Registered
16,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is this not Dave's new site who ran this one??I got the e-mail out of the blue
F'n June 1st 5 out with a high of what 7 and the furnaces still running unreal

·
Administrator
10,924 Posts
Picked up a few things today for the grand kids and our garden.. got my seed potatoes today....chieftains only this year. No ermosas or purple majesty around. Got 300 onion sets..some purple string beans for the girls...and they want to put a sunflower garden in on their front lawn weed bed...lol. needless to say I got their seeds..several colors too !!

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picked up a few things today for the grand kids and our garden.. got my seed potatoes today....chieftains only this year. No ermosas or purple majesty around. Got 300 onion sets..some purple string beans for the girls...and they want to put a sunflower garden in on their front lawn weed bed...lol. needless to say I got their seeds..several colors too !!
Cool. Kids love those purple beans and freak when they see they turn green when cooked
yep you have to buy what you can find this year and man are the seeds in the pack are cut back soime I would say 1/3 of normal
Cheers

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I built a small greenhouse this year to see if i could get more cukes and tomato. We started getting cukes in September and no sign of pumpkins.
Its only 8x10 but itll house all i want to put in
Still have the other bed for lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, potatoes, and such.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cool. Kids love those purple beans and freak when they see they turn green when cooked
yep you have to buy what you can find this year and man are the seeds in the pack are cut back soime I would say 1/3 of normal
Cheers
Went to Halifax Seed yesterday and picked up 6, 25gram bags of various seeds it was 44.00 dollars carrots 8.00a bag started whinning to the wife and she said to stop living in the 70s and on a positive note they have a great selection of seeds there.

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Went to Halifax Seed yesterday and picked up 6, 25gram bags of various seeds it was 44.00 dollars carrots 8.00a bag started whinning to the wife and she said to stop living in the 70s and on a positive note they have a great selection of seeds there.
Show your wife this and tell her what a deal you got :p
I grow these since they produce well for me and yesterday planted a 25gram pack in the greenhouse and look what they were for cucumbers yes that is 105 a pack :(. They were 28 like 3 years ago and some old goat will say when I am selling them 2.00 for a cucumber are you crazy :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Show your wife this and tell her what a deal you got :p
I grow these since they produce well for me and yesterday planted a 25gram pack in the greenhouse and look what they were for cucumbers yes that is 105 a pack :(. They were 28 like 3 years ago and some old goat will say when I am selling them 2.00 for a cucumber are you crazy :(
Your making me feal better acording to the vesey add that 30 cents a seed for those cucumbers but they sure look good almost like an english one, well most of the seed is going in today so we need a few showers soon.

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your making me feal better acording to the vesey add that 30 cents a seed for those cucumbers but they sure look good almost like an english one, well most of the seed is going in today so we need a few showers soon.
Yep I have tried them all and this is the only one that I can get to grow right outside and produces to me as close to an english as I can get to grow here
LOL I pay 1.00 a seed for some of the blight resistant tomatoes we sell :(

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after 9 hard weeks working every day on flowers and veggie transplants we are finally caught up planting just maintenance now and new orders
All four Greenhouse are puking and jammed beyond and man I cannot wait to build another this summer to make room. Only a small one 16x24 ( that is all the land I have left :() and just for pots but needed now
This is number 4 today and man I need some sun to get the flowers blooming. Begonias are unreal this year
Hopefully tomorrow I may get some veggie garden tilling done with will be like 2 weeks early for me to get potatoes in
Cheers
No4

No.3

·
Administrator
10,924 Posts
I put 5 hrs in today hand tilling..weeding..sifting ..emptying ..filling and planting some of the garden beds. I only hurt from my ear lobes to my ankles !!!! Rest of me is great !! Lmao

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put 5 hrs in today hand tilling..weeding..sifting ..emptying ..filling and planting some of the garden beds. I only hurt from my ear lobes to my ankles !!!! Rest of me is great !! Lmao
I hear you my friend. Been living on Aleve for 9 weeks now. take them until my stomach starts to burn stop for a few days and double my nexium and then start again
Six hours now is an average day for me now. The ones from sun up to sun down are gone with a lot more breaks than the past but the work gets done eventually as one can see. , Started with 200 bags of that dam soil and now may have 30 left. That alone would kill the average bear moving and mixing all that by hand. The watering alone takes hours and I have the 900 baskets on drippers. It would be days if they were hand watered
My poor mrs lasts now about 2 -3 hours and her bad knees sends her into the house so this year most of the load is on me alone
I get everything set up for her and just run with the flowers she wants and place pots in front of her to do and lug them away so she can sit on a stool

Every day someone comes in and says oh you are so lucky I would be in my glory doing this so relaxing and fun

Ya right lady if you only knew. Real fun out watering the 1500 pansy's I have outside at 4.00 today so the frost will not burn them
Take care
Joe

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I hear you my friend. Been living on Aleve for 9 weeks now. take them until my stomach starts to burn stop for a few days and double my nexium and then start again
Six hours now is an average day for me now. The ones from sun up to sun down are gone with a lot more breaks than the past but the work gets done eventually as one can see. , Started with 200 bags of that dam soil and now may have 30 left. That alone would kill the average bear moving and mixing all that by hand. The watering alone takes hours and I have the 900 baskets on drippers. It would be days if they were hand watered
My poor mrs lasts now about 2 -3 hours and her bad knees sends her into the house so this year most of the load is on me alone
I get everything set up for her and just run with the flowers she wants and place pots in front of her to do and lug them away so she can sit on a stool

Every day someone comes in and says oh you are so lucky I would be in my glory doing this so relaxing and fun

Ya right lady if you only knew. Real fun out watering the 1500 pansy's I have outside at 4.00 today so the frost will not burn them
Take care
Joe
Joe my man you gotta use technology to your advantage, i got me a few timers for watering the garden at whatever time i want. I set up a system of hoses on splitters and timers on each line, the main line stays on then each line can water according to the schedule i set up. 1,2,4,8,12 times a day by 15min increments.
I have the greenhouse set to water 6am/pm for 15min, the outside garden gets 4am/pm x30min, the flowers out front love the 8am sprinkler. And i can know i can go away and things will be fine.
My entire setup was less than $100 so its worth the bucks to invest to me

·
Administrator
10,924 Posts
Great if you have a well that can handle it..we don't.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
We got lucky when we bought the house, we have the only drilled well in our road, 350ft down an 8 inch hole and we have a spring running 20ft away down the property line
We have never run outta water, i check mid august and it might be down 20ft

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Joe my man you gotta use technology to your advantage, i got me a few timers for watering the garden at whatever time i want. I set up a system of hoses on splitters and timers on each line, the main line stays on then each line can water according to the schedule i set up. 1,2,4,8,12 times a day by 15min increments.
I have the greenhouse set to water 6am/pm for 15min, the outside garden gets 4am/pm x30min, the flowers out front love the 8am sprinkler. And i can know i can go away and things will be fine.
My entire setup was less than $100 so its worth the bucks to invest to me
I am about as advance as I can be Tim
Every greenhouse has a value bank like in this pic with dripper lines at .5 gallons per minute to water the baskets and where the gap is in the piping a fertilizer injection pump goes. It is missing here since they are like a grand and I take them in every winter and then reinstall usually mid june so they don't freeze or seize up out in the cold
I tried the mist foggers over the benches but they make a big mess, put way too much water in the greenhouse and miss a lot of flowers
The water has to be kept to a min since we monitor humidity levels very closely with alarms and have to stay under 75% or that is when molds start and you can loose all the flowers in days
So the flat surfaces I still water my hand with a special wand that gives a soft flow and keeps the flow under 5 gallons per minute
Timers don't work in the greenhouse and I have to check by hand daily to see what needs water and want doesn't. I wish is was easy but it is not
I use timers out side on my veggie garden however on drip lines where they work great
Cheers

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Great if you have a well that can handle it..we don't.
hooked up rain barrels/tote to the house downspout a few years back - works great if you get them elevated a bit above what youre watering.
Ordinary drip hoses dont work (not enough pressure) so a bit of manouvering around with a crimped hose and watering cans. A 1/10 hp electric transfer pump works good for moving a fair quantity of water around.

·
Administrator
10,924 Posts
In the past...I've used a 12 volt bilge pump (( 2500 GPH)) and a deep cycle battery for emptying my rain barrels into my gardens when needed. I have 1 barrel under my porch downspout and a 1 inch hose from the top of that one to the top of the second barrel. If the 1st barrel gets filled, the overflow goes int the 2nd one. ( have a 3rd one done up too...jic we get a lot of rain

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Things are looking good but the wisteria is done blooming
Plant Flower Plant community Petal Natural landscape

Plant Flower Plant community Natural landscape Tree

Flower Plant Purple Flowerpot Botany

1 - 20 of 25 Posts