Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 106 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
LMFAO...not much wonder you got glow in the dark blood and a club foot....don't tell me you gargled with the puddle water from the coal floor...ha ha ha
View attachment 99366
Na parts washers and me being stupid not wearing rubber gloves and washing my old greasy clothes in the solution gave me the cancer that has been proven from the very rare form I have which is linked to excessive exposure to hydro carbons which at the time didnot even know what they were really
I also didnot use that oil other than a few times and only because I didnot think it took the grease off. In those days no such thing as msds sheets iif there was they was sure never showed us any I am seeing a third eye starting to form but buckmark and the boys tell me that is from the vaccines or maybe it is a pimple :D:D
I would say you look back and think the same as I do coming from the fishing industry half of what we used every day can no longer even be on a site let alone used by people
take care

Registered
View attachment 99365
found these old bottles recently
The tall Pepsi is a returnable bottle probably from the 1970's though maybe into the 1980's. I know because of the ceramic label. The stubby beside it is a non returnable bottle, but I don't remember us using them for Pepsi in the Maritimes. I recall Pepsi always having distinctive molded bottles. That bottle would have had a paper label at one time and could be used for any flavour the bottler handled. It may well be that the cap is not original to the bottle.
I worked at Maritime Beverages who handled Pepsi, 7UP, Canada Dry, Sussex and Crush plus a couple other lines through much of NS and NB from 1977 until 1989.

Registered
The tall Pepsi is a returnable bottle probably from the 1970's though maybe into the 1980's. I know because of the ceramic label. The stubby beside it is a non returnable bottle, but I don't remember us using them for Pepsi in the Maritimes. I recall Pepsi always having distinctive molded bottles. That bottle would have had a paper label at one time and could be used for any flavour the bottler handled. It may well be that the cap is not original to the bottle.
I worked at Maritime Beverages who handled Pepsi, 7UP, Canada Dry, Sussex and Crush plus a couple other lines through much of NS and NB from 1977 until 1989.
I got many stubby pepsi bottles, still one with the wrapping(half full of 40 yr old Pepsi too lol), see if I can find it tomorrow.

Registered
Dude when I joined the mines we cleaned the grease off your hands every day before showering with transformer oil and guys slicked their hair back with it
Today is it called PCB's some plastic off wieners is the least of my worries :)
Yea. We would break old heating pipes with the asbestos insulation on them using a sledge hammer on the cast iron elbows and unions. Knock 'em down and throw the stuff around like it was harmless! Same with some of the old fiber ceiling tiles.
Honestly at the time we thought it was just harmless dust! None us us got lung cancer that I know of though. Well not yet anyway.

Also worked with contact cement and other adhesives and paints. Some days I swear I was high as a kite and could taste the fumes!
Ahh the good old days!!

Registered
Bottle Liquid Glass bottle Alcoholic beverage Ingredient

Not really a food but definitely from the past.I can still remember going into the cold back porch of my grandmothers house on Yukon St in halifax,and grabbing one of these cold cola or root beer pops out of the plastic case.And there was always a fancy crystal glass bowl full of the yellow bagged no name chocolates on the livingroom coffee table.Cant get stuff like that today.

Registered
View attachment 99418
Not really a food but definitely from the past.I can still remember going into the cold back porch of my grandmothers house on Yukon St in halifax,and grabbing one of these cold cola or root beer pops out of the plastic case.And there was always a fancy crystal glass bowl full of the yellow bagged no name chocolates on the livingroom coffee table.Cant get stuff like that today.
You can still buy pop shoppe soda
Exit 8 102hwy elmsdsle
Turn right
Go straight thru the light
Its the store on the right just before the next set of lights (lenos stop shop)
They sell a bunch of stuff

Registered
Now I'm starting to feel old. I remember most of these things mentioned. The covers on the milk and cream bottles would freeze in the winter and lift off. The empty bottles could be found in the fields filled with nesting mice. Curds were one of my favourite foods. I remember my father stopping at Joe Caffiers store at the Shacks in Bras D'or and picking up dried caplin and buttermilk. We shared them on the way home from hauling coal. My introduction to the man's world. Bread and molasses was a staple. Blood pudding was a favourite of mine. I would kill for for a roll of maple leaf pudding today. I'm so glad I grew up in those days.

Registered
My introduction to the man鈥檚 world was the afternoon my grandfather took me mackerel fishing off the old breakwater wharf in Port Hilford. I was maybe thirteen or so and he took out his pocket knife and cut off a chunk from a twist of chewing tobacco and said, 鈥 Here ya go son, chew on this and spit out the juice into the water.

I know you can buy snuff in a tin today but I do not think you can buy a plug or a twist of tobacco. He would buy a tin can of them, perhaps a dozen to the tin. Definitely not food but went into your mouth so鈥.

Registered
My mom would buy a black or blood pudding and a white pudding. I preferred the black one. Also I remember pickled or jelled pigs feet or pork hocks in a large jar. I loved them. Another one of my favourites was Nestle鈥檚 Quick
Chocolate milk mixture, just add milk.
Smoked kipper snacks in a can with a pull tab.

Administrator
I used to eat fried blood pudding.....till I saw my aunt making blood pudding, AFTER I witnessed her diving down on the freshly killed beef ! Soon as it hit the slaughter house floor, she was down there, with her buckets in hand to capture the bright red life juice from its neck !!!!
I never ate the stuff again.. to this very day !!!!

Administrator
There's sooooo many foods listed here that I eat regularly...it's amazing really how much of it we all have in common when it comes to our palettes !! Kinda kool to see !

Administrator
A fella SHOULD go back thru it and write down everything listed that he likes, make a bucket list of it, and try to check it allll off and see how many times for each meal before yrs end...lol
Next rainy day think ima doin it !!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Now I'm starting to feel old. I remember most of these things mentioned. The covers on the milk and cream bottles would freeze in the winter and lift off. The empty bottles could be found in the fields filled with nesting mice. Curds were one of my favourite foods. I remember my father stopping at Joe Caffiers store at the Shacks in Bras D'or and picking up dried caplin and buttermilk. We shared them on the way home from hauling coal. My introduction to the man's world. Bread and molasses was a staple. Blood pudding was a favourite of mine. I would kill for for a roll of maple leaf pudding today. I'm so glad I grew up in those days.
Makes two of us nice to see you posting happy new year and hope you and the the dog are still doing well . On the pudding I am not sure if Joe hoyal still makes it in new waterford or not but will check
His was real good also
Cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
My mom would buy a black or blood pudding and a white pudding. I preferred the black one. Also I remember pickled or jelled pigs feet or pork hocks in a large jar. I loved them. Another one of my favourites was Nestle鈥檚 Quick
Chocolate milk mixture, just add milk.
Smoked kipper snacks in a can with a pull tab.
I still eat the kipper snacks buy them at the costco in a six pack . The old bag of salted dry caplin as mentioned above is the one I miss and cannot find any more

Registered
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I used to eat fried blood pudding.....till I saw my aunt making blood pudding, AFTER I witnessed her diving down on the freshly killed beef ! Soon as it hit the slaughter house floor, she was down there, with her buckets in hand to capture the bright red life juice from its neck !!!!
I never ate the stuff again.. to this very day !!!!
Never would I think something like that would bother you :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
My introduction to the man鈥檚 world was the afternoon my grandfather took me mackerel fishing off the old breakwater wharf in Port Hilford. I was maybe thirteen or so and he took out his pocket knife and cut off a chunk from a twist of chewing tobacco and said, 鈥 Here ya go son, chew on this and spit out the juice into the water.

I know you can buy snuff in a tin today but I do not think you can buy a plug or a twist of tobacco. He would buy a tin can of them, perhaps a dozen to the tin. Definitely not food but went into your mouth so鈥.
Old macdonalds twist I think you are talking about it was like being on cocaine if you were a coal miner we all used it
As I aged I switched to the fig of club ( milder) and then the bag of red man
Looking back they were cancer sticks and I stopped in maybe 95 after my best friend at the time who was a huge chewer died of throat cancer That being said if you didnot chew in the pit you were a pussy and they made no bones about saying it here boy put some hair on your gonads and get rid of that gum this will make a man out of you ya maybe after you puked for the first week :( and sweet jesus if you ever made the mistake of swallowing it best just sit on the toilet for a few days
Tin Aluminum can Drink Beverage can Drinkware

Tin Aluminum can Tin can Beverage can Cylinder

GREYBEARD
I was going to mention Beep but you beat me to it 3macs1.
I couldn't get enough of that stuff as a kid.
My Mums version of slumgullion, mashed potatoes, hamburger, covered with a can of spaghetti.
We made it only once for our kids as they thought it was disgusting.
One of my fav's growing up, and did it once or twice at the hunting camp.

21 - 40 of 106 Posts