Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Fires

11K views 393 replies 25 participants last post by  superslickie 
#1 ·
Boy some bad fires are happening. Winds here have been really high all day. Residents are being asked to leave western parts of the province. Not good, no rain, no rain in site.

#8 ·
They just announced another 5 or 6 areas...sub divisions lucasville rd...pockwock rd...Haliburton hills...reports of 35 or so homes destroyed out in tantallon...strong SW winds here all day...Fiona debris stacked up 6 ft high in places...lakes all down 2 to 3 ft...rivers mostly grass and no appreciable rain for weeks !
This chit is as real as it gets....terrible losses are only starting to come in now !-
Hopefully the folks all get evacked out in time

#10 ·
Definitely really really bad. Tantallan all the way to Sackville drive. Most subdivisions involved are heavily treed. My son and family are headed here soon as they can get out. Son wife two kids two cats and one dog

• Sad
Reactions: 3macs1
#19 ·
My son is in middle Sackville just of lucasville rd. They were at a lacrosse game in Dartmouth when the evac notification came, hopefully they get home to rescue their critters. Sent couple texts no answer from any of them. Don’t know whether to head out there or not ffs!!!!!

#20 ·
We have not enough Fire Crews here on the Cape , they hold back hiring till May 1st even tho budgets are out April 1 , the few they hired are mostly older people .
if one breaks out in the wrong area , we can be nailed just like we see now on the mainland .
Not enough clean up or fire breaks have been put in since Fiona thru the Province , First real bit of warm weather and this is start of the warmer months .

#21 ·
Not sure what's up with all these fires. We have had heatwaves ever since I can remember, and things have been much drier. Somewhere around 12 -14 new fires today on the mainland. From what I heard today ... the bad one in Hammonds Plains started with someone having a fire on his deck and it caught the deck and house on fire, and went from there. I can't verify if this is true or not. Last I heard.... at least 10 houses lost ... so far. I think there have also been some houses lost in the fire up Barrington way. Not a good situation at all.

#24 ·
Old folk always said to be expected after Hurricanes They would say natures way of cleaning up the mess and making room for new growth
Lots of fuel down to burn that is for sure around here Plus little snow last winter and the ground is very very dry here at least In fact some are worried about their wells and not even summer yet

#22 ·
I'm in Bedford so highway 102 is between us and the fire thankfully! Still it has my wife a bit freaked! Based on the Windy app it looks like the wind may have turned some compared to late afternoon. Hope that helps stop the fire from spreading so fast.

TripleD I hope you family is all OK! Everyone else's too of course.

#25 ·
The wind is blowing hard here again this morning. Coming from the north now. Not sure if that will help or just cause another issue. I heard last night and just kinda confirmed on the news ... the fire in the HRM started when some people did some illegal burning in their backyard.... not from a deck fire. What they are saying ... a couple young adults decided to set a bunch of tires on fire. These people should end up in jail. They are old enough to know how dry things are understand the burn ban. No rain in sight until the end of the week, and then not much.

#26 · (Edited)
The wind is blowing hard here again this morning. Coming from the north now. Not sure if that will help or just cause another issue. I heard last night and just kinda confirmed on the news ... the fire in the HRM started when some people did some illegal burning in their backyard.... not from a deck fire. What they are saying ... a couple young adults decided to set a bunch of tires on fire. These people should end up in jail. They are old enough to know how dry things are understand the burn ban. No rain in sight until the end of the week, and then not much.
Unreal WTF is wrong with people

#33 ·
Fire bans and times in place for a reason , the amount of fuel on the forest floors and dry spring in many places , it's been damp on the Cape but I seen several small over flow brooks are already Mid Summer levels with grasses showing or growing .

the amount of wood we cleaned up alone where we could is not even the tip of the Iceberg , I say simply too bad but put full ban on all outdoor fires till we have good two weeks of rain and that won't happen soon .

Huricane season starts June 1 st unfortunatley and winds are really whipped up again here after dying down last evening . One small human error like tossing a Cig Butt out a window in the wrong place and poof up she goes again .

#32 ·
my son and his family live in Hubley...they have 3 small girls, aged 3 to 7...ashes falling all around the property...coming in the screen door...phones and TV's going off every half hour with new evac notifications...the girls were really really scared last night...actually freaking out..wanting to leave. They landed here about 11 pm...feeling much better and soooo much safer this morning.
My daughters friend lost everything they had yesterday...small girls 2 and 4. We're putting together some clothing and small stuff / toys to occupy the girls... This is devastating for some and ohhh so scary chit for a lot of folks !

#34 ·
my son and his family live in Hubley...they have 3 small girls, aged 3 to 7...ashes falling all around the property...coming in the screen door...phones and TV's going off every half hour with new evac notifications...the girls were really really scared last night...actually freaking out..wanting to leave. They landed here about 11 pm...feeling much better and soooo much safer this morning.
My daughters friend lost everything they had yesterday...small girls 2 and 4. We're putting together some clothing and small stuff / toys to occupy the girls... This is devastating for some and ohhh so scary chit for a lot of folks !
Right there is the importance of family providing comfort and a safe haven.
Terrible that people and families are losing everything.

#35 ·
I REALLY have to express this , DNR&R DO NOT HAVE THE MAN POWER HIRED EVERY YR to handle what is taking place in HRM and other mainland areas . They rely on Volunteer Departments and regular fire services taking away from the everyday safety in the Province , they knew this yr and next few will be bad after the Huricane , this is just the start of the summer as Kevin said places with 6 ft or higher of Fiona Damage .

After getting shafted around by DNR&R my son went back to N.B for summer season to work with possible relocation permanately , 2 others he worked with as well left N.S DNR&R as well and one went to Ontario and other to N.B both them said enough of the b.s with way the Department is run .

my son called yesterday to check on us saying his Phone rang 5 times asking him come to work from N.S DNR&R saying they needed him ASAP , well his response was ya screwed me around and now I'm elsewhere working full time and battling wildfires elsewhere and NO I won't come back .

Cannot treat unfairly and when Crisis breaks out expect them come running to help. Our hearts go out to ALL those affected by this going on in the Mainland areas , I've reached out to couple of our members on here possibly affected when things flared up in their areas to check on them , he's hoping this comes to a fast ending .

very sad for those heavily affected , words really cannot describe this

#37 ·
As i sit here looking out the window with my tea, the sky is gray, gusty winds making the tree tops sway, i hope we get the much needed rain forcast for today. Showers but still something.
I wonder what i can do to ease the issues of the people affected other than wish for rain, lots of rain. Ive put my contact info out if people need a place to go. Just sit and wait

#38 ·
As i sit here looking out the window with my tea, the sky is gray, gusty winds making the tree tops sway, i hope we get the much needed rain forcast for today. Showers but still something.
I wonder what i can do to ease the issues of the people affected other than wish for rain, lots of rain. Ive put my contact info out if people need a place to go. Just sit and wait
[/QUOTE
As ALWAYS Tim your heart is in the right place , willing to help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.