox) and his father has a 380 (Matrix black-out).

You might notice a slight difference in strength you need to cock each, but not as much as you might assume, and the fps and draw weight doesn't effect the parabolic arc of the fired bolt as much as we'd expected. (theres a difference but its inchs not feet) Besides all that, none of us are attempting shots at deer outside 30 yards.

With the scopes dialed in it won't matter which you choose. It's all about bragging rights. We spend an afternoon shooting targets and the guy with the heaviest draw just has a harder time pulling his arrows out of the target bag :blink:

·
Gone Fishing!
1,857 Posts
Has anyone shot one of these new Matrix crossbows? I was looking at Foodplotters post on them and they sure seem impressive. Its amazing how far the technology has advanced.
Surf on over to the Excalibur website. I think there is a recall on the new Matrix 405.

Something to do with the trigger mechanism?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the Excalibur 405 it is very fast and is very easy to cock with the new crank cocking aid I bought. I love it and cant wait to use it deer and moose hunting this year. My best friend and hunting buddy for the last 20 years got pick for the moose hunt 2015 season 1 zone 2 cant wait. Yes there is a recall on the 405 trigger the metal was to soft and could ware so it was replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts