Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dumby self didn't realize and let my fac card expire. Am I able to renew it even tho it's expired or do I have to do the entire application process over again? Does anyone know, I just seen my card and realized what had happened.

· Registered
482 Posts
No, one does not need to "redo the course", but yes, one does need to use the long form (rather than the short one).

As far as I know the only individuals who need to "redo the course" are convicted offenders who wish to become licensed again and those who - for whatever reason - were ineligible to get credit for the past course at the time of the course (e.g.: those younger than twelve, or younger than eighteen, or those under a court-ordered prohibition).

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
If my PAL is expired do I have to take the course again?
Submitted by Sheldon on Sat, 08/19/2017 - 12:24am
THE SHORT ANSWER IS NO!.
Many times we get questions from persons who at some point in time had taken the Canadian firearms safety course (post-1995) or the Canadian restricted firearms safety course. Many times people tell us they took the training in another town or province however the training and documents are federal and still stand as valid regardless of which province offered the training.
Let's take a closer look at the matter and clear up a few basic points and provide some application and renewal information. Note: A non-expired PAL can be renewed online.
*Visit Firearms | Royal Canadian Mounted Police for more information.
Question 1. My PAL/RPAL has expired, do I have to take the course again?.
Answer 1. No!!!. Once you have been issued a PAL/RPAL your information is in the federal database and remains thereafter your license expires. You simply use form RCMP 5592. (longer form) We have heard from many people saying they just thought that if their PAL has expired that they have to take the course again!. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY FALSE.

2, Question. I had a PAL/RPAL years ago and let it expire and I do NOT have my card any longer (missing/lost) I also do not have a copy of my original course report or even how to find my instructor?.
2, Answer. No problem. Do you still have your old expired PAL card?. If so?, just write in the expired PAL# on the application form #RCMP 5592. (Section 1A). If you don't have your expired PAL card and you can't get a copy of your original course report just call 1-800-731-4000 and explain your situation and an agent should be able to ask you some questions to find you in the system. Form RCMP 5592 is the form you will need. Cut and paste the web link listed above in a search engine to get you there quickly. Also please note: If you passed the CFSC before February 1, 1999, you are considered to have met both requirements for the non-restricted and the restricted courses.

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
Daughter and sil are now testing negative Joe. The wife is doin really good..little bit of a heavy chest.
Me...I'm dyi ng...raw throat..plugged head..blood clots and nose bleeds..chest full of crap..no energy whatsoever...this chit sucks. THIS I CANTELL YOU FOR SURE !!

· Registered
18,887 Posts
Daughter and sil are now testing negative Joe. The wife is doin really good..little bit of a heavy chest.
Me...I'm dyi ng...raw throat..plugged head..blood clots and nose bleeds..chest full of crap..no energy whatsoever...this chit sucks. THIS I CANTELL YOU FOR SURE !!
Glad to hear about your family wonder if you may have covid and that virus flu if even possible or what ever they call it You sound exactly like me when I had it what am I saying next week will be week six and last night woke up a few times hacking and could not get a breath seems it hangs on forever. After 10 days I could not take it anymore and the doc gave me the two puffers and pills to try to clear my lungs only after that did I start to see a difference in my chest but they tore the stomach out of me and just moved the bleeding if you know what I mean
Are you on anything take care the best you can my friend I have never had covid so far but know 100% what that virus does I thought I was finished

· Registered
7,795 Posts
Here’s a get well soon card with 🌸 🌺 💐 flowers!

· Registered
1,790 Posts
The last time I renewed mine (online) it only took about 2 weeks before I got my new card. I just renewed again in Dec. (online) as it expires in Feb. I got an acknowledgement and they took the payment. I'm hoping to get my new card before Feb ??

Kevin, that doesn't sound good ! Take care !! >Pete

· Registered
707 Posts
I also renewed mine online in December, super easy and last I checked it was getting processed, mine expires in March so I'm not worried about getting it late.

Also wishing you and the Family a speedy recovering Kevin!

· Registered
3,789 Posts
I renewed mine online, right in the height of covid. May of 2020. Less than 2 months… which really surprised me that it was that quick, considering what was going on in the world at that point. 2-3 weeks would be awesome.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts