Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

· Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In addition to the winter supper was thinking last night about all the items I ate or was cooked at home when I was growing up that I have not eaten in over 40 years and not even sure if one can still buy it today
I will start
Leg of mutten was a few times a month for us
Capon
Boiled dinner with pork hocks
Pickled pigs feet
Blood pudding and eggs
New brunswick canned herring man I loved those
Head cheese
Sandwiches with sliced chopped ham or french onion loaf
Dulse
Eels
Wieners with the plastic on them that would boil off and tasted totally different than a wiener today
Beef chicken and turkey boil in the bags with gravy over fries
Kurds was like a cottage cheese
Russian bologna man that was good

To name a few off the top of my head

· Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Larsen weiners used to have plastic on them, but you're supposed to take the plastic off before you boil them. Never heard tell of ones that came off when you boiled them.
maybe we did it wrong we would boil them and then take the plastic out of the water :p These came in a ball like roll with about 2 dozen in the pack

· Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Cottage cheese and yogurt when the milk truck used to stop at your house.
I still have almost two full cases of the old glass milk bottles and maybe 8 or so of the small creamer and chocolate milk bottles plus one of each of the carrier trays they used For each type. I would set them up on my deck for display Ok all you old farts what was the name of the chocolate milk
This one If you look close to the far left just over the first step you will see the milk bottles with white latex paint in them and the carrier painted black right over that shoe planter
Liquid Drinkware Bottle Wood Glass bottle

Triangle Rectangle Gas Jewellery Auto part

· Registered
3,789 Posts
I remember my father buying those small bottles of chocolate milk that had a paper cap (flat stopper that set in a groove of the bottle) on them. Not sure what company it was from, but I'm guessing "Farmers", since it was pretty much the only Dairy around our area.

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
YESSIRREE...had the "straw hole" in the center of the flap ! Twin Cities / Farmers Dairies !

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
Everyone's shed, wharf, fish store and porch around here had salted / dried pollack hanging up when we were growing up. You walked into someones wharf..you whipped out your pocket knife and cut a pc off to snack on!

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
We had 2 places here in the village that kept Tancook Saurkraut on hand. The truck used to bring up the 50 gal wooden barrels every couple months. Our next door neighbor always kept a barrel in the upper part of his fish store ( old fish plant) he kept a big roll of the brown kraft waxed paper beside it in the dispenser and a roll of butchers tape sitting in a trough with water...pull a strip of tape thru the water...wets the underside and sticks the paper. The good old days !

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Sun Up orange crystals mixed in old water and fighting over the Kellogg’s variety pack. I always wanted the Frosted Flakes.
Spanish Rice fixings in a box. Just add steamed rice.

· Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I remember my father buying those small bottles of chocolate milk that had a paper cap (flat stopper that set in a groove of the bottle) on them. Not sure what company it was from, but I'm guessing "Farmers", since it was pretty much the only Dairy around our area.
here they were Krim-Ko maybe spelled wrong

· Registered
3,789 Posts
As a kid ... I had many meals with just a peanut butter sandwich and a big glass of ice cold Jolley Miller or Tang. Corned beef (can) hash was another staple. My parents were very frugal. Not much money in those days. Hardly ever went to a restaurant. Nowadays, kids get to eat at restaurants once or twice a week if not more.

· Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Remember this one tasted terrible but was in a huge bottle for the same price so we all drank it
Here they had a table and chairs in the back of the store and 25 cents got you one Drink in so they got the bottle and a bag of chips
Bottle Liquid Water Fluid Soft drink

· Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Christ you guys must have been the poor kids drinking the orange crystals and tang mom bought us the old beep from the milk man:p
Rectangle Font Publication Advertising Signage

Another one of my favorites I have not seen in many years :( the old iron bru
Bottle Liquid Glass bottle Drink Fluid

· Registered
419 Posts
maybe we did it wrong we would boil them and then take the plastic out of the water :p These came in a ball like roll with about 2 dozen in the pack
Dude I don’t think that’s good lol.
I remember those hotdogs I hated peeling the plastic off.

you shouldn’t let a plastic water bottle set in sun I can only imagine boiling plastic would atleast release something harsh lol

· Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dude I don’t think that’s good lol.
I remember those hotdogs I hated peeling the plastic off.

you shouldn’t let a plastic water bottle set in sun I can only imagine boiling plastic would at least release something harsh lol
Dude when I joined the mines we cleaned the grease off your hands every day before showering with transformer oil and guys slicked their hair back with it
Today is it called PCB's some plastic off wieners is the least of my worries :)

· Administrator
11,058 Posts
LMFAO...not much wonder you got glow in the dark blood and a club foot....don't tell me you gargled with the puddle water from the coal floor...ha ha ha
Eyebrow Eyelash Jaw Yellow Iris

1 - 20 of 106 Posts