Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys have a freezer running in an unheated out building like a barn or garage year round
Mrs of course needs another one, three in the basement is not enough :( and wants me to get another and place in the garage
It gets real cold out there and will freeze a 5 gallon bucket of water in the winter
I have been told no problem and I have been told no it will screw the freezer so don't know who to believe
Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Thought about doing the same thing but have since found space in my attached garage for my second freezer so the temp doesn’t get too cold.

Here‘s an article you might be interested in which provides some insight to running a freezer in an unheated out building. Go to: garagetransformed.com>freezer-in-garage.

…… btw this author grew up in Pennsylvania which I’m thinking has similar winter weather conditions.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. That is what I was told by one guy that it would have to be fitted with an external temp control and I would have to trick it with a light bulb in the winter
That being said a friend has three in his garage with dead animals in it but I don't think he knows if they thaw a bit and then refreeze plus he is not eating them so not sure if it would make any difference to him
So guess what mama lets clean out one we have :) that will go over well
thanks

·
Registered
804 Posts
Worked for a guy who had two freezers full of beef in the outside shop with no heat. He never had an issue. Ran them for years.

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
We kept them plugged in outside for years, to keep our frozen lobster bait in...plugged in all year round too !!

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I may look for a small one like 5 cubic feet and only put veggies in it to see how it works in my garage
take care

1 - 6 of 6 Posts