Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

So it's my first time my friend and I are planning on doing some hunting this year, looking to do mostly bear and deer. We have 2 locations potentially picked out but we're wondering how others choose there locations?
We tried to find signs of bears around lately but haven't been having much luck. We were thinking to do mostly stalk hunting also but is it worth it or should we just bait?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
put the time in doing scouting - doesnt matter what youre hunting, all critters need to eat. Find food sources & find the trails to/from those food sources.

most hunters bait both bear & deer however there's more to it than just dumping bait in the woods any old place.
you'll have better opportunity if you set up your bait in areas where the critters are living, travelling, bedding, etc.
it sounds simple enough - yet lots get frustrated because theyre simply not hunting in the right place.

Knowing the critters AND knowing the area and how they use it will bring the most opportunities.

best of luck to you and your bud.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Where do you plan to hunt- general area
Bears are on the increase but still lots of places without bears depending on the part of the province Most areas have deer. As stated above do lots of scouting may be tough right now with things so dry if your not experienced but if it rains a good amount then sign will be easier to find. Best bet is to talk with the locals and other hunters in the areas you intend to hunt most will be happy to give advice especially farmers having problems with wildlife. Also help you to know where others hunt in that area so you don’t interfere with the other hunters in the area.

Reactions: Hunterdog01

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where do you plan to hunt- general area
Bears are on the increase but still lots of places without bears depending on the part of the province Most areas have deer. As stated above do lots of scouting may be tough right now with things so dry if your not experienced but if it rains a good amount then sign will be easier to find. Best bet is to talk with the locals and other hunters in the areas you intend to hunt most will be happy to give advice especially farmers having problems with wildlife. Also help you to know where others hunt in that area so you don’t interfere with the other hunters in the area.
Hey,
I'll mostly be looking for bears in pictou/Eastern shore areas if there's much around I heard there was some activity earlier this year.
Thanks for all the Advice!

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Hey,
I'll mostly be looking for bears in pictou/Eastern shore areas if there's much around I heard there was some activity earlier this year.
Thanks for all the Advice!
Eastern shore to Pictou lol! Let’s say about half way between is Truro. Just outside Truro is North River. Go past north river fire station and keep going, tons of woods and lots of bears. But make sure you have a compass and know how to use it!

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Just remembered Malagash is now overpopulated with bears. The whole area actually Tatamagouche ,River John , Malagash,Wallace. The black bear population really exploded up that way the last 8-10 yrs. Counted 8 driving from Northumberland links golf course ( Pugwash) to River John couple weeks ago. Then 4 more down in the Malagash Point area same evening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eastern shore to Pictou lol! Let’s say about half way between is Truro. Just outside Truro is North River. Go past north river fire station and keep going, tons of woods and lots of bears. But make sure you have a compass and know how to use

Th
Perfect I roughly know that area too! Time to do some homework lol Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've only seen one bear around Malagash this year but I've seen their scat and other sign. Just last Sunday night/Monday morning we had a bear in the compost bin at the cottage up there. Also saw lots of droppings along the trail to Tatamagouche when biking.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
I've only seen one bear around Malagash this year but I've seen their scat and other sign. Just last Sunday night/Monday morning we had a bear in the compost bin at the cottage up there. Also saw lots of droppings along the trail to Tatamagouche when biking.
My neighbour has a cottage in malagash as well. Another friend has a camp on the point. Both have seen bears this year, guy with the camp shot one each year for the last 3-4 yrs. More bears then deer now.
Perfect I roughly know that area too! Time to do some homework lol Thanks for the tips!
Where is your place?

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Go down towards the point ( Malagash) til pavement ends and turn onto Left on blue sea rd. So the park will be on your right, go a bit further (don’t turn right ) there will be a good woods road on your left, base rd I think it’s called, I hunted there in the past and never saw any other hunters. Was a very good spot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just remembered Malagash is now overpopulated with bears. The whole area actually Tatamagouche ,River John , Malagash,Wallace. The black bear population really exploded up that way the last 8-10 yrs. Counted 8 driving from Northumberland links golf course ( Pugwash) to River John couple weeks ago. Then 4 more down in the Malagash Point area same evening.
Wow I had no idea there was so many
My neighbour has a cottage in malagash as well. Another friend has a camp on the point. Both have seen bears this year, guy with the camp shot one each year for the last 3-4 yrs. More bears then deer now.

Where is your place?
I'm in stellarton area but do lots of driving

·
Registered
706 Posts
Nice area. That where you hunt?
Do you know any of the locals?
I have not hunted that area yet. Though I may some this fall. I hunt in Goffs behind the Halifax airport and some on the North Mountain not too far from Sunken Lake.
To this point we've been so focused on renovating the cottage we haven't got around to meeting people.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
I have not hunted that area yet. Though I may some this fall. I hunt in Goffs behind the Halifax airport and some on the North Mountain not too far from Sunken Lake.
To this point we've been so focused on renovating the cottage we haven't got around to meeting people.
Ok most of the locals in the general area are Langiles,lol. Used to be prime deer country, we just find it a little too far to hunt on a regular basis, getting old I guess. Do plan to do some goose/ duck hunting up in Tatamagouche this year tho.
Your the accountant guy aren’t you, wondering if you know/ knew any of the people from what used to be Dockrill Horwhich Lassiter.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Ok most of the locals in the general area are Langiles,lol. Used to be prime deer country, we just find it a little too far to hunt on a regular basis, getting old I guess. Do plan to do some goose/ duck hunting up in Tatamagouche this year tho.
Your the accountant guy aren’t you, wondering if you know/ knew any of the people from what used to be Dockrill Horwhich Lassiter.
I know what you mean. Living in Bedford as I do, it is a ways to travel unless you're going for a couple days at least. I can be in Goffs in 20 minutes versus at least an hour and a half to Malagash.

Guilty. I'm the accountant, or was would be more accurate I guess. I don't know the firm you mention. The company I worked for dealt with Ernst & Young, Deloitte and KPMG. Yea, all three of them, each one for a different aspect. Tax, audit and advisory. After Enron and a few of the other scandals years ago, larger companies especially were supposed to split the work up so that one branch of a single accounting firm wasn't helping you cook the books and another branch swearing that what they were doing was legal and ethical.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts