Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That G96 seems to work well on my Ruger. Gave it a good cleaning and if nothing else it smells good ,,lol
I went over it with a dry cloth and there seems to be a film left on to protect.
That's just what I am looking for, a light film to prevent rust in this humid weather,, terrible muggy.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
G96 is good stuff and yes leaves a protective film.
Not my go to stuff but second for sure. The best I have ever used is this which they stopped making but I managed to get a case before it was all gone so good for life
What ever one I use if storing I use cotton gloves making the final wipes to make sure no skin contact. Found it makes a huge difference
Take care
000_0594.jpg

·
Administrator
9,933 Posts
told ya you'd like the G96 Alan !! It has great creeping abilities too !

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I sprayed a gun cloth with the G-96 and wiped down all my guns this evening .I have an old Savage 30-30 bolt action and as soon as the humidity starts this gun will turn moldy (the wood) can't figure out why this is and it's the only one that does it. wipes right off , nothing on the metal, and when this happens the wood has a musty smell.

·
Administrator
9,933 Posts
Did you try taking the stock off the gun and wipe / spray it with 99% rubbing alcohol ? Might kill whatever mold spores are in the wood fibres

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No , I never tried that but I will. My brother gave it to me 30 years ago and every summer when the humidity goes up it gets moldy. I'll try the alcohol on it might work.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
The stock more than likely has a shellac finish . if mold is happening in high humidity .

·
Administrator
9,933 Posts
You're right Lloyd...might be in need of a do-over...strip and stain and verathane...or oil

·
GREYBEARD
2,875 Posts
I am going to have give the G96 a try, it's a spray can right?

·
GREYBEARD
2,875 Posts

·
GREYBEARD
2,875 Posts
Double posted again and I only clicked reply once, could be my rural internet messing things up.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
If you think the finish is shellac do not use alcohol on it . the alcohol will soften and remove the shellac finish . you will then need to refinish the stock .

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Yes g96 comes in spray form . g96 is my go to lube .however I will leave this caution do not use it on any browning stock that has the dura touch finish on it . I am of the opinion that the g96 reacts with the dura touch causing it to become soft and gooey .

·
GREYBEARD
2,875 Posts
Thanks Rembolt !

·
Administrator
9,933 Posts
We should get this made into T-shirts...banners...bumper stickers and flags !! Thanks Rembolt :LOL:

" Statistics show an AR 15 rifle is less likely to be involved in a crime than a liberal member of parliament "

·
GREYBEARD
2,875 Posts
I will take two t shirts size XL and four bumper stickers.:cool:

·
Administrator
9,933 Posts
I really should check into this 😉😉

1 - 20 of 20 Posts